I have never tried…

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
This is true. SASL is only ever balanced by happenstance really. It is impossible to make a SASL mission that will always be balanced. The same mission may have twice as many Suspect counters during one play than it has the next play, purely based on random map selection. The Activation numbers that activate those Suspects are also randomly determined. As are SANs, Random Event chances, etc. And then of course any number of random events can occur during play, both hurtful and helpful to your cause. '

The way to approach SASL is to campaign a squad through several missions, knowing that some might be a walk in the park whereas others may require tremendous good fortune late in the game to even have a chance. Knowing when to conserve force, take an 'L', and come back next mission can be vital. Don't expect the type of balance you will find in 2-player scenarios though.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never could quite figure out what the utility in game terms is filled b y Hara Kiri?
I've used it (once) in the (desperate) end game to keep from becoming a prisoner and giving up the extra CVP. It worked! Can't remember the scenario right now.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Never could quite figure out what the utility in game terms is filled b y Hara Kiri
To deny the opponent CVP. Try First Matanikau as The Japanese. It's a good opportunity to practise.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
To deny the opponent CVP. Try First Matanikau as The Japanese. It's a good opportunity to practise.
Huh....not familiar, but a scenario where Japanese CVP mean something just seems....wrong.....

Looking at the rulz for Hari-Kiri, the opponent still gets CVP for a leader that does it?

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Balance for individual missions isn’t the point of solitaire missions but like whoever said, it’s fun to see who survives the campaigns.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think I’ve got a paradrop flowchart around somewhere…

Unless it’s DYO I don’t know if any popular airborne scenarios. And I am an advocate of DYO.
Do you DYO " seriously " or just to have fun with? Ours were always like two kids in a candy store. Not a drop of seriousness in them. All for fun.🥰

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Yeah it’s mostly for fun but still trying to win. Same as regular scenarios really, if your opponents are bros like you as well.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Please, rehash away. What is ‘it’ ?
'It' : VBM freeze.
That horse has been beaten into glue years ago.

Tried it. Found it impossible to slavishly follow the programmed opponent instructions when there were obviously better moves available?
The point that appeals to me about SASL is that it really works well as a campaign, much better than just doing single scenarios, so then there is an element of force preservation at play, no last turn suicide charges.
It's also why I like HASLs so much, except SASL is relatively quick and easy to set up/tear down.
And the fact you don't know what you're facing so should keep the option of an orderly retreat in mind in case the randomizers throw a butt load of enemies at you.
How many times has someone retreated off the friendly map edge when not required to by SSR?
It happens in a SASL campaign.

Everyone has their particular preferences, I can see why it didn't appeal to the majority of the audience, but it does give a completely different feel to the game.
And it the enemy moves are stupid I amend them to something more sensible.

...... the other exploit with reducing bad modifiers on a turret. (I forget the nickname for that exploit)
What's that about the turret modifiers? I don't know that one.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Battlefield Integrity 😁
Oof!
My group of friends used to use it when ASL was first published, but mutually agreed it's an enormous pain in the ass.
You're not missing anything there.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Something to do with overcoming some of the T-H modifiers with a tonk on the move through a non-intuitive procedure. I forget the details, honestly. Total rules lawyer stuff. Not really significant enough for me to remember, obviously. I know it when I see it and I'll probably laugh at whoever does it. It's "smell my finger" levels of douchebaggery.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Oof!
We used to use it when ASL was first published, but mutually agreed it's an enormous pain in the ass.
You're not missing anything there.
You know if there is a quick reference I might try it out. I've never done it but I have played campaign games, and the continuous ELRing is a big part of the meta-game of doing a campaign. Good too for getting the feel of being too long at the front.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I'm not a fan of cheesing stuff.
I'm not a 'serious' player, don't do the competitive angle and haven't the slightest clue how many scenarios I've played or won/lost (more lost than won certainly), but as it's a legit game tactic, what everyone else does is their business.
I pretty much play solo anyway the last couple decades, so trying to get the most immersive feel is more what I'm after.
That's why the campaign game route is my thing.
Never was big on single scenarios except for trying different settings/troops/SW etc.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
You know if there is a quick reference I might try it out. I've never done it but I have played campaign games, and the continuous ELRing is a big part of the meta-game of doing a campaign. Good too for getting the feel of being too long at the front.
I really don't think Battlefield Integrity is relevant to today's smaller scenarios.
Back in the SL Anvil of Victory and early ASL days a lot of DYO stuff happened, and I suspect there were many bigger melees pounded out.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I won't play a big scenario with someone unless I know they're a concentrator who can quickly look up rule issues or they already know most questions the scenario will have.

Or unless we're both drunk off our ass. In that case who cares, take as long as you want in your turn and we'll bullshit and probably never even finish.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Most likely option number 2 in my experience (with or without drink). :)
I should add I have never played with a noticeably slow player.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never could quite figure out what the utility in game terms is filled b y Hara Kiri?

Does anybody know of a scenario that used the Bedouin camp overlay?

Tried it. Found it impossible to slavishly follow the programmed opponent instructions when there were obviously better moves available?
I could see Hara-Kiri if one uses Interrogation (Optional but by players consent-it doesn't need an SSR) but it's seldom used except by myself and Curtis Brooks as then it's a standard rule between us. With so much HIP/concealed for much of the time it could be instrumental to mission accomplishment. As for the Bedouin Camp overlay, I've played so few desert scenarios, probably around a dozen or so in 30+ years, that it's never come up.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The turret sleaze. Need to turn 3 hexside to fire? Turn 2 and fire your MCG at a target then turn 1 and fire the MA at a new target. Both targets must be known but this way you only pay for the last turn of 1 not a turn of 3 hexside.