I have never tried…

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Post rules you know of but haven’t ever had to do.

for me:
Deliberate immobilization (such a small chance of it working)

Scaling (haven’t seen the situation yet that needed it)

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Post rules you know of but haven’t ever had to do.

for me:
Deliberate immobilization (such a small chance of it working)

Scaling (haven’t seen the situation yet that needed it)
How can one go without ever using Deliberate Immobilization? It’s critical in at least half of all scenarios with armor. Look for these circumstances as prompts to use DI.

1) If your MA cannot penetrate enemy armor with a roll of 5 then go for DI.

2) If enemy armor has red armor numbers - their AFV are big - consider DI.

3) If your small MA has a high ROF, or the chance for multiple hits at 40mm or less, then go for DI - the multitude of dice rolls these circumstances trigger dramatically increases the chance of a successful DI.

4) Russian ATRs, especially when within two hexes of a stationary target, are serious DI threats against pre-43 German armor. They remain a threat against Mark IVs throughout the war.

I see DI used successfully in about half of my games.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I don’t know I just literally never tried it. HBU?

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I’ve done river crossing but no sea landing. OBA a lot (it’s not complicated) but never NOBA. Air support a lot but no Paratroops.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I’ve done river crossing but no sea landing. OBA a lot (it’s not complicated) but never NOBA. Air support a lot but no Paratroops.
Seaborne assults I find rather dull. In order to balance the scenario they tend to be a bit one sided to account for casulaties on the run in. Additionally, the first few turns are the defender rolling dice on the off chance they will cause casualties to the attacker who sits there and takes it. I'm sure some find this fun, but it's not for me. A special shout out to Thai Hot which is a seaborne assault that starts with the troops disgorging from LC so avoids all these problems.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Never finished a scenario with Seaborne Assault, Cave Complex, or NOBA. Have done Caves, and have mapped out a Cave Complex, but never got to use it.

I think I've done everything else.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
A special shout out to Thai Hot which is a seaborne assault that starts with the troops disgorging from LC so avoids all these problems.
Thanks Vinnie, that's good to know. That one gets added to the To-Play binder.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Paratroops and Gliders are a blast. Although the rules sections seem lengthy, it is pretty easy to step through them as you go, and they are a breeze once you've done a couple. Paras are slightly more rules-heavy than Gliders, but we found both were surprisingly easy to do, and a helluva lot of fun! Lot of bang for the buck.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I think I’ve got a paradrop flowchart around somewhere…

Unless it’s DYO I don’t know if any popular airborne scenarios. And I am an advocate of DYO.

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Aerosans
Animal pack
Alpine hills
Bedouin camp
Hara-kiri
Massacre
SASL
Scrounging
Swimming

Think I’ve played everything else in the last 35 years. The most surprising item on that list for me is Scrounging, can’t remember ever doing it or having it done by my opponent : there just isn’t time in most scenarios.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Should be interesting to see how this conversation develops.....
Nope.
Been there, done that, still retain my convictions which aren't shared by most others, so no rehash needed.

I will note that no one I've ever played with since before ASL was born has ever used it either. Admittedly it's not a lot of folks, but it's everyone I've FTF gamed with.

==============================

I'll add (from Gamer72's list above):
Hara Kiri
Bedouin camps
Aerosans

SASL is a very interesting and VERY different experience, I highly recommend it whenever it might become possible.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nope.
Been there, done that, still retain my convictions which aren't shared by most others, so no rehash needed.

I will note that no one I've ever played with since before ASL was born has ever used it either. Admittedly it's not a lot of folks, but it's everyone I've FTF gamed with.

==============================

I'll add (from Gamer72's list above):
Hara Kiri
Bedouin camps
Aerosans

SASL is a very interesting and VERY different experience, I highly recommend it whenever it might become possible.
Please, rehash away. What is ‘it’ ?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Hara Kiri
Bedouin camps
Aerosans
Never could quite figure out what the utility in game terms is filled b y Hara Kiri?

Does anybody know of a scenario that used the Bedouin camp overlay?

Tried it. Found it impossible to slavishly follow the programmed opponent instructions when there were obviously better moves available?

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
He’s talking about a cheesedick tactic and the implication is that it’s a point of contention I think. Fair enough he never used it. I know of V BM freeze and the other exploit with reducing bad modifiers on a turret. (I forget the nickname for that exploit)

I’ve definitely not played 35 years but I have used scrounging. Being fair and honest, it was partly a suggestion or an advice from a more senior player. I do like the rule though

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Tried it. Found it impossible to slavishly follow the programmed opponent instructions when there were obviously better moves available?
It is different than what a player would do sure, but the scenario can either kick you in the nuts or not based more on other random factors.