Slovak Skoda M28(80) and French Canon de 75 Antichar mle 97/35

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Has anyone ever stumbled across a photo of either gun with a firing table as shown on their ASL counters?

TIA

Tesgora

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello Chris,
For the French 75mm gun with the circular Arbel firing platform, see Steven Zaloga book on the French 75 published by Osprey. It has a grainy picture of such a gun with its circular firing platform. So far no luck for equivalent photo evidence for the Skoda gun.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Thierry,

Thanks for the lead. Sadly I don't have that particular book on the soixantequinze. (There's a gap in my NVG collection!) I will purchase it.

Thanks too for searching after the 8cm Skoda.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Not sure if its this one. I think its the 8 cm kanon vz 28.
Gracias Juan. I found that found today on a Czech site. (I found a similar picture in Chamberlain's book on artillery published in the 70s.) I believe that is a horse-drawn variant. I think Skoda built another 8cm kanon vz 28 with rubber tires, not unlike the vz 30 below, which was produced and used in greater numbers than the vz 28.

The photo is certainly in keeping with the high-elevation (up to 80 degrees, IIRC) on the "AA-capable" version.

The 8 cm kanon vz 30 lacked a firing table, but was supposed quite similar. I think this is the vz 30 below with tires for motorized towing.

Frankly, the names and calibres of these Skoda guns are confusing. Also, the artwork on the Slovak counter looks more like the photo Tom posted earlier, albeit without a firing table (or rubber tires).

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes, quite confusing. For a start, its a 7.65 cm gun, not 8.00 cm. And thats a big difference in game terms
Agreed. I was thinking the same thing.

Perhaps no where is this mismatch illustrated better than in ASL's relationship with the OML 3-in. Mortar.

ERRATA: As discussed in ASL JOURNAL 7, the correct Caliber Size of the 3-in. mortar is 81mm, not the 76mm indicated by the name "3-in." and originally assigned to them. Counters with this corrected Caliber Size are included for those who wish to use them instead and for scenarios that call for them.