El Alamein commemoration

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I did design the Battle for Bir el gubi for CH, that was alot of fun, crappy brit tank and infantry trying to take a hillock controlled by the Ariete Div.

Scott
There is something about that crappy early armour that just appeals to me and tickles my fancy. Good stuff!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Good questions. Most likely a combination of those and perhaps a few others.

I was interested in the DTO prior to SL. When I met Mac he was doing early work on the desert and I gladly helped him with playtesting. '83 or so.

DTO just never caught on. I thought that the treadheads would embrace it but not so much. Oh well. You run it up the flagpole and sometimes no one salutes.
The DTO really appealed to Mac. Obviously. Doing pre ASL playtesting of the DTO for him he gave me the Desert boards ( actually cardstock) and overlays that he hand colored. Good times!

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Who other than CH has really done a Desert module other than the original core modules?
Not a module, but Fort has done some DTO scenarios - Camp Niebawa and Desert Citadel from ASLUG and I think at least a couple of others. I've played both.

I'd be willing to play more DTO all-armor scenarios. Infantry is just not a lot of fun in the desert in daytime scenarios. Accordingly, Blazin' Chariots has always been my favorite DTO scenario. It's probably also the most popular DTO scenario in general.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a module, but Fort has done some DTO scenarios - Camp Niebawa and Desert Citadel from ASLUG and I think at least a couple of others. I've played both.

I'd be willing to play more DTO all-armor scenarios. Infantry is just not a lot of fun in the desert in daytime scenarios. Accordingly, Blazin' Chariots has always been my favorite DTO scenario. It's probably also the most popular DTO scenario in general.
There's a ton of good scenarios in the theatre, but they are older and that limits the audience. Nothing peaks interest like a good, recent design focused on the theatre, particularly a specific campaign.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
That's probably true. Then again, the recent release of HL features the Ethiopians vs Italians. Has there been a lot of play/excitement about those scenarios?

For my own part, I looked them over, but infantry in the desert just didn't appeal to me from a game-play perspective, even though it does interest me historically (and I like Command's old Lions of Ethiopia game for an operational perspective).

So I eschewed it in favor of Sword and Fire, which I find a lot more interesting (at least for tactical gaming).

JMO, but I really think more tank battles in the desert, ala Blazin' Chariots, would be great. That is what would fire me up to play DTO. I personally would have no interest in a desert module otherwise, new or not. I admit I don't just buy every new product that comes down the line though (except official - I buy all those), nor do I get too excited about most releases nowadays.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Has there been a lot of play/excitement about those scenarios?" They are over 20, maybe even 30 years old. They should be paying back their college loans right now. :) They are repackaged, but not new.

The Desert relies on combined arms for the infantry to feel happy. If they have no armor support, they are toast once their inherent anti-armor systems fail them if facing an armored opponent.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

LFT will release in a few weeks its 15th issue... and its theme will be desert. We will post a bit later some kind of add for this somehow special issue.

Cheers,

X
let’s get ready tooooo rumble!!!!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What should have happened was instead of having millions of overlays for the DTO boards, AH should have just gone ahead and made DTO boards with the hillocks, sand dunes ect ect printed on those boards. Ibet the DTO would have gotten alot more play if that happened.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
LFT6 is a desert Hill board.
Otherwise there is a small level -1 valley with a few palm trees.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AH did print desert boards. Ever hear of "Tobruk"?

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AH did print desert boards. Ever hear of "Tobruk"?
Concur, that’s what I think of when I look at DTO. Seems like DTO doesn’t get a lot of attention for the community. I assume if it did there would be 20 desert only boards.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
For 20 desert boards just go to Kinkos. Or just use plain brown cardboard. Flat with nothing on them.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Malaya
Burma
Greece
Crete
New Guinea
On the first 4 they really didn’t stick around. North Africa was the center of their efforts. The Battle of the Atlantic was the major campaign but doesn’t really fit into ASL.

Last edited: