Manila CG3/Ph-1

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My comrade and I have started this CG 4 times...switching sides.

Our experience is that as soon as the Ami loses SMOKE the IJA just rips him to shreds. Multiple .50c, HMG and MMG all bore sighted...each with a leader just eat the Mericans alive. Once it starts raining and all the SMOKE goes away the meager +1 LV just isn't enough. Buying those scout cars and stripping the MG's allows the IJA to setup a half-dozen or more .50c up across the board, each with a leader...usually -1 type or better...boresight the most likely approaches...it's just a slaughter. In fact in each case the slaughter was so bad that it was pointless to continue.

Has anyone had any experience with this CG...any suggestions...we keep thinking there must be something we are missing.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played it myself, and have won as both the Japanese and as the Americans. Perhaps your tactics need to be revisited.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played it myself, and have won as both the Japanese and as the Americans. Perhaps your tactics need to be revisited.
OK...what were your tactics when you won as the USArmy? Did you lose SMOKE on turn two or three as the Ami? Have the SMOKE possible the whole scenario?

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What are the odds of rain starting?

How many CG Days into the CG did you make it?
We had a 5 for 5 where the SMOKE was lost early...the very first time the Ami lost SMOKE capability due to a snakes on wind change that resulted in a heavy breeze.

The other 4 times it started raining (=>10) on turn 2-3.

We never got past scenario one because the Ami was just ripped to shreds.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
OK...what were your tactics when you won as the USArmy? Did you lose SMOKE on turn two or three as the Ami? Have the SMOKE possible the whole scenario?
The Americans can muster far more FP than the Japanese. Plus they have tanks. Can't you use those assets to destroy the Japanese MG nests? Or is it a matter of the Americans cannot get on board to set up their FP?

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I had the US and I had ample SMOKE, which got me into the Ermita Apartments and then the Science Building on Feb 15. The US has an ungodly amount of firepower and it was basically a bloodbath. OBA for the Japanese was somewhat effective. The US OBA was hampered by my choosing really crappy observer locations. Feb 16 was an idle day. We just played up through the Feb 17 US second turn, at which point the Japanese conceded. Sort of like Red Barricades with different colored units on an attractive map. But we both thought it was overwhelmingly pro-US.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Going to start this CG this morning. I have the Americans. A wall of yellow is in front of me.....lots and lots of targets!

Wish me luck!

Rob

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This mornings playing of SF CGIII started poorly for the US. Started raining on US turn 1! Radio couldn't make contact! On Jap turn 1, radio contact rolls are 11 and 12. One radio down. Rain continues.... We played through US turn 2 and the radio finally made contact. Reinforcements are making their way towards the front lines. US forces managed to inflict 3 CVP with no losses of their own. Also, a second line Jap squad went berserk and will soon charge to its demise!

Good fun so far!

Rob

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This mornings playing of SF CGIII started poorly for the US. Started raining on US turn 1! Radio couldn't make contact! On Jap turn 1, radio contact rolls are 11 and 12. One radio down. Rain continues.... We played through US turn 2 and the radio finally made contact. Reinforcements are making their way towards the front lines. US forces managed to inflict 3 CVP with no losses of their own. Also, a second line Jap squad went berserk and will soon charge to its demise!

Good fun so far!

Rob
Rain seems to occur fairly regularly in the Manila CG's. Sure places a hiatus on American smoke attempts.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Were you moving giant stacks in the open all the time ?

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We played another turn of SF CGIII last night. Rain continues but the Jap berserker was cut down. My M8 was a little too frisky and was blown up by THH. The American firepower is starting to make a dent. Will continue tonight.

Rob

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Were you moving giant stacks in the open all the time ?
No, under of cover of a lot of smoke...individual squads mostly...but you gotta stack some time if you want to get the IJA out of fortified locations.

Mostly what happened is the US forces moved up,, getting into position...then it started raining...all SMOKE/smoke goes away (can't place more)...then the IJA opens up with about 8-9 .50c/HMG, each with a -1 (or better) leader...multiple guns...multiple FG's...the 6 moral US troops started cracking left and right...multiple breaks...rinse & repeat.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had the US and I had ample SMOKE, which got me into the Ermita Apartments and then the Science Building on Feb 15. The US has an ungodly amount of firepower and it was basically a bloodbath. OBA for the Japanese was somewhat effective. The US OBA was hampered by my choosing really crappy observer locations. Feb 16 was an idle day. We just played up through the Feb 17 US second turn, at which point the Japanese conceded. Sort of like Red Barricades with different colored units on an attractive map. But we both thought it was overwhelmingly pro-US.
View attachment 23201
"...ample SMOKE..."

Yeah, if it doesn't start raining the US will do really well.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Did the IJA set up many units on rooftops? In our playing, there were several HMG and the 20mm AA's up there. But, good targets for .50 cal deathstar stacks with down 2 leaders directing.

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished turn 4 of the initial SF CGIII date. My Americans crossed Herren St. into three different victory buildings. However, my CC rolls were terrible and the Japs pushed me out of two buildings. I lost five squads on turn four. The CVP count is even at around 22.

Rob

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Day one of the CGIII went to the Japanese. The final CVP count was 41-48 in favor of the Japs. Most of the American losses were AFVs. My Americans have a strong foothold in the Medical Pharmacy School and a small foothold in Assumption College. It rained all day and had heavy rain on turns 5 and 6. THHs were active and the Japs had Booby Trap level A and MOLs. Must have been over 80 Jap SE on map. My Americans dice were pretty bad for most of the day. Day two will be starting soon and it is a duel attack. My Americans set up first. Hope they will also move first!

Rob