Drop Zone: Sainte-Mère-Église

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What about the paratrooper that got stuck in the church steeple like Hutch mentioned? Is he depicted in a scenario/CG?

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Good Book for reference:
No Better Place to Die: Ste-Mère-Église, La Fière Bridge by Robert M. Murphy
The 505th RCT was tasked with holding the crossroads at SME and to hold the bridge over the Merderet River.
Murphy was a Pathfinder and a member of A Company, 505th PIR.

Ken Dunn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What about the paratrooper that got stuck in the church steeple like Hutch mentioned? Is he depicted in a scenario/CG?
No dangling paratroopers. 1 glider landing scenario. No paradrop scenarios. One of the CGs has a glider landing also.

several of the scenarios are remakes (5 if i recall). The others are new scenarios.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No dangling paratroopers. 1 glider landing scenario. No paradrop scenarios. One of the CGs has a glider landing also.

several of the scenarios are remakes (5 if i recall). The others are new scenarios.
Damn, there should have been a SSR where he is used like an E1.23 Recon DR to any American unit adjacent to him in a scenario

rottenroller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perry question, I once heard something about a strategic campaign game being worked on for this module.
Is that true?

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm reading Sand and Steel and the author states that the John Steele dummy is hanging from the wrong spire on the church.
That's correct. Visited there a few years ago. He actually got snagged on the other side of the steeple, which is along the adjoining street. That side of the steeple is not very visible (for tourist purposes), so they made the decision to put him on the more visible side (central parking area). It makes for a better picture, and most folks don't know the difference. If he had actually landed as the dummy is currently placed, he probably wouldn't have survived, being in plain view of most of the town square/center. I believe a restaurant named in his honor is also still there.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, how do you work the paratrooper dummies into the game as a mechanic?
Random Gunflash is all I can think of. IIRC they were meant as a diversion dropped away from the actual LZs. Were they ever in an area with actual troops? Cool to speculate on their use in the system. Chrome is especially nice at Night.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Random Gunflash is all I can think of. IIRC they were meant as a diversion dropped away from the actual LZs. Were they ever in an area with actual troops? Cool to speculate on their use in the system. Chrome is especially nice at Night.
Thought you were talking about the dummy paratroopers that were dropped. My bad