Why no glider tanks in Russian OB?

Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"One T-60 was converted into a glider in 1942, intended to be towed by a Petlyakov Pe-8 or a Tupolev TB-3. The tank was lightened for air use by removing its armament, ammunition and headlights, and leaving a very limited amount of fuel. Even with these modifications, the TB-3 bomber had to ditch the glider during its only flight, on September 2, 1942, to avoid crashing, due to the T-60's extreme drag (although the tank reportedly glided smoothly). The A-40 was piloted by the famous Soviet experimental glider pilot Sergei Anokhin. The T-60 landed in a field near the airport, and after dropping the glider wings and tail, the driver returned it to its base. Due to the lack of a sufficiently powerful aircraft to tow it at the required 160 km/h (99 mph), the project was abandoned."
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_A-40

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
The 93a Annual (Available in the Wargame Vault), had the article "Iron Eagle: A new airborne unit for ASL" by Rex Martin, which was the A40-T, complete with errata.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The 93a Annual (Available in the Wargame Vault), had the article "Iron Eagle: A new airborne unit for ASL" by Rex Martin, which was the A40-T, complete with errata.
It was a joke, as for other fancy counters suggestions.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
I meant to mention that it was a Parody, along with the "Mine Dogs", "The Mouse that Roared" -Maus, and "Piper's Lament". But I hit Post too soon.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I meant to mention that it was a Parody, along with the "Mine Dogs", "The Mouse that Roared" -Maus, and "Piper's Lament". But I hit Post too soon.
A common occurrence.

Would make a super chrome scenario: flying tanks and para dropped mine dogs versus a Maus. Coming soon!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
T-60 tanks versus a Maus ?
Yes. Firing as they glided down at the thinner upper armor. The para dropped mine dogs are specially trained. Some to drop into the open hatch while others poo poo on the vision slits.🤔

Sorry Rick. It was an informative thread till I got involved.🙄

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes. Firing as they glided down at the thinner upper armor. The para dropped mine dogs are specially trained. Some to drop into the open hatch while others poo poo on the vision slits.🤔

Sorry Rick. It was an informative thread till I got involved.🙄
In a vain attempt to contribute some useful information to this thread I tried to find out the top armor thickness of the Maus. There was none specifically about the top but the rear hull was 150 mm or 190 mm depending on the source.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never saw the movie, prefer the series ("I love it when a plan comes together!").

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Did Rex Martin or others make any scenarios for the flying tanks ?
No as the project was cancelled and never used in any actual operation. Also remember that this series of “Extra” counters were for more of a joke like the piper counters, tiger traps and the likes.

Last edited:

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
No as the project was cancelled and never used in any actual operation. Also remember that this series of “Extra” counters were for more of a joke like the piper counters, tiger traps and the likes.
The broken side of the piper counter was really nice:LOL: