Products that I'd like to see MMP produce

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Seems that Overlays are now to be covered by MMP - that ship has probably sailed.

New HASLs? Why not, provided they're appealing enough to enough buyers to make it make sense. There are still some good ideas out there not yet done - Kohima for sure, Cassino too. They'd need to be battles that cannot be replicated using geoboards, ones that last long enough to require a CG, and ones that (IMO) don't involve 'minor' (ie. Polish, Swedish, Italian, Ethiopian, etc.) vs. 'major' (ie. German, British, American, Russian, Japanese) combatants.

There are also good avenues for other kinds of easily produced products; geoboards and counters mainly that could accompany a Journal, AP, WO. Such would enhance our existing kit and are in a practical sense the only kinds of things that are still not yet done. We have all the rules that we need - and while you can say 'we don't need anything else' - which is true, we still 'want other ASL things'. Nothing to be ashamed of there as this is our favorite and not-so-expensive-when-you-think-of-it-hobby. (that's what I tell my wife anyway).

Tesgora

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I always have a wishlist of stuff I wish MMP would eventually produce. Some of them realistic, some probably not. But I thought it would be interesting to see what others think.

My list is (aside from Slaughter at Ponyri which goes without saying - though I'll say it): What are yours?
I wish MMP would publish the ASL Journal on a more regular basis (i.e., annually) as well as more HASL modules of manageable size like Hatten in Flames or those inserted in Journal or other MMP publications in the past. At the same time, I am aware that asking this of MMP might be a little theoretical as I suspect the response would be that they depend on ASLers to write, design, and submit material to MMP.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish MMP would publish the ASL Journal on a more regular basis (i.e., annually) as well as more HASL modules of manageable size like Hatten in Flames or those inserted in Journal or other MMP publications in the past. At the same time, I am aware that asking this of MMP might be a little theoretical as I suspect the response would be that they depend on ASLers to write, design, and submit material to MMP.
Agree. HiF was a right-sized kind of HASL in my view also. Wonder if it made good economics for MMP?
Yes - MMP does indeed depend on the ASL community - as they've been doing for sometime. That's not a bad thing - and we should be encouraged that they'd be willing to publish stuff from us.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Agree. HiF was a right-sized kind of HASL in my view also. Wonder if it made good economics for MMP?
It sold out in four years (a few copies still left at retailers at the moment though) so it seems like there was reasonable demand for it. Guess just a question of whether they priced it right, but based on its physical contents compared to other module prices it seems like they probably did.

Being a new player I’m lucky to have started when almost all the core modules are in print. I wish they would keep map boards in stock rather than waiting for a full reprint of a module. 9, 11 and 33 show up in a lot of scenarios and DB isn’t even up for pre-order at this time.

An information counter sheet expansion sold separately would be nice. The weapon specific D1F counters from AoO and RF could be on it. Maybe add some other specific counters? SMC prisoners? This might just be too low cost/margin to be worth the hassle for them though…

Anyway, as a new player at present there is still a lot to buy if I see fit.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One idea would be a series of small HASL presentations for the battles around Bastonge in a HASL format similar to NaPhum Ga. A series of small HASL maps representing areas where battles raged over an extended period such as Noville-Foy, Marvie, Bizory-Magaret, Champs-Longchamps and Senonchamps; perhaps even Hemoulie. These could be presented in a single package or as a series of smaller linked games. Of course, there are a plethora of similar actions that could be presented such as in Normandy operations (al la PURPLE HEART DRAW), the Metz-Nancy operations, The German defense of the Nikopol bridgehead in Russia, The Scheldt Estuary operations (already presented in a SL/ASL geo-board series of scenarios) could also be presented in such a fashion, etc.

Some more interesting larger HASL presentations could be Breslau, Aachen (as mentioned in an earlier thread), Buna-Gona operation in New Guinea as well as along the Druinimor River as well; the Walcheren Island battles (already initially covered in a SL/ASL fashion) could also be envisioned and I, for one, believe it deserves a more detailed submission.

ASL is first and foremost an infantry centric game and should remain so. The armor rules are simply too basic to represent much more than a general armor engagement experience or outcome. Efforts have been made to represent larger armor intensive conflicts (usually Eastern Front offerings) but whereas these are generally fun, they fall short of presenting a truly engaging experience both as historically accurate representation and an illuminating game wise experience (IMHO). I believe armor should be offered as a force multiplier, as it was initially intended for an SL/ASL presentation; leave the armor centric offerings to a different type of product that would enhance their peculiarities and bring out their efficaciousness in combat.

As always these are just my opinions and food for thought.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
More "Hatten in Flames"-like HASL. Handsome map, not much special terrain nor units nor SSRs, one or two campaigns, some scenarios....
Hatten was awesome, my favorite HASL to play without getting a ton of new rules to wade through. How about some of the major battles in Aachen? You don't need the whole city, just the most important sectors/buildings. It is not MMP but Objective Schmidt from Bounding Fire is another nice looking effort from Chas. HASLs done well that are 'playable' is what I would like to see more of. Too bad Ortona seems to be lost in MMPs que...

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd actually like MMP to run an ASL League, for individuals and teams. I know there are similar things done by others now, but to me, MMP running it would add an element of officialness that others can't. Shrug.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hatten was awesome, my favorite HASL to play without getting a ton of new rules to wade through. How about some of the major battles in Aachen? You don't need the whole city, just the most important sectors/buildings. It is not MMP but Objective Schmidt from Bounding Fire is another nice looking effort from Chas. HASLs done well that are 'playable' is what I would like to see more of. Too bad Ortona seems to be lost in MMPs que...
While there are a number of wonderful ASLs out there, Hatten is the epitome of a "playable" HASL. It allows both the CGer and single scenario player to find satisfaction in the product. Despite very limited new rules, there is certainly a unique desperate-bleak-winter flavor to it. The scenarios are exciting and balanced and have all delivered (have played 6 of 8, with Bertoldo on my playlist). I have toyed around with getting CG2 on the table as well. Much of this is due to the absence of night CG date scenarios and smaller number of dates. This from a guy that played his first CG earlier this year and found it a great experience: Inor CG1 - a no-night three-date affair that had very manageable special rules. HASL on!

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too think that the smaller HASL concept is worth pursuing. I also think that given the small time frame of a typical scenario (less than 30 minutes of real time) one could design some interesting CGs around battles that only lasted all or a part of one day as well. It would require some out of the box thinking, but having several “CG sessions” as opposed to CG “days“ could maintain the CG concept while opening up countess battle choice options.

Nevertheless, to me the accuracy of the HASL map is the key attraction. As much as I appreciate the flexibility the geo boards give to scenario designers, I never really feel like I’m truly playing an accurate representation of a battle when using a map that is sorta-kinda like the actual historical terrain.

But that’s just me.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ortona was mentioned twice in this thread. We are currently playtesting the campaign games. Be patient.
Likely to be interesting. Wikipedia Battle of Ortona.
Wikipedia said:
The battle was known to those who fought it as the "Italian Stalingrad," for the brutality of its close-quarters combat, which was only worsened by the chaotic rubble of the town and the many booby traps used by both sides. ... By late 1943, the entire Italian campaign was not intended to win the war but ... by dividing Nazi forces between several separate fronts, the Allies would prevent Hitler from striking a deadly blow at the USSR or from concentrating an invincible army along the coast of Normandy ... [also] it was one of Italy's few usable deep water ports on the east coast, and was needed for docking allied ships and to shorten Eighth Army's lines of supply which at the time stretched back to Bari and Taranto.
See also Canadian Military Journal.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kohima has also mentioned by several. You tell me - what is LFT supposed to do when the original designer won't finish it out? What am I supposed to do with the map that I worked on for a good long time?

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Ortona was mentioned twice in this thread. We are currently playtesting the campaign games. Be patient.
Jim must be looking down and pleased that it has not been forgotten, but wondering when it might ever be released...

Thanks Mike for the update, we look forward to playing this, hopefully this decade.