AP32 2nd Crack at Caumont

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I had the chance the other day to play 'ol Ted. We thought AP 32 Second Crack at Caumont was a pretty cool scenario. I eeked out a win as the German defender. Interesting topic of 88 placement in another AAR. T8 orchard/road was my choice w/CA 53 s8/t7. This gave cover down road to building m5 and ability to change CA to cover rear to x9. The ability to cover rear proved helpful in keeping a couple of Shermans from getting into my rear. I put 5/8 Dummy in M7 and the JgPz in O7 building CA O6/P6 to cover road to V3. Germans set up well dispersed throught the knot of buildings and cover around the Church but back enough out of turn 1 rush range. MMG in T5 w/SQ and 9-2. LMG and SQ in V4 and 1/2SQ w/ PSK and a SQ in Y5. Amis put SSR 3 SQ in W3 and a Sherman moved down the I4/Y4 road to Y3 in support and Germ PSK (Y5) malfs! Weak Amis push on German right. 2 Shermans in the center fail all SMOKE Amis Inf move slowly up middle wood (M1) area. Germ far left sees 2 Shermans and Inf armor assault slowly through open areas around H2. Amis causiously advance but Germ keep good fire disipline/ skulking/ and slowly give ground. Some heavy (long) CC in graveyard and slow building Amis pressure on P3 area but 2 Germ SQ and 8-0 hold on through encirclment and HEAVY Amis fire power and created HOB Hero to help hold on in the upper levels. Amis movement on far Germ left trips 5/8 Dummy and forces JgPz to move into dangerous point plank combat in P4 and finally goes down to rear BAZ shot. Amis attack on Germ right sees them slowly pushing into X4 upinto V6 area with 2 Shermans in support. One Sherman goes through a Cellar and another was held off by 88 and ended up malfing MA and later recalled. German Ref. entered mounted, rode right up to Q10 stopped and changed CA forcing bailout. Leader failed but SQ OK. They moved to cover P8 building and counter Amis push in N6/O7 area. Amis push on Germ right was broken and destroyed by a low roll from MMG and eventually Germans were able to move in to destroy them for failure to rout. Amis turn 6 came and went with 9 building controlled by Amis. There were many SAN activations and we both got a couple of shots including my 88 crew. We both liked this scenario and I would like to give it a go as the Amis. I don't think either one of us throught it was unbalanced or a dog and I'd give it a go as the Germans again too. Although I do think that it is tough on the Germans.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the AAR, very nice!

The Germans can indeed be a bit more demanding to play. But they definitely have the tools.

J. R. Tracy

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting topic of 88 placement in another AAR. T8 orchard/road was my choice w/CA 53 s8/t7.
Hate to be a buzzkill but you can't HIP the 88 in T8. It's a paved road, so no Emplacement; no Emplacement, no HIP. It's very tricky finding a legit *and* useful spot for that bad boy.

JR

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
J.R., those that have played "Cold Crocodiles" for years certainly know about this type of setup SNAFU. First thing I ask when I sit down as the Brits of the German player to make sure those 88's are not on a paved road.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hate to be a buzzkill but you can't HIP the 88 in T8. It's a paved road, so no Emplacement; no Emplacement, no HIP. It's very tricky finding a legit *and* useful spot for that bad boy.
That's where my opponent HIP'd the 88 too ;-)

I don't think either one of us throught it was unbalanced or a dog and I'd give it a go as the Germans again too. Although I do think that it is tough on the Germans.
Use a Set DC to blow one of the single hex VC buildings. R8 (I think that's the hex) is the one I'd blow.

JR

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing this against Dave "The Illuminator" (eh. We'll work on it) Ramsey in the IR semis. I agreed with the concept of Rubbing a VC building and chose O5, as the Rubble would block AFV movement from P4 to O6 and cut LOS from Q3 to N7 which is a prime skulking hex.

Used a 468 and 9-2 for it and Set it just fine during German turn 1. Made it back to safety on turn 2 and, not wanting to push my luck, went for the detonation in the AFPh. Passed the NTC and hit the plunger. Needed a 9 or less to Rubble the building.

Rolled an 11.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing this against Dave "The Illuminator" (eh. We'll work on it) Ramsey in the IR semis. I agreed with the concept of Rubbing a VC building and chose O5, as the Rubble would block AFV movement from P4 to O6 and cut LOS from Q3 to N7 which is a prime skulking hex.

Used a 468 and 9-2 for it and Set it just fine during German turn 1. Made it back to safety on turn 2 and, not wanting to push my luck, went for the detonation in the AFPh. Passed the NTC and hit the plunger. Needed a 9 or less to Rubble the building.

Rolled an 11.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH
Dave "The Illuminati" Ramsey?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Better check with the Trilateral on that nickname!