Manila questions

rshurtz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
4H1 on Map 2 is correct. The Americans may enter anywhere along the northern edge on or west of that point.
Sarge,

On subsequent days of CG1 are the American's limited to entering on hexes they controlled the previous day? or can they always enter on the North edge west of 4H1? CG11 says friendly controlled hexes, so I assume the Japanese have the opportunity to control board edge hexes and limit the American entry area.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
There are three scenarios which give the Japanese Boobytrap capability, and they were playtested as such. I've looked over quite a few of the playtest AAR's and found none where the players said they exchanged mines for boobytraps. The intent was to only allow boobytraps only in the scenarios so designated. If you go ahead and do the exchange anyway it could alter the balance...so I would advise against it. Not sure it is allowed in any other HASL's either.
Thanks for the clarification. The scenarios and map have been great to play on so far. 😃

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
On subsequent days of CG1 are the American's limited to entering on hexes they controlled the previous day? or can they always enter on the North edge west of 4H1? CG11 says friendly controlled hexes, so I assume the Japanese have the opportunity to control board edge hexes and limit the American entry area.
Yes, only hexes that are "friendly-Controlled" per SSR CG11 can be used for entry. (Some HASL sometime allow entry on certain hexes regardless of who Controls them, but I see no such "exceptions" in the SF rules.)

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just need some confirmation here for the Refit Phase of CG V.
  • In the Initial Scenario Victory Conditions it says, "The Americans win at game end by Controlling ≥ 6 VP."
  • In 20.603 it says, "When step 20.603 has been completed, CG-Scenario End has occurred."
  • In 20.605 it says, "The Japanese (only) may attempt to infiltrate into other Locations prior to determining Perimeters".
So my assumption here is that the CG Scenario victor is determined at the conclusion of 20.603 (i.e., "game end" = "CG-Scenario End")...and therefore any subsequent Japanese Infiltration can only affect Perimeter determination and not change the victory outcome of the scenario.

Sound right?

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In SF1 - Race to the River, SSR 3 permits Japanese set DC to be placed outside its setup area. Since Buried Bombs are treated as a set DC are they allowed to be setup outside the Japanese setup area.

rshurtz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finish Day 1 of CG1. Had a question during refit. 20.6149 says to keeps crews equal to the number of ATR/MMG/HMG. This promoted the question of how the Japanese get an ATR? they are not listed on the Infantry Company SW chart?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finish Day 1 of CG1. Had a question during refit. 20.6149 says to keeps crews equal to the number of ATR/MMG/HMG. This promoted the question of how the Japanese get an ATR? they are not listed on the Infantry Company SW chart?
Initially, the Japanese Infantry RG for the Maritime Force (336's) included a 228 with an ATR to provide them with additional firepower. In one of the final versions the crew and ATR were dropped since no verifiable evidence was found that the ATR was used in Manila. They did use several improvised AT weapons including a shaped-charge attached to the end of a bamboo pole. The term "ATR" should have been deleted from the text but was obviously missed. Will send notice to MMP.

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"SF5 FORTIFICATIONS: ... Japanese Fortifications (including mines) in open ground (including road, shellholes, Palm Tree Stumps) hexes may not set up using HIP." However, CG 20 says that buried bombs are "...revealed when a Good Order enemy unit enters its location." Since buried bombs are treated as AT Set DCs and can only setup in a road are they exempt from SF5?

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"SF5 FORTIFICATIONS: ... Japanese Fortifications (including mines) in open ground (including road, shellholes, Palm Tree Stumps) hexes may not set up using HIP." However, CG 20 says that buried bombs are "...revealed when a Good Order enemy unit enters its location." Since buried bombs are treated as AT Set DCs and can only setup in a road are they exempt from SF5?
Note the line that says they are treated as a Set DC "except as stated otherwise"....they are only revealed when an enemy unit enters their location. Otherwise they would be pretty useless in the game. They are not a Set DC...only treated as such for certain circumstances.

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note the line that says they are treated as a Set DC "except as stated otherwise"....they are only revealed when an enemy unit enters their location. Otherwise they would be pretty useless in the game. They are not a Set DC...only treated as such for certain circumstances.
Your response is interesting. Since AT minefields do the same thing as bombs, aren't they pretty useless if not setup hidden? As Klas pointed out and I confirmed by looking in the Index to the rulebook under "Fortification" neither bombs or set DC are fortifications. My bad. Although I think they should be since they perform the same function as mines.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your response is interesting. Since AT minefields do the same thing as bombs, aren't they pretty useless if not setup hidden? As Klas pointed out and I confirmed by looking in the Index to the rulebook under "Fortification" neither bombs or set DC are fortifications. My bad. Although I think they should be since they perform the same function as mines.
Mines are represented by counters. Set DC's are represented by counters. Buried bombs are not represented by counters. They just "are" as it were. The only way to reveal them is by entering their location.....then they go "boom" and kill things. That's how they work. Otherwise you might as well just use Set DC's.....and we decided not to.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Japanese mines may not setup HIP in OG as per SSR. In a night scenario can they set up HIP?

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SF1 - Race to the River, SSR 3 says to secretly record the Location (of the Set DCs) and the Infantry unit designated to detonate it. Are the Set DCs HIP, even if setup on a bridge?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SF1 - Race to the River, SSR 3 says to secretly record the Location (of the Set DCs) and the Infantry unit designated to detonate it. Are the Set DCs HIP, even if setup on a bridge?
Yes, the SSR says both are secretly recorded ie. HIP. Looks like the Demo would remain HIP until spotted like a fortification, at least that appears to be the intent of the SSR.

Last edited:

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the SSR says both are secretly recorded ie. HIP. Looks like the Demo would remain HIP until spotted like a fortification, at least that appears to be the intent of the SSR.
That is the correct intent of the SSR. It was written that way due to a couple early playtests where the Americans were able to reveal and remove most of the Set DC's prior to the Japanese being able to detonate them. Secretly recording the locations of the Set DC's and the possessing units eliminated this issue for the most part.