So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Hallowed Ground 2022 games played.

From BFP Beyond The Beach, BtB1 TAKING TAILLEVILLE. New scenario for me. I had the Canadians against Jeremy Maciejewski. We last played together at ASLOK in 2011. Battle took place on BFP-C map, a different mix of bocage and city. Jeremy had an up-front defence with a couple of large stacks that stymied the Canadians for awhile, but the Shermans eventually encouraged the stacks to split up. Of my two FT, one exited on its first shot; the other managed ten or so shots, usually breaking units, but no KIA. Canadians won on turn six of seven.

Brian Martuzas and I played ESG12 ROAD KILL. New scenario for me. Second time playing Brian. I had the American attacker. Brian confused me by putting one gun concealed in open ground on board at level one, where I thought it could not see much. It must have really confused me, because I forgot he had another gun in his OB. I sent only one tank to fight that gun, everything else went for the town. That tank had a strange battle. It encouraged the mortar crew to leave. The tank went to level two and then the HIP AA gun appeared. Those two duked it out for several fire phases until a PF finally killed the tank. My play in this one was uninspired. My dice were uncooperative. Germans mostly hunkered down and withdrew. When my Americans got close, they were broken by fire. I conceded in turn five of six.

I played the German defender in HF8 FAHRENHEIT 352. Ken Mioduski had the Americans. He thought we had played once before. I have no record of it. I believe he has that feeling of sitting across the table from me because at ASLOK I played against his buddy John Dober at the same table while Ken played someone else. I have no record of playing Ken, so I say new scenario and new opponent. I helped myself lose this scenario by not reading the setup instructions correctly, as well as the VC. I still had a fun game, but I only realized the VC issue on the fifth (of six) American turn. It was too late to recover, so I conceded. Ken will remember this game for not getting one SM8 in a dozen tries.

Ed Akehurst was my fourth round opponent and new to me. Ed told me that he was taught to play by John Dober during the pandemic. They had weekly sessions even after John became ill, because John wanted to keep playing. Ed asked me to pick the scenario, so we played my first choice AP59 TAKING HEADS. I had enjoyed this scenario as the American defender and I wanted to try it as the Japanese attacker. Ed had his defence up front and did not give up ground until his units started breaking. Speaking of breaking, his two GMC were up front as well. One broke its MA on Ed’s first shot of the game and died soon after. The other fared better, but stayed up front, doing 2FP overruns after its MA broke. I completely forgot about my THH, but eventually eliminated it with the ATR. Although I always use a couple of HS with the Japanese, this time I used a lot because of the HIP given to the Americans. I didn’t want the HIP squad to appear behind me; turned out it was in the American rear. Japanese exit was never a possibility. They won on CVP and building locations on turn seven of seven.

In the last round, Ron Duenskie wanted to use alternate scenario FrF27 COCKTAILS FOR MOLOTOV. I wanted to play ROMA2 SECOND HAND NEWS. The dice chose FrF27. The scenario was new to Ron, but not to me. Ron and I have played many times at tournaments. The dice also gave the Polish defenders to me. My pickets had early good luck against some of the Russian infantry, but no luck getting MOL and using MOL against Russian AFV. Later in the game, those aspects were reversed. I had my first ever thrown DC AFV kill. I had my first, second and third ever MOL AFV kills. Fun, but two Russian squads made it to the VC building in the last turn for the win.

Playing in someone’s house for a tournament made for a different experience; still enjoyable.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My regular oppo and I played ASL Scenario 233 "Failure to Communicate " this last Saturday gone ; his choice ( we take it in turns ) and inspired I think by the excellent AAR that appeared on ASL Academy recently ( nice on guys ).
Anyway, I chose Germans having defended in the last game, and, I'm sure my oppo won't mind me saying, won comfortably ( German turn 5 in a 6 and a half turn game ).
We both set up heavily in the South, but I used a large ( ish ) force to move over the stream and attack the single multi hex building in the North...I avoided ( wisely as it turned out ) the road...bogged tank withstanding, and annoying overrun with one of his tankettes which ultimately broke its MA CMG and was destroyed, proved effective. I cleared the most South easterly buildings ( 4 ) which left me the one in the North, which I took thanks to an attempted CC with one of my 38(t) tanks...I rolled low !
It looked tricky to begin with - my rolls were appalling and the French 10-2 leader, 4-5-8 and MMG were looking impossible to budge...but - 2-4-7 HS with DC as a sacrifice to draw fire; Battle hardened, created a Hero and placed the DC successfully, which broke the 10-2 etc and opened the area up.
I created two Heroes during the game and Battle hardened twice. Never placed a DC successfully before 😁
My early rolls were appalling, no Sd smoke, nothing, a CH with my mortar offered no result with the 10-2 etc...but...my dice got steadily better and my oppos steadily worse.
This game ended a long run of defeats for me so very pleased...
And Manila is coming tomorrow..🥳

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Started working through the Hollow Legions scenarios this week. Started with an oldie but goodie 35 Blazin' Chariots. I had the Brits and Steve D had the Germans. This scenario plays very quickly (as in TWO turns it was over). Loads of fun. A complete dice fest, but good practice with AFVs. The Germans lost three tanks but then went on main armament rate tears with low enough TK rolls to decimate the onrushing British. Red TH numbers and sun blindness really have a strong effect in this one. I sort of got the right tactic in my planning, but failed in the execution. You've got to flank the Germans and neutralize the sun blindness penalty if at all possible. I almost did that but stopped half my tanks to get good prep and defensive fire shots. He repositioned just enough to hold the center and pick my guys off at long range. Can play this one over and over and it would be great fun each time.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Started working through the Hollow Legions scenarios this week. Started with an oldie but goodie 35 Blazin' Chariots. I had the Brits and Steve D had the Germans. This scenario plays very quickly (as in TWO turns it was over). Loads of fun. A complete dice fest, but good practice with AFVs. The Germans lost three tanks but then went on main armament rate tears with low enough TK rolls to decimate the onrushing British. Red TH numbers and sun blindness really have a strong effect in this one. I sort of got the right tactic in my planning, but failed in the execution. You've got to flank the Germans and neutralize the sun blindness penalty if at all possible. I almost did that but stopped half my tanks to get good prep and defensive fire shots. He repositioned just enough to hold the center and pick my guys off at long range. Can play this one over and over and it would be great fun each time.
Thanks for this - haven't played a DTO scenario in a long while, maybe this is the one !

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up Hazmo10 Fresh Grist. My opponent Curtis Brooks and I agreed it was one of the best scenarios we have recently played. I had the defending Chinese versus Curtis’s Japanese. VC was Japanese need >=6 of 7 multi-hex buildings. OBs had nice variety and flavor.

Outstanding, highly recommended scenario that is clearly winnable for either side (10-11 on ROAR). Curtis played another outstanding game, carefully avoiding early loses (and avoiding creating Chinese reinforcements!) and framing up his end game assault. At first glance, I suspect the 7-turn game length may feel comfortable for the attacker considering the short distance to the action. However, it can be deceiving as there is a lot to do. A perpetual risk-reward analysis needs to be made for the Japanese on weighing losses versus speed.

For the Chinese, defending everything is the first step to defeat. Sensing which side of the board to Alamo is critical. A measured withdrawal is imperative. Creating a wall of bodies (GO or broken) where possible can help stymie the attacker. Disrupting their timetable can force more risk on the attacker. Keep concealment unless compelling attacks present themselves. Keeping guns/AFV hidden as long as possible.

An excellent scenario well worth a play. A huge thank you to Curtis for taking me to the edge AGAIN. An outstanding player and an even more outstanding person. For a fuller AAR check out the link: Fresh Grist AAR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curtis Brooks & I finished off our first SWORD & FIRE: MANILA scenario, SF1 Race To The River. Curtis would have the attacking US forces and I the Japanese. Even though the Japanese are blessed with a fairly significant force including a .50cal MG & the possibility of getting two more when removed from the two M3A1 scout cars the prospect of facing down a large potent American force with a distinct firepower advantage that included 6 tracked AFVs & a couple of scout cars (with a C10 ability no less!) was daunting. I knew I would have to pull out every defensive card in the deck to face up to this challenge. Now I enjoy setting up a defense and especially a deliberate defense but I have found it's a bit disconcerting to have Curtis successfully tear these apart piece by piece as he has done so most recently in a spate of recent playings. In the final estimation I was only timorously hopeful that my defense was going to be a rock upon which the American wave would crash and dissipate.

Because of the counter density I offered Curtis the Mini-map to peruse prior to his entry but he must have missed some glaring omissions with my setup or forgot about the 10% HIP capability of the Japanese. An infantry stack with a MMG & dm HMG in the central sector stepped into a bore-sighted location of a .50-cal directed by the 10-1 ldr...it didn't end well though a green HS with the dm HMG did manage to survive to rout out of there. He then commenced to walk into fire by a HMG directed by the 9-1 while entering a hex using open ground to get a bit further. This would be a little more painful for him though as the stack contained his 9-2 and and three squads loaded with SWs. By the time my HMG lost ROF all that remained in the hex was a disrupted green HS. Also in this sector an M4 would run afoul of some mines (immobilized) trying to press the issue and an M8 AC would receive a STUN; though another Sherman would breach into an adobe building but was left unsupported with the possibility of many THHs coming after him.

Meanwhile in the eastern sector a supporting attack would conveniently step into a hex bore-sighted by a Japanese light mortar. Don't ya just HATE those 2FP shots! while an M4 on that flank found eliminating wire is a tricky affair...especially when there's mines about. This attack would at least be stymied for some time.

His main infantry assault would commence from the west however. Still aggressive, he would push his forces as far forward as possible, this time a little more circumspect however. My HMG and several outpost Japanese were more than ready for him though and the engagement would result in what I would call a draw in the end.

He would give it a half hearted attempt to redeem his position but despondent over missing some simple LOS and the loss of most of his infantry in the central sector along with his best leader and a 9-1 being wounded he offered me his hand in resignation rather early. Needless to say I readily gabbed his paw and shook it vigorously. Wins don't come easily against Curtis and one's like this seldom, now I'm dreading our next engagement!

buser333

Reaction score
Curtis Brooks & I finished off our first SWORD & FIRE: MANILA scenario, SF1 Race To The River. Curtis would have the attacking US forces and I the Japanese. Even though the Japanese are blessed with a fairly significant force including a .50cal MG & the possibility of getting two more when removed from the two M3A1 scout cars the prospect of facing down a large potent American force with a distinct firepower advantage that included 6 tracked AFVs & a couple of scout cars (with a C10 ability no less!) was daunting. I knew I would have to pull out every defensive card in the deck to face up to this challenge. Now I enjoy setting up a defense and especially a deliberate defense but I have found it's a bit disconcerting to have Curtis successfully tear these apart piece by piece as he has done so most recently in a spate of recent playings. In the final estimation I was only timorously hopeful that my defense was going to be a rock upon which the American wave would crash and dissipate.

Because of the counter density I offered Curtis the Mini-map to peruse prior to his entry but he must have missed some glaring omissions with my setup or forgot about the 10% HIP capability of the Japanese. An infantry stack with a MMG & dm HMG in the central sector stepped into a bore-sighted location of a .50-cal directed by the 10-1 ldr...it didn't end well though a green HS with the dm HMG did manage to survive to rout out of there. He then commenced to walk into fire by a HMG directed by the 9-1 while entering a hex using open ground to get a bit further. This would be a little more painful for him though as the stack contained his 9-2 and and three squads loaded with SWs. By the time my HMG lost ROF all that remained in the hex was a disrupted green HS. Also in this sector an M4 would run afoul of some mines (immobilized) trying to press the issue and an M8 AC would receive a STUN; though another Sherman would breach into an adobe building but was left unsupported with the possibility of many THHs coming after him.

Meanwhile in the eastern sector a supporting attack would conveniently step into a hex bore-sighted by a Japanese light mortar. Don't ya just HATE those 2FP shots! while an M4 on that flank found eliminating wire is a tricky affair...especially when there's mines about. This attack would at least be stymied for some time.

His main infantry assault would commence from the west however. Still aggressive, he would push his forces as far forward as possible, this time a little more circumspect however. My HMG and several outpost Japanese were more than ready for him though and the engagement would result in what I would call a draw in the end.

He would give it a half hearted attempt to redeem his position but despondent over missing some simple LOS and the loss of most of his infantry in the central sector along with his best leader and a 9-1 being wounded he offered me his hand in resignation rather early. Needless to say I readily gabbed his paw and shook it vigorously. Wins don't come easily against Curtis and one's like this seldom, now I'm dreading our next engagement!
Since there's a bit of a Curtis-fest here, I'll echo both Tom and Houlie's sentiments and share my own story about him. Back in 2013, when I first started playing, Curtis was one of the very first people I came in contact with. We met for lunch one day, as he was in my general vicinity for a woodcarvers' convention, and he offered me (for free) a bunch of scenarios and boards that he had duplicates of. We then proceeded to play PBEM, before I pretty much completely abandoned that format for live VASL play, and he taught me a thing or two about the game. I appreciated the time he took took to welcome a noob like me into the fold, and I've tried to pass that on over the years to other newcomers to the game. I can say that he is a great guy and a very worthy opponent for anyone at any skill level.

Curtis Brooks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Awwww, you guys are so sweet (or sweaty, haven't decided).

BTW, I'm contemplating a move to Omaha NE, any ASL'ers in that neck of the woods?

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Ring AP1

Russian infantry attacked from the south along the wooded trail. German 548's with LMGs - outnumbered six to one - sortied to meet them. Rolling firefights erupted and opposing lines overlapped for two close combats. So far, the Russians have suffered three KIA and five broken to the German one KIA, two broken, and a wounded officer. T-34/85s have rolled on to support their infantry and started targeting the upper level German machine gun nest, which Russian infantry have assiduously avoided by keeping to the blinds as much as possible. The Panther has swiveled its main gun to meet the attack and the Russians fear a HIP Panzershreck lurks nearby. Both sides inflicted MG rater tears, mixed dice all around. That's the first four turns.

Attachments

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Awwww, you guys are so sweet (or sweaty, haven't decided).

BTW, I'm contemplating a move to Omaha NE, any ASL'ers in that neck of the woods?
Definitely ASL'ers in Omaha. I've met some via the Sioux City tournament. I can dig up a couple of email addresses.

Last edited:

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HazMo 25 The Trial. 16 Russian squads, mostly 5-2-7s, enter the 9-hex by 9-hex playing area on the Red Oktober map featuring gutted factories Hall 1 and Hall 2. The interior walls can allow for a fiendish defense along with the two cellar-containing buildings between the two halls. The German platoon of T60s x2 and the OT-34 appear to be channeled to a northside flank approach but the Germans have many options for setting up their PaK 35/36, leIG 18 (INF 75*) and immobilized StuG IIIB which are backed by a wounded 9-2, two walking wounded 4-4-7s, and 8 other mixed squads and two crews with SWs and two more leaders.

The Russians were able to enter the rectangular Hall 2 Rolling shop without many casualties despite 8 residual in several hexes. On turn 2 they were able to flank the Germans to along the south edge and DM some broken squads that had sought haven in the larger Hall 1 factory. Reviewing the play tips included in the pack it warns the German player to "Do not under any circumstances let the Russian infantry flank you."

An T-60 was KO'd by the ATG but the OT-34 was able to flame a stack in Hall 2. The Germans had put too many good troops forward, allowing their rout paths to be cut off and we called the game early though the bitter end probably wouldn't have been decided for a couple more turns yet. We both would play again. It would be fun devising a defensive set up or two for this scenario. At 5.5 turns I think this is a very accessible scenario for anyone wanting to dip their feet into Red Factories HASL.

On the neighboring table, HazMo 22 Waiting for the Worms was played on an area of the VotG map. Set up and moving first is random, which also modify the VC. They found it to be a "knife fight in a phone booth" and one comment I recall overhearing was "I'm trying to understand what I'm supposed to do in this scenario". Indeed, the player's notes state "This is by far the most difficult of the scenarios in this pack to grok." By the time they called it a draw after four turns (out of 7) they thought the scenario was a lot of fun.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well in our last meeting Curtis would get his revenge. Next up was the POWER STRUGGLE FOR PROVISOR, SF2. Minus the waterborne assault craft this is basically an infantry fight for the island of Provisor and a struggle it was. The Japanese and U.S. Army forces are well supplied with SW for the size of the forces involved and the Americans even have an OBA Module of 81mm Battalion Mortars (HE/WP). Additionally the Japanese can fortify a couple of building Locations and have mines, wire & a trench to assist in their defense. The kicker to the effective defense of the island by the Japanese though is the open air workshops, 2 of which could be their objective buildings (4 of 5 needed for an American victory). The American attack was much more deliberate in this engagement as Curtis figured out he needn't win in three turns (of 8.5). American firepower was the key to his winning strategy coupled with the American artillery playing that old familiar WW-II song by Irene Dunne, SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES. The small U.S. force on the island would methodically tear apart the forward Japanese positions supported by fire from their 9-2 MG nest on the opposite shore (Don't ya just hate that range of U.S. squad FP?) before the boat borne reinforcements landed on the island to assist in the final assault. Though overall I feel my dice were a bit hotter than Curtis', time and again I would find my squads pinned and facing a potential CC by superior forces while their support elements were enjoying a SMOKE break (literally in some cases). Overall it was a bloody but totally enjoyable scenario despite the loss to a well planned and executed assault.

PS NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ron Duenskie and I played FT 316 operation munchen yesterday by Scott Holst in the latest FT cellar pack. It took us 4 hours of playing time, plus setup and some time to find the old SL overlay D (reissued in the Rivers to the Reich pack).

1941 early Barbarossa battle Romanians vs early war Russians. About 16 elite and 1st line squads with 4 Pz38s (37 and 3 armor) and 2 mg tankettes (1 AF) need to cross two mostly open boards with lots of grain and two clusters of stone buildings. They must exit and/or capture sufficient stone buildings from 10 447/426, four wire, 2 ATR's and an HMG. One squad/SMC/SW get HIP. The defenders are fragile with ELR 2 and facing four AFV with 8 mg factors and two with 6 mg factors. On turn 3 they get reinforced with two T28's (76* and 3 armor) and two T-26's (45L and 3 armor)

I put most of the Russians in the two central clusters of stone buildings (duh) with the wire covering my right flank. THe defender might be tempted to HIP the HMG, but it needs to be firing early and often. I'd recommend giving one ATR to a leader and one to a squad and keeping both of them HIP as long as possible to keep the attacker honest. Once the ATR units are broken the defender is in big trouble. Ron came in mostly in the center behind some orchards. He set up his 60 MTR in the open and had a duel with my entrenched 50 mtr, which he promptly won with a snakes/KIA. My HMG, ATRs and LMG did a decent job of holding up the advance and Ron had some lousy tank shots. I burned one tankette with an ATR shot.

My four reinforcement tanks came pretty much in the middle. They challenged the Pz38's and came out on the losing end, only immobilizing one before dying, although keeping the AL and his tank too far to exit. The damned small target size saved Ron's tanks about five times. We were saying how the 'large' Sherman target size is usually what gets them killed. My ATR's killed the second tankette. That left Ron with 10 Exit VP in AFVs. Thanks to a late collapse of my defenders he had 12 VP of buildings, but needed one more.

Our game went right down to the wire with Ron (barely) taking the last VC building on the last turn for the win. It was fun and an interesting scenario. I also think the scenario has good replay value as there could be a variety of strategies on offense and defense. Nice scenario Scott.

-Paul

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Ron Duenskie and I played FT 316 operation munchen
Funny, I had just noticed yesterday morning that there hadn't been a post in this thread for two weeks, and started setting up a Russian defense for this exact scenario. Synchronicity! I have been playing through BFP's Operation Neptune scenarios and put that on hold until I got a couple of questions answered by Dave L. Really been having an Axis Minor** itch lately and remembered spotting this one in LFT's latest pack.

**As mentioned in another thread, I wish Wargame Vault would put up a download purchase of all the revamped Axis Minor scenarios (and Partisan) that came in the latest AoO edition. I bought Ed1, bought the bagged Ed2 for the extra counters, and I really have zero reason to pay for the full cost of Ed3 just for these Axis Minor scenarios. It seems that there are more than a few players who would also purchase such a download.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny, I had just noticed yesterday morning that there hadn't been a post in this thread for two weeks, and started setting up a Russian defense for this exact scenario. Synchronicity! I have been playing through BFP's Operation Neptune scenarios and put that on hold until I got a couple of questions answered by Dave L. Really been having an Axis Minor** itch lately and remembered spotting this one in LFT's latest pack.

**As mentioned in another thread, I wish Wargame Vault would put up a download purchase of all the revamped Axis Minor scenarios (and Partisan) that came in the latest AoO edition. I bought Ed1, bought the bagged Ed2 for the extra counters, and I really have zero reason to pay for the full cost of Ed3 just for these Axis Minor scenarios. It seems that there are more than a few players who would also purchase such a download.
Do you want me to keep you in mind for playtesting a Hungarian vs Rumanian CG?

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Do you want me to keep you in mind for playtesting a Hungarian vs Rumanian CG?
🤤 Don't set it in concrete, but yes, let me know when the time comes and I should be able to drum up an oppo. Either "map/counters with cam" or possibly ftf with @sswann if our schedules allow.