So - how have the dice crushed you recently?

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So the past two weeks have been fun.

Playing ASL221 Mountain Hunters. My opponent gets a "2" sniper. Lands on my 9-2 stack. Roll for one concealed unit and three unconcealed. Hits the unconcealed units. Random selection for the three units - hits the 9-2. Wound severity - six. I resign. That stack had the FT and all the other good stuff.

Next week, same opponent, playing ASL238 Audacity! He is the German. He moves a squad and his 9-2 into close combat with an in motion French tank. Dead tank? No - he rolls a nine and the tank survives . He reminds me to roll for my CC attack. French tank has a 2 CMG in motion goes to a 1. I told him I could barely be bothered to roll a 1-6 odds but here goes - I roll snakes. Casualty reduction. Random selection - a five and a five. Both units effected. Wound severity on the 9-2 - a six :rolleyes: My opponent resigns.

Next week we play a scenario without a 9-2 or above in it :D

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thread title goes
So - how have the dice crushed you recently?

Shouldn't it be
So - how have you crushed the dice recently?

Fight baaaack! 💣

von Marwitz

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A while back I played ASL93 Tavronitis Bridge as the British. I had a German 2 Sniper hit a stack with a 9-1 and two 4-5-8 squads (I believe my 8-1 had Battle Hardened earlier in the game). RS picked the leader (naturally), who subsequently failed his Wound Severity dr. Both squads then had to take a +1 LLMC. The first squad rolled 6,6 and the second one rolled a 4,5. So the results of a 2 sniper were a dead leader, a broken and ELR'd half squad, and a broken squad.

More recently, I played FT239 Armored Probe at Sidi-Nsir as the Italians/Germans. Over the course of the first 5 turns, I rolled at least 11 boxcars. We called the game at that point since I had basically malf'd/broken/ELR'd/CR'd half of my force with my own dice rolls. Will look forward to replaying it with different dice in the future.

Gotta love this game...

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I make it into the half squads hex with a 9-0 commissar and three squads. Opponent rolls a 7 at -2 final fire. 5 on a 2 = NMC. Whole stack fails with rolls of 10, 8 ,12, 8.
Doesn't the Commissar have a 10 ML?
The 10 would pass (not subject to pin)
8 would pass with any non conscript
12 well yeah you are screwed here.
8 ibid.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Doesn't the Commissar have a 10 ML?
Nope - he was a 9-0. The uplift in morale of +1 only effects units that he is with - not himself.

Reading back got that one wrong - he was in a Human Wave so 10 morale indeed :)

As somebody else mentioned way back in this thread.................

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing AP 92(?) End of the Beginning. My Japanese are rushing these final few turns towards the rear hill. Two Brit snipers (duh, both 1s) a few DRs apart whack both 9-1s on this side of the map cutting my leader corps in this crucial zone in half. I haven't had any sniper attacks in 5 turns ( sinceT2…)

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Playing AP 92(?) End of the Beginning. My Japanese are rushing these final few turns towards the rear hill. Two Brit snipers (duh, both 1s) a few DRs apart whack both 9-1s on this side of the map cutting my leader corps in this crucial zone in half. I haven't had any sniper attacks in 5 turns ( sinceT2…)
OH! THE HUMANITY!

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You know things are getting bad when you start to post here again...........

Playing J183 A Real Barn Burner. Opponent rolls snakes on the same unit twice. Rolls Battle Hardening twice.

A 7 morale French unit becomes a 9 morale French unit.

Guess who made it into the barn for a French win :rolleyes:

Guess who was playing the Germans :D

Last edited:

ASLmedic

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
You know things are getting bad when you start to post here again...........

Playing J183 A Real Barn Burner. Opponent rolls snakes on the same unit twice. Rolls Battle Hardening twice.

A 7 morale French unit becomes a 9 morale French unit.

Guess who made it into the barn for a French win :rolleyes:

Guess who was playing the Germans :D
Thank you for a good game.Nice firelanes,but we had true grognards. Vive la France🇫🇷!

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I've had a number of scenarios with the following result. For example, German SAN of 2, Russian SAN of 5. The Russian '5' will get rolled two dozen times, but only result in two 'soft' snipers. The German '2' will only get rolled twice, both be 'killer' snipers and wipeout key stacks/deathstars. It is what it is, I guess.

I've also had a number of games where, for example, both sides have a SAN 3. Both sides are activated several times, but one side gets all subsequent 1s or 2s, the other side always gets 3-6s.

I truly do not dislike this happenstance. To me the randomness of this (and a dozen other random factors) are what make each game interesting. If killer snipers wiped out my two killstacks on the opening turn, I'd probably vote to restart the scenario if my oppo agreed. Anything beyond the opening turn is otherwise just spice and extra flavoring for me.

trailrunner

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played BoF23 Anhalt Pandemonium over the weekend. I was the Germans, facing a Russian force that included two T-34s and IS-2s each. My Stugs were impotent against them unless I got a side shot, which was not likely. But I did have two PSKs and since the scenario was set in 1945, I also had inherent PFs with a good chance of success.

I was allowed HIP of a squad, and I hid a PSK in a perfect ambush position. A T-34 rolled up right in front of me, so I jumped up and triumphantly shot him in the face. And I missed.

I had four PF chances, one of which was another key ambush opportunity. Two of those attempts I rolled a 6. The other attempt was unsuccessful. I did manage to get one shot off and one kill, so it wasn't all bad. Consistent with the poor performance of my LATWs, all my IFT attacks seemed to be completely impotent. 😢