Manila questions

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, that is the only one, IIRC - but that's why the rule needs to say "Manhole".

When I first proofed that rule, I was just about to suggest "Manhole" could removed (the rules text comes from other HASL rules), when I realized this special way into the Intramuros.
I was hoping the sewers would be more widespread and easier to use for the Japanese like in Stalingrad. I thought they were a lot of fun to play with.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curious....how much more widespread could they be? All over the map with at least 100 manholes in the streets....reread the sewer rule in Manila...SF4 Sewers....six hexes for Sewer Movement...not three like normal. We found sewer movement on the Manila map much easier than say, Red Barricades.

Last edited:

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Is the tobacco factory an ASL factory as it vehicle entry points?

I don’t suppose the shoe factory is an ASL factory?

I know that neither are deemed to be warehouses. any thoughts welcome

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is the tobacco factory an ASL factory as it vehicle entry points?

I don’t suppose the shoe factory is an ASL factory?

I know that neither are deemed to be warehouses. any thoughts welcome
Cigar Factory is indeed a factory. Shoe factory is in name only...treat as normal stone building.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
There needs to be a rule/SSR defining a building as a factory - there being a road entering the building is not enough.

B23.23:
"A Factory exists only by SSR,..."
Thanks Apparently there’s a table of building heights too. 🤔

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't think the Hike Shoe Factory didn't tempt me to do some creative relabeling.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So how can one tell which buildings on the map are factories? Multi-hex steel walled buildings are factories, but other wise there is no SSR. (Warehouses are empty factories with no hindrance or TEM inside).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So how can one tell which buildings on the map are factories? Multi-hex steel walled buildings are factories, but other wise there is no SSR. (Warehouses are empty factories with no hindrance or TEM inside).
Stay tuned....

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think steps should be taken to resolve this?
Ahhhh wait if steps are taken it would be ground level only?? Then it would be a factory Doh 🙄 😂
All in fun.

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curious....how much more widespread could they be? All over the map with at least 100 manholes in the streets....reread the sewer rule in Manila...SF4 Sewers....six hexes for Sewer Movement...not three like normal. We found sewer movement on the Manila map much easier than say, Red Barricades.
In Red Barricades or VOTG you could emerge in buildings under enemy units. Not likely to happen when the sewers are in open ground.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In Red Barricades or VOTG you could emerge in buildings under enemy units. Not likely to happen when the sewers are in open ground.
True. But then, there were no sewers in Manila like there were in Stalingrad. We used sewer movement in place of having to keep extensive written records of lots of tunnels which the Japanese did use. Which would you rather have.....our playtesters voted to cut the written records and use sewer movement instead. You lose one option (moving up into a building under enemy troops) but you gain an option (six hexes rather than three). Seemed like a good trade off in our playings....yours may differ. Just need to use different tactics in Manila.

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The vehicle note for the Japanese M3A1(a) Scout Car shows a B11 for the armament. Does the B11 still apply if the weapons are taken off the vehicle or does captured use rule A21.11 apply and it becomes B10? I think the former since the note explains that the B11 is due to old ammo rather than unfamiliarity with the weapon.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The vehicle note for the Japanese M3A1(a) Scout Car shows a B11 for the armament. Does the B11 still apply if the weapons are taken off the vehicle or does captured use rule A21.11 apply and it becomes B10? I think the former since the note explains that the B11 is due to old ammo rather than unfamiliarity with the weapon.
IIRC - the Japanese-colored .50-cal HMG(a) and MMG(a) (which you use when taken off) show "B11".

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Manila question can minefield factors be exchanged for booby traps in relevant scenarios e.g. SF14 the price of postage ??

Or without SSR is it prohibited.
See B 28.9. 🤔 Which I know is relevant to boards. But is it relevant to maps?? 😳

gbartlett2001

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am looking for some clarification on the entry area for the American forces in CG1 - the OB says on/west of 4H1 - is this correct? 4H1 is on Map #2 which allows the Americans to enter across the entire North edge. If that is the case then it would seem to spread out the Japanese defenders, I’m wondering if it should just be H1 which is on Map #1.

I just want to make sure we understand this correctly.

Thanks for all of the hard work on this module. It looks amazing and I can’t wait to push some counters across these beautiful maps.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am looking for some clarification on the entry area for the American forces in CG1 - the OB says on/west of 4H1 - is this correct? 4H1 is on Map #2 which allows the Americans to enter across the entire North edge. If that is the case then it would seem to spread out the Japanese defenders, I’m wondering if it should just be H1 which is on Map #1.

I just want to make sure we understand this correctly.

Thanks for all of the hard work on this module. It looks amazing and I can’t wait to push some counters across these beautiful maps.
4H1 on Map 2 is correct. The Americans may enter anywhere along the northern edge on or west of that point.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Manila question can minefield factors be exchanged for booby traps in relevant scenarios e.g. SF14 the price of postage ??

Or without SSR is it prohibited.
See B 28.9. 🤔 Which I know is relevant to boards. But is it relevant to maps?? 😳
There are three scenarios which give the Japanese Boobytrap capability, and they were playtested as such. I've looked over quite a few of the playtest AAR's and found none where the players said they exchanged mines for boobytraps. The intent was to only allow boobytraps only in the scenarios so designated. If you go ahead and do the exchange anyway it could alter the balance...so I would advise against it. Not sure it is allowed in any other HASL's either.