Is the firing of starshells considered simultaneous or sequential?

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi gents,

I think its probably sequential but am not 100% sure. Consider these pics:
Situation 1:
starshell.JPG

NVR is 4. Here Squad A can place a starshell on squad C by method 2:
E1.922 PLACEMENT:
2. If the Starshell firer has a LOS to a Gunflash, or to a Known enemy unit that is < nine hexes away from the firer, he can initially place the Starshell either in that target's hex or along the firer's LOS to it;....

I think that's pretty clear.

Situation 2:
starshell 2.JPG

However, if Squad B jumps the gun and fires his starshell first and has it land in BB14; because squad A is now illuminated and Squad C is not (thus A has no LOS to him) - is squad A no longer allowed to use method 2 to place his starshell on squad C? Or do you ignore illumination considerations when determining LOS for when placing starshells (because it is considered to be done simultaneously)? (IOW basically do you need to be careful of the order you p[lace them to prevent this type of situation developing?)

Thanks,
John

Attachments

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
or..............can you light somebody up.........................and now you have LOS to do even better Starshell shots?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I have played it sequentially. I have seen nothing in the tome to indicate any other way. So, yes, you want to think about the order that you make the attempts.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi gents,

I think its probably sequential but am not 100% sure. Consider these pics:
Situation 1:
starshell.JPG

NVR is 4. Here Squad A can place a starshell on squad C by method 2:
E1.922 PLACEMENT:
2. If the Starshell firer has a LOS to a Gunflash, or to a Known enemy unit that is < nine hexes away from the firer, he can initially place the Starshell either in that target's hex or along the firer's LOS to it;....

I think that's pretty clear.

Situation 2:
starshell 2.JPG

However, if Squad B jumps the gun and fires his starshell first and has it land in BB14; because squad A is now illuminated and Squad C is not (thus A has no LOS to him) - is squad A no longer allowed to use method 2 to place his starshell on squad C? Or do you ignore illumination considerations when determining LOS for when placing starshells (because it is considered to be done simultaneously)? (IOW basically do you need to be careful of the order you p[lace them to prevent this type of situation developing?)

Thanks,
John
Per E1.921 all non-leaders would have to fire their Starshells at the beginning of the PFPh/enemy-MPh [EXC: Initial use of Starshells] and in sequential order with effects taking place immediately, just like normal shots.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree that Starshell Usage Attempts and Placement are sequential. Players don't have to predesignate attempts, and are free to observe the outcome of each attempt.

Note that in your example, Squad A could still attempt to place a starshell in DD17, DD18, or CC19 using method 3, which doesn't require an LOS to the targeted hex. IOW, an Illuminated unit may attempt to place a starshell in hexes that are out of its LOS.