Losheimergraben, Buchholz Station

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Does anyone know of any scenarios covering the battles for the Losheimergraben Crossroads? (Just over 1km from Buchholz Station). The potential exists to
link the two, esp. concerning the dawn attacks by the 27th Fusiliers on both positions occupied by the 394th Infantry, and the movement of the latter s weapons company and reserves…not to mention the literal “fog“ that threw confusion into that dawn.
IMO, the 394th’s fateful positions on Dec. 16th, 1944 make that day worthy of a series of 4-5 actions.

My sense from the readings I’ve done, is that the historic outcome of that day represents the best result possible for the defenders who delayed the Wacht am Rhein offensive by 24hours.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
One scenario, Dewey’s Scratch Force. The whole scenario is on ASL Scenario Archive. Have you read The Key to the bulge: The battle for Losheimergraben
Just reserved that and Blossoming Silk at the library. Don't know if I can read them both but wtf. Thanks for your reccomendation.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I found it on the web and read the preview pages…haven’t. Sourced the book yet.
“Grunts”, John C McManus, chapter 4: Scenes from the Northern shoulder of the bulge.

”Operations of Company K. 394th Infantry…” paper for The Advanced Infantry Officers Course Fort Benning 1949-50” Cpt. Wesley J. Simmons

I wasn’t sure if I could post external links.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks. I’ve read that too. Great read.
There are discrepancies concerning the AT guns and TDs at Buchholz.
57mm being unlimbered

3” rounds being fired (towed 76mm?)
description of a TD ”lumbering Up”
im looking for help here:
The 57mm being the 394ths inherent AT gun(s).
76mm being “Task Force X” that were moved from the Losheim Gap?
M10 from 820th TD?

I’m wondering if some authors, reconstructed events have conflated towed 76 guns with M10s or 57mm guns w 76mm.
Any clarity on this would be welcomed.
Also, how was a 57mm typically towed?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. I’ve read that too. Great read.
There are discrepancies concerning the AT guns and TDs at Buchholz.
57mm being unlimbered

3” rounds being fired (towed 76mm?)
description of a TD ”lumbering Up”
im looking for help here:
The 57mm being the 394ths inherent AT gun(s).
76mm being “Task Force X” that were moved from the Losheim Gap?
M10 from 820th TD?

I’m wondering if some authors, reconstructed events have conflated towed 76 guns with M10s or 57mm guns w 76mm.
Any clarity on this would be welcomed.
Also, how was a 57mm typically towed?
The Google has some good pics of US prime movers. Said halftracks and the WC 62 truck, but we are talking the internet.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but the U.S. Army designated two types of weapon platforms as Tank Destroyer: towed weapons, like the 57mm, and the mobile open topped tracked vehicles like the M10 that we normally think of as tank destroyers. Hence, it is possible that the author was referring to an AT gun “lumbering“ (limbering) up.
I remember also being confused by the TD terminology when I first came across it in my own reading when the author was referring to a towed AT gun. IIRC, it was in Macdonald’s A Time For Trumpets, where he kept calling towed guns TDs. I had to do a little digging on the USA’s OOBs to riddle it out.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My interest in expanding this scenario began with the scentence in the aftermath that the battle would go to the side that reinforced first.
Both sides had possibilities of receiving air, artillery and armour support as well as the remainder of their respective battalions.

From what I’ve seen on Google maps, I think boards 65 and 57 make a reasonable Buchholz.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but the U.S. Army designated two types of weapon platforms as Tank Destroyer: towed weapons, like the 57mm, and the mobile open topped tracked vehicles like the M10 that we normally think of as tank destroyers. Hence, it is possible that the author was referring to an AT gun “lumbering“ (limbering) up.
I remember also being confused by the TD terminology when I first came across it in my own reading when the author was referring to a towed AT gun. IIRC, it was in Macdonald’s A Time For Trumpets, where he kept calling towed guns TDs. I had to do a little digging on the USA’s OOBs to riddle it out.
Yes in the common parlance of the times both towed and self propelled anti-tank formations were called Tank Destroyer units but officially were parenthetically referenced with a (T) or (towed) or (SP) addendum to their designations. As Polar Bear has graciously provided, it's probably best to research individual unit histories or pertinent sources to find specific data.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There were M1 57mm AT Guns at the Infantry level battalion and regiment AT company. Tank Destroyers came in towed 3 inch (76mm) and the self propelled 76mm example M10. The towed AT guns were transported by halftrack. The After Action Reviews are on line either at the Tank Destroyer website or the Combined Arms Research Library at Ft Leavenworth.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank you for those resource.
There is reference to 37mm HE rounds in the 801st AAR. Did TD recon troops use the lighter 37mm?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Just reserved that and Blossoming Silk at the library. Don't know if I can read them both but wtf. Thanks for your reccomendation.
I have been reading The Key to the Bulge. Very enjoyable.

At Bucholz Station currently. The author referred to " battle at the boxcars " which sounds like a great scenario title.

Thanks for the reccomendation!

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have been reading The Key to the Bulge. Very enjoyable.

At Bucholz Station currently. The author referred to " battle at the boxcars " which sounds like a great scenario title.

Thanks for the reccomendation!
Great book. I liked the Longest Winter also about the I&R Platoon that made a stand against the German Paras. There is a scenario about it but it’s old. All hand picked soldiers for the platoon based on soldier skill, marksmanship and intelligence.