AP185 Unsanity.....how does the CPVA overcome no move?

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi gents,

I am trying to set this up as the CPVA player and am totally confounded.....to me it looks like they have very little chance of victory. It seems that because of W7.42 INFANTRY PLATOON MOVEMENT (IPM) movement restrictions their defense will be even more static than normal in a night scenario. I suspect that at best very few CPVA units will make it into the fight.

For example if I have a group setup ready to IPM BUT the only unit that can see an enemy is the participating leader I can foresee that perhaps ONLY his hex will be allowed to participate in the IPM. All others will still be under no move counters and thus must stay put.

Although I think the attack may largely be funneled along the roads (maybe) and that may be the case due to the vehicles, it looks to me like there is just enough infantry so that NO vehicles need exit and there seems to be enough time that the 4 tanks alone could avoid the roads and exit for the win. I realize the NVR is greater when observing moving vehicles but there don't seem to be a great deal of large LOS areas on the board.

I certainly don't say any of this is certain...especially without playing the scenario yet but it does appear that way to me on first analysis. I am wondering if I am overlooking some big advantage the CPVA has on defense at night. Any advice?

Thanks,
John

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I played this as the CPVA a few months ago, and yes, the vast majority of my units remained asleep all night. The big factor that tipped it to a CPVA win was that the US units were essentially road-bound moving through constricted areas. I had just enough activated units to delay the vehicles (and die in the process) and there was not enough time to meet the exit VP conditions.
This was the situation after US turn 5:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Stuff like this usually ends up with us playing a different scenario, no need to dwell on something that is either unbalanced, not well designed, not fun for one side or you just can't figure out how to play whichever side seems to be at a disadvantage. We try as best we can to make all Dispatches scenarios balanced and hopefully fun. Good luck with Unsanity, looks like you might need it.

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I played this as the CPVA a few months ago, and yes, the vast majority of my units remained asleep all night. The big factor that tipped it to a CPVA win was that the US units were essentially road-bound moving through constricted areas. I had just enough activated units to delay the vehicles (and die in the process) and there was not enough time to meet the exit VP conditions.
Yeah if the CPVA are gonna win I think it will be because of that. But do the US -HAVE- to stay on the roads? Also judging by your screen shot the US seems to be going really slow by my estimation.....I would figure that by T5 he would be somewhere on board 68/76. Even if he did stay on the road what is saying the US must stay on the trucks? You maybe bring the troops on them on unload at the earliest opportunity and then forge ahead with the infantry, bringing the trucks up after the coast is clear.

Maybe I am missing something.

John Fedoriw

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Stuff like this usually ends up with us playing a different scenario, no need to dwell on something that is either unbalanced, not well designed, not fun for one side or you just can't figure out how to play whichever side seems to be at a disadvantage. We try as best we can to make all Dispatches scenarios balanced and hopefully fun. Good luck with Unsanity, looks like you might need it.
With so many scenarios out there that is sound advice. We decided to play all the Korean scenarios in the AP and this was the next up. As one of my opponents says "It's just a game..." (he's not a heretic...he's not talking about ASL ;)). I can always give it my best shot, lose graciously because I can't figure the CPVA strategy out, and then move on to the next scenario....

Of course my scenario analysis could also be totally off the mark on this one......then we need to play it to see.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Yeah if the CPVA are gonna win I think it will be because of that. But do the US -HAVE- to stay on the roads? Also judging by your screen shot the US seems to be going really slow by my estimation.....I would figure that by T5 he would be somewhere on board 68/76. Even if he did stay on the road what is saying the US must stay on the trucks? You maybe bring the troops on them on unload at the earliest opportunity and then forge ahead with the infantry, bringing the trucks up after the coast is clear.

Maybe I am missing something.
I think I agree with your assessment of US game plan. Would be interesting to try it that way.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CVPA -- concentrate groups around the choke points.
US --Don't stop. (except maybe as you mentioned to pull a few infantry off the trucks)

Thanks for trying all of the scenarios in this AP. I will admit that not every one is going to be most players' 'cup of tea' . Like an album from the classic rock era, some songs are 'filler', maybe a cover or two and a few might be just what the band (ME) wanted to do creatively at the time. Taken together, you will understand the complete story of the First Team during these years. I couldn't really tell that story without a chapter on the disaster at Unsan.

That is why you get 17(!) scenarios in this one.

Last edited:

tallin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Pete says, concentrate your CVPA groups. Put leaders in upper floors and bait the American to fire at something that that leader can observe and then he can activate. Don't forget to roll for your best leader to activate him.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
CVPA -- concentrate groups around the choke points.
US --Don't stop. (except maybe as you mentioned to pull a few infantry off the trucks)

Thanks for trying all of the scenarios in this AP. I will admit that not every one is going to be most players' 'cup of tea' . Like an album from the classic rock era, some songs are 'filler', maybe a cover or two and some are just what the band (ME) wanted to do creatively at the time. Taken together, you will understand the complete story of the First Team during these years. I couldn't really tell that story without a chapter on the disaster at Unsan.

That is why you get 17(!) scenarios in this one.
This Action Pack is great! No need to apologize! I really like KW, so please keep ‘‘em coming.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
As Pete says, concentrate your CVPA groups. Put leaders in upper floors and bait the American to fire at something that that leader can observe and then he can activate. Don't forget to roll for your best leader to activate him.
This seems to be a good idea. I was so frustrated because I couldn’t get the 9-0 to activate for the life of me.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even at ground level -- don't forget these are LIGHT woods, so do not block same-level LOS