Finn Project

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The project has been a blast to work on. There are some really meaty pieces to play as well as some lighter fare. I'm working on one now for Chas. 50 scenarios could be included easy, but we'd never be done...Sounds like Chas has settled on a close to final number

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw the "ad" in the FTC 12, and sounds like funn. Though I am guessing someone is already complaining about more counters

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Finn project & Peleliu are my absolute must buy.

I am almost certain to purchase Ponyri & the French/ Indochina modules when they are released but everything else is a big wait and see.

There are some really nice-looking items in the queue, but I am at almost a saturation level.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Not me. I love the counter artwork from BFP and prefer their counters to others.
Agreed! If I could have a complete set of ASL counters from any one publisher, it would be from BFP. Others are good, but BFP's are the best, IMO. The newer editions of LFT counters (e.g. LFT 14 Italians) would run a very close second.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The variety of actions the Finns fought against both the Russians and the Germans will make this pack an absolute add to any collection.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Update. Still at 24 scenarios Final or near Final. 10 scenarios are in great shape and possibly 2 games away from going final/near final.
I have cut some stuff but somehow still standing at 42 scenarios, although some may not make the final cut.
Getting the final 8-10 scenarios done is always the most difficult part.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
42F GA Tu-2

This is the Ground Attack version with only an external bomb load, which was massive, and two 20mm cannons that could attack ground targets. First use against the Finns was 9 June 1944, and hammered front line positions along with IL-2s.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wasn't this used fairly extensively against shipping? IIRC I thought I had read somewhere/sometime these were used in the Baltic area especially late in the war when the Germans were trapped in the Courland pocket and around Konigsberg.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wasn't this used fairly extensively against shipping? IIRC I thought I had read somewhere/sometime these were used in the Baltic area especially late in the war when the Germans were trapped in the Courland pocket and around Konigsberg.
The bomber version with an external and internal payload, I would say that is likely.

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I was setting up a Finn (defense) scenario recently with lots of exposed woodlines, and dreamed of a mtr in my OOB that was not there. Checking Chapter H, I was surprised to find they only field a huge 120mm in their arsenal. No "meatball throwers", no 81mm. I can't be certain, but I think I may have played a Finn scenario or two where they have German 81mm in their OOB, but can't recall at all any that fielded a SW-sized mtr.

Knee-deep in your Finn Pack research/design, have you found this to still universally be the case? With a huge Finns Only pack being undertaken, I'm wondering if any other mtr/MTR usage by them has been uncovered? With the research that went into Chapter H, I can only assume that they manufactured none but the 120mm....but were 'gifted' mtrs/MTRs used more prevalently than past Finn scenarios suggest? Or, was mortar usage simply not in their style of warfare? Especially with set-position, Mannerheim Line scenarios being researched/designed, it would seem to be a gimme that they would have had mortars in their defence. Or maybe not.

FMFCB

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llCanada
Weren't the Finns using/manufacturing Brandt 81mm or copies there of.

MMP may have used German 81's for ease of production of counters??? No Chapter H notes required for Finns in BV back in the old days. The older scenarios used German MGs too.

Last edited:

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Off the top of my head I can tell you that they used at least two different types of 47mm in limited numbers. Reason is that they captured enough Russian 50mm and ammunition and liked them much better. Also used the pretty standard 81mm.
Hope this helps

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Off the top of my head I can tell you that they used at least two different types of 47mm in limited numbers. Reason is that they captured enough Russian 50mm and ammunition and liked them much better. Also used the pretty standard 81mm.
Hope this helps
I thought they had 81mm Mortars
Checked the HP scenarios and saw no mortar usage by the Finns, so I'm not sure where I am remembering it from. Checked my Finn Plano and saw the German 50mm, 81mm, etc, in Finn colors. So they did have mortars, but I can't find a scenario using them.

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Weren't the Finns using/manufacturing Brandt 81mm or copies there of.
Yes, the Finn-colored 81mm in their Plano are not straight-across German 81s, but appear to be from another nationality originally; e.g. they have the weird range parameters (by date) on the front of the counter. Would that be the Brandt's you speak of?