Manila maps....

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK now that I have Manila.... how in the hell does everyone play these multi-map CGs???
Neil and I are looking at CG2 which is 4 mapsheets, so we need a table that is 4 feet x 6 feet!!!

Who has a 4 foot wide table? And even if we do put a piece of plywood or something on top of our table how do you play on such a wide field?

LOS checks in the middle are going to be a PITA for sure.

I'm getting old I know and this is borderline putting me off playing it. I likely will but even my "game room" is only about 9x9? so if I put down a 4 foot wide table I get 2.5 feet for my fat ass on a chair???

Did the map really need to be this big?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
How to do LOS checks in the middle of such a map (and with stacks of counters in multiple levels) is a question I raised while the HASL was under development.

I do not have an answer. Maybe the playtesters have.

Then you have VASL...

Maybe most scenaios (or even CGs?) might only use one of / some of /part of the maps?

von Marwitz

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I have not fully dove into it yet....... I think there is a two part CG that cuts down on the map size. But I agree...... at that large of a playing area, in real life would not be doable (I am a short fellow)........

There is always VASL which is how I will play the large CG in my retirement years.

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
they do give you a one sheet map of the entire playing area. Probably not detailed enough to do LOS checks though..........

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do agree that VASL is great for CG play. But I personally prefer ftf play when it comes to scenarios or small CG's. Pushing around cardboard is more fun I think. As for Manila, I do not think I'll ever get to the CG's but am hoping the scenarios are playable on a normal table, my table is about 4ft by 6 feet, so the CG is a no go.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Are you sure CGII is four map sheets? I thought that CGIV was the four mapper. I heard CGs I-III are only two maps each. CG IV is four maps and CGV is six maps.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
CGI -2 Maps
CGII- 4 Maps
CGIII-3 Maps
CGIV-2 Maps
CGV -6 Maps

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've done some large HASL maps myself. I can understand how the designers of the Manila map can want to cover the entire battlefield - enthusiasm for the battle causes that!

The vast majority of play on large HASLs is probably with smaller scenarios or smaller CGs - which makes sense. But I think map design should mirror how the HASL will actually be played, and maybe this was anticipated by the designers after all. Don't know..

But if I were to plan another HASL, I would want it to:

• be between 2 major forces (ie. German, Japanese, Russian, American, British). Not interested in the more obscure nationalities
  • be on a somewhat small HASL board to allow the CG to be fully played by many, speed up design / production / release. (ie. Arnhem is the perfect size battle for a HASL I think)
  • (best) go to geoboards with large overlays and approach smaller HASL actions of which many qualify

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
they do give you a one sheet map of the entire playing area. Probably not detailed enough to do LOS checks though..........
I just tried the mini map for several LOS checks...works OK, even for my 62yr old eyes. Probably works good enough for any places you can't reach...at least between reasonable players.