#67: Fresh Grist

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a friendly reminder, Wire can’t go in buildings. Thanks for the cool video.

Also, broken units can rout away from units in their hex.

Maybe just one secret tunnel ? The fortified locations might be better, especially when a banzai charge gets stopped cold and bounced back into the residual and then you rake ‘em over the coals with Final Fire, lol, good times.

The only people I know to win as the Japanese are Gor-Gor and Domovic, both superb experts. Gor-Gor played it (vs Chamberland) slow and careful, not the usual way for the IJA. The banzia charges came one after the other at the very end. The onus here is on the Japanese. They gotta think a little outside the box and play a very tight game.

Vrosso also won as the IJA adding “Turn 6 indeed was one of the most intricate and complex turns I've played ...”

Last edited:

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just a friendly reminder, Wire can’t go in buildings. Thanks for the cool video.

Maybe just one secret tunnel ? The fortified locations might be better, especially when a banzai charge gets stopped cold and bounced back into the residual and then you rake ‘em over the coals with Final Fire, lol, good times.

The only people I know to win as the Japanese are Gor-Gor and Domovic, both superb experts. Gor-Gor played it (vs Chamberland) slow and careful, not the usual way for the IJA. The banzia charges came one after the other at the very end. The onus here is on the Japanese. They gotta think a little outside the box and play a very tight game.

Vrosso also one as the IJA adding “Turn 6 indeed was one of the most intricate and complex turns I've played ...”
Steve Pleva has also won as the Japanese. :)

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob is referencing post #53 in this really good thread:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob is referencing post #53 in this really good thread:

Yeah, JR has a way with words. The thread might be worth reading for anybody about to play this one.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob I think it has something to do with Steve's avatar but I am not really sure . Do you know why it's his nickname?
My guess is he likes the song ‘Godzilla’ by Blue Oyster Cult. Gor-Gor is Godzilla’s nick name. I tend to think somebody else gave it to him but don’t know who or when. It’s an apt title, plus only the cool kids know whom I am talking about.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
My guess is he likes the song ‘Godzilla’ by Blue Oyster Cult. Gor-Gor is Godzilla’s nick name. I tend to think somebody else gave it to him but don’t know who or when. It’s an apt title, plus only the cool kids know whom I am talking about.
Thanks Bob. Big early BOC fan. Fish borrowed my Secret Treaties album to get it signed by one of the band, Buck Dharma IIRC. He was playing at a bar in Lake Milton. It's a funny profession. He passed and I never got the album back. Story is better than the album anyway. YMMV

Last edited:

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks - I need to remember this more often!
Yep - but in this instance there were adjacent enemy units in each 'exit' hex, which is why I think they were eliminated.

Good point - thanks!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks - I need to remember this more often!

Yep - but in this instance there were adjacent enemy units in each 'exit' hex, which is why I think they were eliminated.

Good point - thanks!
Surrendered unless no quarter is in effect. They don't try to surrender to berserk units. They know better.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just a friendly reminder, Wire can’t go in buildings.
Nor can AA guns unless the location is at ground level and fortified.

Edit to add: please ignore this tripe. Note to self- never make comments about rules without actually reading them first.

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played that one. It is tough for the Japanese - they have to eliminate the Chinese with as few casualties as possible. So no Banzai charges until the end game?

If I played it again I would place elite Chinese squads with LMG's to put firelanes down the roads with a tunnel as an escape route / way to replace it. The Japanese have to cross those roads at some point and a 1FP at -1 or -2 can hurt...........

Many thanks for more content 👍

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played that one. It is tough for the Japanese - they have to eliminate the Chinese with as few casualties as possible. So no Banzai charges until the end game?

You hit the nail on the head. What's tough about the scenario is after playing 1000 scenarios with Japanese Banzai'ing on the first turn (and paying little attention to casualties incurred in the process), a player is suddenly confronted with a scenario where the conventional wisdom no longer applies, and the Japanese have to play in an urban setting (PTO is not in effect) against a (typically) inferior Chinese opponent (447s / 448s vs. mostly 337s, B12 SW vs. B11 SW, etc) who is nonetheless dug-in. So a good Japanese player is going to go back to the drawing board and completely rethink how he plays the Japanese, advancing methodically (you can theoretically Assault-Advance to victory), inflicting maximum casualties while suffering as few as possible in order to limit Chinese reinforcements. The Japanese have to pay special attention to keeping their tanks alive, because losing one of them is worth nearly 2 Chinese reinf squads (5 CVP) . . .

Last edited: