ASL Overlay Bundle is now up for preorder!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I don't know how the overlay bundle will be incorporated into VASL but I personally view it as a treasure trove of new possibilities for the boards that already exist. If my understanding of VASL is correct this is a simple procedure.

Lol you guys got it made. Back in my day we would walk three miles, uphill both ways through four foot snow drifts just to borrow some scissors to cut out our overlays. And they were the safety kindergarten ones too. 😉

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know how the overlay bundle will be incorporated into VASL but I personally view it as a treasure trove of new possibilities for the boards that already exist. If my understanding of VASL is correct this is a simple procedure.

Lol you guys got it made. Back in my day we would walk three miles, uphill both ways through four foot snow drifts just to borrow some scissors to cut out our overlays. And they were the safety kindergarten ones too. 😉
yeah but back then we only had to lug BV, Yanks and Rulebook.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The overlays are already in VASL. No new overlays in the bundle.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So...is there anything in this pack that is not in any of the re-issue core modules? Can't decide whether to buy other than to have a set of spares?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
No new overlays in the bundle.
But I reckon, that the overlays presented in the bundle have the 'latest' artwork.

So, for example, I assume that the bundle has the new desert design, for example, which would better fit on the SK-style desert boards. Consequently, those who have not bought the new HL core module but do own a map bundle, will have a chance to get hold of the matching overlays only via the overlay bundle (apart from buying the core module, of course...).

von Marwitz

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
So...is there anything in this pack that is not in any of the re-issue core modules? Can't decide whether to buy other than to have a set of spares?
I believe the hedge/bocage overlays originally appeared in a Journal (4?), and I don't think the various overlays from AP2 were ever reprinted elsewhere, at least not all of them. I may be wrong.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pete to what extent do current tastes influence your scenario designs?
Somewhat. I try to lead players to try new things, but often worry about being TOO far ahead.

Do you feel that you have the ability to affect the consumer tastes or do you feel that you have to cater to the current tastes for scenarios?
I usually try to mix the familiar, tried-and-true concepts (ASL is already a great game after all) with at least one new sort of 'hook'.

Or given the glut of scenarios do you think that what you design really has an impact?
I certainly LIKE to think I make a difference. When I see one of my 'hooks' get copied, I feel like this is the case.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Somewhat. I try to lead players to try new things, but often worry about being TOO far ahead.

I usually try to mix the familiar, tried-and-true concepts (ASL is already a great game after all) with at least one new sort of 'hook'.

I certainly LIKE to think I make a difference. When I see one of my 'hooks' get copied, I feel like this is the case.
Thanks Pete!!! That was a great first episode of Twenty Questions With Actionjick.

Very informative answers btw.🤗

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

One more question.

Could another Road To Wiltz be made acceptable to modern tastes?

I lied. Another.

Would you ever design a RTW type scenario for fun, yourself, or sh!ts and giggles as we used to say. In other words do you ever design scenarios just for you?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Overlays can ba a major PITA but I always thought it was a great idea. Now with VASL seems like much less of a pain.
Oh no, they’re still a PITA. Converting them, placing them, everything about them. To VASLize one overlay I have to render it three times, then rotate a copy of each, then tweak each one of the six to make them align with the VASL hex grid…which btw, is not square nor uniform throughout a geoboard. I hate overlays. But I’m not bitter 😃

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
One more question.

Could another Road To Wiltz be made acceptable to modern tastes?

I lied. Another.

Would you ever design a RTW type scenario for fun, yourself, or sh!ts and giggles as we used to say. In other words do you ever design scenarios just for you?
What does this have to do with overlays? Not that an interview with Pete isn't interesting in it's own right, but why would you conduct it in the middle of somebody else's thread. Surely it deserves it's own thread, no?

The hijacking is really not amusing or comical - it's just annoying and kind of disrespectful. JMO and I'm not a moderator, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Oh no, they’re still a PITA. Converting them, placing them, everything about them. To VASLize one overlay I have to render it three times, then rotate a copy of each, then tweak each one of the six to make them align with the VASL hex grid…which btw, is not square nor uniform throughout a geoboard. I hate overlays. But I’m not bitter 😃
Perhaps easier for others due to the efforts of those in the trenches who do the work, such as yourself. Thanks to you all for your contributions to the game. 🤗

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
What does this have to do with overlays? Not that an interview with Pete isn't interesting in it's own right, but why would you conduct it in the middle of somebody else's thread. Surely it deserves it's own thread, no?

The hijacking is really not amusing or comical - it's just annoying and kind of disrespectful. JMO and I'm not a moderator, so take it with a grain of salt.
Quite right, should have been continued in the designers thread. I will be more careful in the future.