Which nationality has the most authentic " flavor "

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
But were the Finns really all that (and a bag of chips)? Or was it that just the Russians were that bad initially. I'm not sure I buy into the "even conscripts can self-rally" narrative.
Finland's a very 'Martial' country. I couldn't say whether it were so before and during WW2 but these days every civilian is conscripted into the armed forces for a period, and following that they have to keep their military training up to date even after leaving.

I think when you consider the numbers of them...versus the numbers of Russians, then it probably makes sense that they could all self-rally...

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably the Japanese. They have so many different traits than other nationalities that might get a tweak or two. Banzai, THH, step reduction, morale w/leaders, crewed MGs, concealment, stealth, HIP, HtH CC. It feels like a different game when I play the Japanese sometimes, and causes you to play the game differently when you take the IJA side.

Desicat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But were the Finns really all that (and a bag of chips)? Or was it that just the Russians were that bad initially. I'm not sure I buy into the "even conscripts can self-rally" narrative.
25.7 FINNISH: Finnish Personnel [EXC: Conscript squads/HS (4-3-7/2-2-7)] may attempt Self-Rally during any RPh,......

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought the US was very tasty in SL. Lol they changed the recipe but still very flavorful.
I'll add my vote for the Japanese.

I think they, and PTO, are the greatest ever innovations in the system.
Ironically, I think the tactics in PTO (and thus the scenarios) are very similar to Red Barricades.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
But the Finnish 437 conscript introduced in HP! cannot self rally. Also now you can use a 447/437 Finnish OB against a Russian elite 628/458 OB and have the Finns really suck.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Russians really were that bad, especially on the strategic level. Finnish conscripts do not self rally and the über Finn squads do not go down to conscripts.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Oh I get it now - I first thought the OP was asking how the different nationality counters tasted when you ate them :unsure:
LMFAO The view that I would expect from a goat! No offense meant. Friend had a goat that would eat the siding on his house. One tough critter.

Actually the Japanese do taste like Cherry Blossoms and the black SS like Smith Brothers licorice cough drops.😋

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I stand corrected, Finn conscripts do not self rally but all others do, which was the point I was trying to convey. Lot's of countries feature conscripted armies that are supposed to maintain their training after their term of service expires. Doesn't make them all super men. "Balancing" opponents in a scenario seems to be more the job of the scenario designer rather than baking such traits into the individual nationalities. From what little I've read, the Finns weren't particularly enthusiastic about evicting the Germans. Should they lose their self rally capabilities in those scenarios?