• Poll closed .

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This question came up early on in our quest to determine, very scientifically, the best official module. Martin and I couldn't decide and as you'll see, we need your help!

Consider the question, if you could only have one of these selections, which one would you go for first, or recommend, or play forever on a desert island, or just that you think is better - I don't know... but just pick one!

Feel free to explain your choice and tell (one of us!) why we're wrong!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KGP. Doomed Battalions and KGP is like comparing apples to oranges really. However, if you are talking about which one provides more entertainment value, then KGP hands down. Core Modules play an important role, because they introduce nationalities and core OB's, but the entertainment value is often not matched by what a HASL can offer. KGP is sufficiently entertaining in my opinion, that it blows DB away in the enjoyable scenarios department. The other categories aren't really comparable. One is a historical study with 3 CG's. The other a core module with the Allied Minor OB in it. KGP does not have a complete OB for a nationality or nationalities as that is not what it is designed to do. DB does not have any CG's or do a historical study on any one battle or series of battles. That is not what it is designed to do.

Who was hotter back in the day? Adrienne Barbeau or Twiggy? Two completely different looks. Apples to oranges. Or in this case, melons to ping pong balls :).

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
KGP. Doomed Battalions and KGP is like comparing apples to oranges really. However, if you are talking about which one provides more entertainment value, then KGP hands down. Core Modules play an important role, because they introduce nationalities and core OB's, but the entertainment value is often not matched by what a HASL can offer. KGP is sufficiently entertaining in my opinion, that it blows DB away in the enjoyable scenarios department. The other categories aren't really comparable. One is a historical study with 3 CG's. The other a core module with the Allied Minor OB in it. KGP does not have a complete OB for a nationality or nationalities as that is not what it is designed to do. DB does not have any CG's or do a historical study on any one battle or series of battles. That is not what it is designed to do.

Who's was hotter back in the day? Adrienne Barbeau or Twiggy? Two completely different looks. Apples to oranges. Or in this case, melons to ping pong balls :).
Very nice. While KGP was not our favorite you make an excellent case for it.

Twiggy hands down! Lol I call my cat Mika Twiggy because she is so skinny. And she thinks she is the badass and she is!

I think KGP came out at the time armor was really losing it's appeal for Fish. I like armor but am in Tuomo's camp, slopes. I struggled.

agoldin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Feel free to explain your choice and tell (one of us!) why we're wrong!
[/QUOTE]

KGP is my choice. It’s a very challenging CG with a lot of interesting decisions for both players. The game has good replayability and plenty of fun “toys” for both sides. The CG rules and weather are not for the faint of heart. Re-writing and simplifying the rules would be a worthy endeavor. In fact a friend and I played the first CG (Stoumont) at least twice before we really understood how it’s played. That said, it’s still a blast and we are having fun with it.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very nice. While KGP was not our favorite you make an excellent case for it.

Twiggy hands down! Lol I call my cat Mika Twiggy because she is so skinny. And she thinks she is the badass and she is!

I think KGP came out at the time armor was really losing it's appeal for Fish. I like armor but am in Tuomo's camp, slopes. I struggled.
"Twiggy hands down!" You walk in darkness my friend.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I don't know that the entertainment value gap is all that great. DB3 does have 24 scenarios, and I personally really like the early war stuff. I liked the Last Hurrah scenarios (some more than others), and DB3 added several other good ones. At least for me, there's some good entertainment value there.

KGP has far less # of scenarios, but it has the CGs. I guess it depends on how much you like the KGP situation. Does have a lot of cool stuff to buy in the CGs, although the bridge one is quite limited in what you can buy, but also quite fun.

For me it's pretty close to 50/50, but I ended up voting DB3.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

Who's was hotter back in the day? Adrienne Barbeau or Twiggy? Two completely different looks. Apples to oranges. Or in this case, melons to ping pong balls :).
Adrienne Barbeau - the only reason for a 15-year-old to watch Maude!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
However, if you are talking about which one provides more entertainment value, then KGP hands down.
<shrug> Only until you start playing it. Too many toys in too much mud and mist to really have fun with. The disappointment wuz palpable.

Go ahead, call me an old curmudgeon, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
<shrug> Only until you start playing it. Too many toys in too much mud and mist to really have fun with. The disappointment wuz palpable.

Go ahead, call me an old curmudgeon, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
You'd be an old curmudgeon no matter what 😉 and this old curmudgeon totally agrees with you.

I'd compare it to liver but the last time I did that the thread went off the rails 😉🤣🤣

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

We loved RB CG game. KGP didn't deliver in the playability and especially replayability like RB.

We were primarily gamers and KGP just didn't grab us as a game or CG. Those more interested in the historical aspect may have a different view of it.

Last edited:

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada

Very much agreed.
I love a good HASL, but just didn't get on with KGP's vibe at all.
And Panthers, I'll take 'em any day, but using Panthers in restrictive terrain or low visibility is like using vice grips in place of tweezers.

We loved RB CG game. KGP didn't deliver in the playability and especially replayability like RB.

We were primarily gamers and KGP just didn't grab us as a game or CG. Those more interested in the historical aspect may have a different view of it.
Yep, that sums it up.

Of course for someone who really loves CGs and the setting and time period KGP may very well be the better choice, but I'd surely give DB the nod if I had to make a choice (though I do have all of those products listed).

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Just one more example of the tyranny of the rulz keeping a guy from spreading his wings.....
As the game evolved did the rules become more tyrannical? Would you call that Tyranny and Mutation? 😉