ASLSK2/3 or just go full ASL?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Channeling my inner shadchan, seems like Jwil2020 and DVexile ought to connect.
You must be that wizard with the long bushy beard wise in the ways of the Tome, no? ;)

I haven't seen you around in this world with your pointed hat, grey robes, and the staff.
It should suit you anyway, though.

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Looking at what you write and reading your description about having already worked through SK1, my assessment is that you are better off with going for ASL instead of SK2 / SK3.

If you are intrigued by ASL, in any case I would not go beyond SK3. SK, originally devised as an intro for ASL has developed into an 'ASL Light' by now. Fine for those that are looking for exactly that, but going beyond SK3 is wasted time IMHO if your aim is ASL.

But as you have spent considerable time with SK1 already, are not disencouraged by complicated rules, cost for components/rules is not an issue AND you have found this forum (as an excellent resource for rules issues if used in conjunction with google search (site:gamesquad.com [your searchword]) AND you are open to VASL, I see ASL as the clear path before you.

VASL changed everything for me when I discovered it back in 2010. This forum, discovered at the same time, helped a lot as well with tricky rules issues, because if you post these, grognards and rules gurus will usually answer in short order.

The best advice I can give you:
Go for ASL, try VASL and find "real" opponents to play.

Especially playing "real" opponents (via VASL or face to face) will speed up your learning curve immensely and it is more fun than solitaire attempts, too.

I can assure you that, because from roughly 1995 til 2010, I was on the "teaching myself" path solitaire as well. With VASL, I suddenly had experienced opponents and mentors around the world. I never looked back.

von Marwitz
Excellent assessment and advice!

BravoCo

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We have! In the process of scheduling a FtF game.
Hey Ken,
I'll play you in ASLSK too, if you want. My goal is to get to ASL at some point, but I decided to go the ASLSK route to get there. I don't feel like I've wasted my time doing so either. There are some fun ASLSK scenarios. YMMV.
Jim

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Start with the SK series...

Let the counters inspire you to continue to get all of the SK stuff.

Then when the addiction gets stronger and you wish to be an ASL Real Estate Magnet, then go full ASL.

Always buy the core modules when available (in multiple quantities) and get the HASLs from the producers before they are all gone.

Red Factories is AMAZING.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Always buy the core modules when available (in multiple quantities)
Is this to get more copies of counters for a larger potential OoB? Are there scenarios that large?

Or is this getting them while in print so you can sell them later when OoP (either at a fair price for friends entering the game, or I suppose at a usurious price on E-bay to further fund one's ASL addiction)?

get the HASLs from the producers before they are all gone.
Just got Hatten In Flames as I was worried it was close to OoP (only available at MMP at the moment, doesn't seem to be in any gaming shops online).

Red Factories is AMAZING.
Yeah, this seems like one of those "must buy" things even if it proves to be an aspirational purchase that ends up protecting a shelf from dust.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even if you don't play the campaign games from the HASLs, there are plenty of scenarios to have fun with using the maps.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL OoBs for DYOs would need MORE counters.

The Red Factories CGs just might not have enough counters available in the counter mix for a CG.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
ASL is expensive enough. Screw buying multiple copies of everything. You'll be fine with one copy for 99.9% of anything official.

By the time you get a few HASL, you will have Germans, Americans, British, and Russians coming out your ears. And no, DYO does NOT require more counters, nor do you need to ever play DYO (the vast majority don't). Nor do you have to buy 3rd party products. My advice is to buy only official MMP products at first, starting with Beyond Valor and rulebook. The pocket bundle is a great way to start - has the Rulebook (including chapter E, F (desert) and G (PTO)), the Chapter H book (vehicle notes for every vehicle in the game, including special rules for each vehicle), and the Pocket charts. Take the rulebook and chapter H to Staples or a printer and get them spiral bound, so they lay flat. That should cost less than $20 for both books combined, and is WELL worth it.

After getting BV and the rules, get Yanks and For King and Country. That gives you the Americans, the British, and lots of maps and tons of scenarios.

Then you can branch out into PTO (Rising Sun), Desert (Hollow Legions), or if you like early war there's the French (Croix de Guerre, which includes the Dinant campaign game).

Pick up Action Packs/Winter Offensive Packs for extra maps and scenarios, and Journals for scenarios and some good articles, as you can/want to.

There's also SASL (solo ASL), which uses ASL rules plus a lot of it's own, along with random generation of maps, enemy units, and events, to create it's own unique experience.

Also DASL, which has the super-enlarged hexes, originally envisioned for use with micro-armor, but just cool in it's own right for a zoomed-in view of close-quarters battles.

And once you have all the official stuff you want, then you have the whole world of third-party products to explore.

Unless you are filthy rich - then go with Kevin's recommendations. :) As it is, you are going to spend a grand before you know it.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
If the situation arises where the household financial officer catches on to your expenditures: always, always, ALWAYS point out just how much other pastimes (golf, motorcycles, boats, old cars, etc.) can cost compared to what you spent on ASL.
Then add the fact that she'll know exactly where you are (ie: not out running the roads in unsafe motor transport, gambling, at the strip club, etc.).
The ratio of money spent to hours engaged is extremely good, so therefore a wise investment! ;)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
If the situation arises where the household financial officer catches on to your expenditures: always, always, ALWAYS point out just how much other pastimes (golf, motorcycles, boats, old cars, etc.) can cost compared to what you spent on ASL.
Then add the fact that she'll know exactly where you are (ie: not out running the roads in unsafe motor transport, gambling, at the strip club, etc.).
The ratio of money spent to hours engaged is extremely good, so therefore a wise investment! ;)
Wise words. Spoken from experience I presume?

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Wise words. Spoken from experience I presume?
Oh yeah!
I also have quite a bit of music gear which cost me far more than I've spent on games, and even that is less than others spend on their pastimes.
I also point out that if it's all stuff you keep and use regularly, the per day cost diminishes significantly.
It's all in how you look at it.