ABTF and other bridges revised module thread

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
So I've thought it'll be good idea to have this kind of thread open - here we can beg Michael Faulkner for news, pics and so forth regarding his titanic and admirable work.

So, Michael, when it'll hit the pre-order, cause I don't know whether or not to buy ABTF or wait!

Just kidding (with a dose of seriousness, of course) - could you though share us with some updates, what's currently going on etc.?

Last edited:

Zakopious

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He was play testing ABtF at Oktoberfest 2021.
The map was beautiful and appeared ready to be published.
That is not to say that Michael thinks that ABtF is ready to be released.
When ABtF is ready for release, it will probably be put up for pre-order and wait its turn in the MMP printing schedule.
Sounds like two years to me and could be much longer.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya, but the main selling point of ABtF were the black SS counters, without those in the total package, I think ABtF will probably struggle on pre order, another brit campaign game? yuck. Honestly, I wish people would not make the SS counters so political, its just anesthetics thats all.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would be surprised that the black SS were the main reason to purchase ABtF.
I didn't care about them and bought the module because I was interested in the situation - I loved the movie, too.
I don't believe that my case is an isolated one.
Note that you can find black SS by TPP, so anyone who craved to have them up to now could easily get them, without hoping of a ABtF reprint.
I don't think that the absence of the black counters would impact the numbers sold, as the blue equivalents would be included.

Last edited:

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would be surprised that the black SS were the main reason to purchase ABtF.
I didn't care about them and bought the module because I was interested in the situation - I loved the movie, too.
I don't believe that my case is an isolated one.
Note that you can find black SS by TPP, so anyone who craved to have them up to now could easily get them, without hoping of a ABtF reprint.
I don't think that the absence of the black counters would impact the numbers sold, as the blue equivalents would be included.
I do get the impression that on the current secondary market, that is a big reason that people buy ABTF, just from facebook chatter. And all respect to TPPs, there is a lot to be said for having all your counters of a uniform style, so for those who haven't switched to BGD counters for everything else, there's some big advantages to the ABTF counters (assuming you want the black in the first place, which I would not--it's better than two-toned counters, but not by much...).

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The back SS counters are a novelty and was included as a swipe to Eddie Zeman who originally includded SS counters in two SS packs. But without the SS counters, I do not expect ABtF to hit its P# super quickly, the campaign and scenarios were super boring.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I second Robin - it really makes no difference for me if Waffen SS have black counters or the SS runes. I'm interested in the battle and I don't think that in the 2022 someone would really decide whether or not to invest in a game depending on the color of one of the unit types presented. Maybe in the 90's, but most things that were cool in the 90's are meh by now.

Especially when we talk about one of the most expensive and rules-heavy niche games out there (which ASL is) - majority of people were/are interested in the OOB, historical maps and scenarios.

I don't think it's political, I think it just looks a bit of over the top these days. Again, YMMV.

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
So I've thought it'll be good idea to have this kind of thread open - here we can beg Michael Faulkner for news, pics and so forth regarding his titanic and admirable work.

So, Michael, when it'll hit the pre-order, cause I don't know whether or not to buy ABtF or wait!

Just kidding (with a dose of seriousness, of course) - could you though share us with some updates, what's currently going on etc.?
Well, where to begin...

First, ABtF 2nd Edition is only one part of the historical module (right now it is called Four Bridges). It will also include Pegasus Bridge 2nd Edition, Primosole Bridge 2nd Edition, and Ponte Grande Bridge (New). It will include all pieces and parts needed to play the game. Black SS counters will not be in the module. All maps are being redone by Tom Repetti.

1) ABtF 2nd Ed.: Map is done. Some changes to the map that included more accuracy in a couple of the buildings. Also the inclusion of Attics as an additional location in some hexes. OBs have been modified to reflect more/better information that is now available. Use of a FCT (Fire Control Team) for the British OBA. lastly, there are some new scenarios to go along with all of the updated original scenarios.

2) Ponte Grande Bridge is a Italians vs British. There are five scenarios and a mini campaign linking them. The map also includes a Temple of Zeus. map is done and playtesting is well on its way.

3) Pegasus Bridge: Map is in production. We might see the introduction of naval patrol boats.

4) Primosole Bridge: in pre-production. There will additional scenarios.

5) Maybe something else...

Although we are moving along well, the project will not be done for a while (years). On that note...Any one want to playtest, drop me a line.

Michael

Last edited:

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Michael,
I had asked about KG Graebner SPG platoon which included a Jadgpanther in it, asked about this a year ago.

Will that be an OB change for the SS???

Thanks,
Mark

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Michael,
I had asked about KG Graebner SPG platoon which included a Jadgpanther in it, asked about this a year ago.

Thanks,
Mark
I will get back to you on that. I am not at home right now. I know there will be a Humber IV AC in German colors…😀

M Faulkner

Disgruntled Democrat
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llUnited States
Michael,

Thanks,
Mark
And no King Tigers…

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
5) Maybe something else...

Really??

I've been helping Michael with playtesting. Additional scenarios for ABtF, changes to existing scenarios. Things look really good so far and I'm enjoying the process.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
I see ABTF at eBay for 650 EUR. To buy, or to wait* - that is the question...

*how many years...!

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Honestly, I wish people would not make the SS counters so political, its just anesthetics thats all.
Turned out it wasn't just anesthetics they were using, which is why it is so "political".

As to the aesthetics, I can't see why I'd want additionally colored chrome that would of course be a hassle for concealed stacks with mixed squads and SW. Personally I'm happy to hear MMP is abandoning the black counters from the past.

But anyway, I'm sure that's an overdone topic and really I just couldn't resist making a snarky comment over a typo ;) No hard feelings I hope!

Although we are moving along well, the project will not be done for a while (years). On that note...Any one want to playtest, drop me a line.
Michael
I missed this thread when originally posted, so a belated thanks to Michael for the inside scoop. That sounds like quite the undertaking!