Prokhorovka Errata

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Gentlemen;

Getting ready to play PRK6 and have come across a couple of things that my opponent and I believe need correction/clarification:

1. First footnote to CG11 Air Support calls for a possible Air Leader and refers the player to PRK30. That should actually read PRK 31.

2. SSR 2a states the Russian must set up Revetments 'with CA centered on west or southwest hexspine.' However, looking at the compass rose on the scenario card, only the SW direction is oriented towards a hexSPINE while the west direction is towards a hexSIDE. The Revetment rule 2.17.1 furthermore states that a Revetment must be pointed to a hexspine. We believe the SSR should be amended to accurately allow for 2.17.1.

Wynn Polnicky and Burnie Hegdahl

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My compass rose shows both W and SW as hex spines.

I'm setting up for my second playing. From my first play I can say that those revetments should not come into play.

Better editing would have done away with that SSR. But the sight of broken leaderless hordes of Russians clustered around burning AFVs seems weirdly apt.

Last edited:

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My compass rose shows both W and SW as hex spines.

I'm setting up for my second playing. From my first play I can say that those revetments should not come into play.

Better editing would have done away with that SSR.
I agree that adding the Revetments was probably unnecessary chrome, though Burnie and I have yet to start playing this one. Any sensible Russian will place them so as not to be useful to the SS. Having said that, it might have been included to add some level of historical authenticity, but if so surely their positions would have been predetermined.

As for the compass rose, geometry says it is not possible for a cardinal direction - N, S, E or W - to be on a hexspine and a semi-cardinal direction (NW, NE, SW or SE) to also be on a hexspine. It might help to place a direction counter oriented "normally" with N facing 'up' on any mapboard. North and South face a hexSIDE in that case, while West and East face a hexSPINE - to see that try turning the compass rose in VASL! If a cardinal direction were oriented to a hexSPINE instead, then the semi-cardinals would be oriented to a hexSIDE. This is because a hexagon has 6 sides and 6 hexspines, whereas there are a total of 8 cardinal and semi-cardinal directions.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance

Science smience, just turn the head.

I do wish battlefields could conform to North is up South is down.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly

2. If RED line is the North you would agree that the GREEN line along that hexspine is West, for the SouthWest direction we meant the BLUE line even if it is more a SSW, but the true SW is not represented as a (alternate) hexgrain, so neither as a hexside or as a hexspine, and after all the BLUE line hexspine is the only hexspine usable that is South and also West. We could publish an errata and define it as South-south-west hexspine, we will think about it.

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
1. First footnote to CG11 Air Support calls for a possible Air Leader and refers the player to PRK30. That should actually read PRK 31.
This has escaped our powerful proofreads and will go in the erratas, thanks! :)

aslwynn

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
View attachment 21109

2. If RED line is the North you would agree that the GREEN line along that hexspine is West, for the SouthWest direction we meant the BLUE line even if it is more a SSW, but the true SW is not represented as a (alternate) hexgrain, so neither as a hexside or as a hexspine, and after all the BLUE line hexspine is the only hexspine usable that is South and also West. We could publish an errata and define it as South-south-west hexspine, we will think about it.
Yes. This just created a lot of unnecessary headscratching for us. :)

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
During our development of the new module "Zámoly" we decided to change in part the Revetments rule, without this affecting the balancing of scenarios/CG of Prokhorovka!. The new chapter 2.17.3 of the rules of Prokhorovka! is therefore as follows:

2.17.3 An AFV (and a wreck or vehicle when applicable) while in a Revetment a) is considered Hull Down to Direct Fire from all directions [EXC: vs Aerial AF], but it may fire bow-mounted weapons [EXC: not to a target two or more levels below], b) has its Target Size increased by one (i.e. a Very Large -2 Target Size becomes a Large -1 Target Size, a Normal 0 Target Size becomes a Small +1 Target Size, etc.) [EXC: if the AFV actually has a +2 Target Size], c) does not create a Hindrance, d) if it is Mobile is considered instead Immobile only for CC purposes and e) Immobilization TC are never required [EXC to all: while the AFV is entering the Revetment, before the last Stop MP/becoming Immobile]. As an AFV exits a Revetment, it is vulnerable to Underbelly Hits as per D4.3. No more than one vehicle/wreck may occupy a Revetment.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
During our development of the new module "Zámoly" we decided to change in part the Revetments rule, without this affecting the balancing of scenarios/CG of Prokhorovka!. The new chapter 2.17.3 of the rules of Prokhorovka! is therefore as follows:

2.17.3 An AFV (and a wreck or vehicle when applicable) while in a Revetment a) is considered Hull Down to Direct Fire from all directions [EXC: vs Aerial AF], but it may fire bow-mounted weapons [EXC: not to a target two or more levels below], b) has its Target Size increased by one (i.e. a Very Large -2 Target Size becomes a Large -1 Target Size, a Normal 0 Target Size becomes a Small +1 Target Size, etc.) [EXC: if the AFV actually has a +2 Target Size], c) does not create a Hindrance, d) if it is Mobile is considered instead Immobile only for CC purposes and e) Immobilization TC are never required [EXC to all: while the AFV is entering the Revetment, before the last Stop MP/becoming Immobile]. As an AFV exits a Revetment, it is vulnerable to Underbelly Hits as per D4.3. No more than one vehicle/wreck may occupy a Revetment.
Surely has its target size decreased by 1?

sebosebi

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Surely has its target size decreased by 1?
Target Size (capitalized) appears to be a numeric value in ASL, the bigger it is, the smaller the target size is. Look the use in D9.54. It refears to Target Size (DRM).