Books: What are you currently reading?

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You may want to check out the first book in his American Revolution trilogy also.
Yes, highly recommended. Perhaps the most informative history book which I read all of last year. I'll never view New York the same way again.

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just started Atkinson's second book in his WWII trilogy: The Day of Battle. The Allies have just landed in Scicily. SK2 and SKEP1 both have two Sicilian scenarios. The two in SKEP1 can be combined to make one big two-part scenario. Reading Atkinson has inspired me to break them out. EDIT: SK2 has 1 Sicilian, and SK3 has another, plus the 2 in SKEP1 make four. All of them are worth a replay IMHO. :)

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Blink by Malcom Gladwell. This book had been mentioned in a thread some months ago. Jazz recommended it and I reserved it from the library but was never contacted that it was available. I pretty much forgot about it.

Jazz asked me earlier in the week what I thought about it. The library had it this time and I started reading it yesterday at lunch break. I literally couldn't quit reading and pounded out about fifty pages before I had to go back to work. Fascinating book!

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Hitler Strikes North: the Nazi invasion of Norway and Denmark by Jack Greene and Alessandro Massignani

I know I have read some things about these battles before, but this is my first book that focusses on them. I am surprised how much Norway suffered from waffling at the top of their government.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Blink by Malcom Gladwell. This book had been mentioned in a thread some months ago. Jazz recommended it and I reserved it from the library but was never contacted that it was available. I pretty much forgot about it.

Jazz asked me earlier in the week what I thought about it. The library had it this time and I started reading it yesterday at lunch break. I literally couldn't quit reading and pounded out about fifty pages before I had to go back to work. Fascinating book!
The thread was " For that glacially slow ASL player in your life. " I still don't know how to provide a link to another thread. 🙄

Last edited:

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"The Power Worshippers: Inside the Dangerous Rise of Religious Nationalism" by Katherine Stewart. Her books always make me mad at the people who try to use popular mythology to manipulate voters into giving them political power. They may not even be theists, but just using religion to gain power and control people.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
The thread was " For that glacially slow ASL player in your life. " I still don't know how to provide a link to another thread. 🙄
Go to the thread itself and copy the URL from your browser and paste it into the text of your message. The Forum recognizes a URL and presents it appropriately in your message.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thanks! The OMSIP really appreciates it.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is worth bookmarking:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
"What it is like to go to war" by Karl Marlantes. I've read a lot of "I was there and this is what happened" military history books. They often touch on the killing and dying aspect, but usually only briefly. This book focusses on the impact of killing on the soldiers doing the killing. I wanted to read an examination of this topic. The author was an infantry platoon commander in Viet Nam.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
"What it is like to go to war" by Karl Marlantes. I've read a lot of "I was there and this is what happened" military history books. They often touch on the killing and dying aspect, but usually only briefly. This book focusses on the impact of killing on the soldiers doing the killing. I wanted to read an examination of this topic. The author was an infantry platoon commander in Viet Nam.
An interesting topic. I've wondered that myself.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Another book on that topic.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
"Vietnam: An Epic History of a Tragic War" by Max Hastings (Audiobook)
This is my second time round with it. Planning to get a hardcopy this week also.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This is my second time round with it. Planning to get a hardcopy this week also.
That is one of about thirty un-read books that I own; just waiting for me to get around to it.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've read some of his WWII books and found them enjoyable.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Go to the thread itself and copy the URL from your browser and paste it into the text of your message. The Forum recognizes a URL and presents it appropriately in your message.

That assumes the OMOOT knows what a URL is.🙄🙄🙄

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Just finished reading the part about Van Riper as the Red commander. Brilliant!!

He seems like the type of leader you would want to follow in a combat situation. Marine Generals and Wall Street Traders as soul mates. Who would have thought.