Bishop Pointers - A Series of Short Articles on Variety of ASL Topics

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep.

(Not that I'd manage to do so all the time...)

There is this best ASL article of ALL TIME called "The Geometry of ASL" by David Hailey describing the procedure and more in here:

http://texas-asl.com/banzai/banzai5_2.pdf

von Marwitz
I thought of an analogy. If you were learning guitar would you say to yourself “Use all the fingers but the pinky, we’ll learn that later.” ? Better to immediately start using that pinky (thanks Matt). Build up those neural pathways and let the brain create simplified sub-routines when you sleep.
One last suggestion: next few times you string a LOS observe the middle hexside and where the string crosses, there you got it.
I going to set this LOS midpoint thing down for awhile. I’ve said my piece and cant make it any plainer, hoping to get this idea across to at least one person.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought of an analogy. If you were learning guitar would you say to yourself “Use all the fingers but the pinky, we’ll learn that later.” ? Better to immediately start using that pinky (thanks Matt). Build up those neural pathways and let the brain create simplified sub-routines when you sleep.
One last suggestion: next few times you string a LOS observe the middle hexside and where the string crosses, there you got it.
I going to set this LOS midpoint thing down for awhile. I’ve said my piece and cant make it any plainer, hoping to get this idea across to at least one person.
You got one...brilliant! Going for two?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I noticed this while playing SL, stumbled across it one day and have been refining it ever since.
My feeling is this technique is extremely useful for playing ASL. Without it a player is about 15% blind, so to speak. It is probably the easiest and most important thing I would urge somebody whom wants to get better at ASL to learn.
Read the article but learn it your own way. Take the two LOS hexes and count back toward each other a equal number of hexes, ‘slide’ toward the center and notice the hexside in the middle. Basically count two equivalent patterns of hexes from the two LOS hexes toward the middle.
Ignore at your own peril.
You might feel like I did when it all dawned on me and thought “Why didn’t I notice this years ago ?”
I learned the technique you spoke of from my grandad who was a cabinet maker. It was easy to apply the basic geometry he used everyday to a hex grid. David Hailey let folks glimpse the math behind it, but quite a few folks ignored it. Now that you've shown how easy it is to apply to every LOS everyone is gonna be eagle-eyed experts.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I learned the technique you spoke of from my grandad who was a cabinet maker. It was easy to apply the basic geometry he used everyday to a hex grid. David Hailey let folks glimpse the math behind it, but quite a few folks ignored it. Now that you've shown how easy it is to apply to every LOS everyone is gonna be eagle-eyed experts.
Few will listen and some will never see it.
I think my carpentry skills helped first visualize the phenomenon.
It does convey a distinct advantage so yeah, maybe keep it on the low down.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fewer still will realize the implications of a quick 90-100% accuracy of most any given LOS with no string.
It should be in the rulebook, lol.