OMSIP Enters 21st Century

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I spent an inordinate amount of time New Years Eve watching Civilization 3 PTW crash on me and then the computer deciding to be disputaious as well. Apparently the clay tablet in the hard drive is showing it's age. 1999 was a while ago.

Anyway I went to Amazon and bought a refurbished computer for $127.00. I always said I was a cheap date.

Regardless it has Windows 10, Windows XP is what I have now, and a DVD drive so hopefully that will meet my limited gaming needs for the rest of this century.

The OMSIP, boldy going where no OMOOT has gone before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I still have my refurbished Dell Windows XP - I have to keep it as some of the older games I have will only work with XP.

I have been a slow convert to Windows 7 and that seems to be behaving itself and is comfortable with JTS games and most stuff -. I have a Windows 10 tower unit but am too lazy to navigate it when I can easily whizz around with the Windows 7.

My experience of refurbished models has been pretty good....my view is - If it works .....keep it........regardless of operating system. If I can keep the Windows 7 going for the next decade - I will be a happy bunny.........I like it so much - I might get a second one - just in case...no blue screens of death as yet.

Good Luck with your new bundle of joy !..........

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I still have my refurbished Dell Windows XP - I have to keep it as some of the older games I have will only work with XP.

I have been a slow convert to Windows 7 and that seems to be behaving itself and is comfortable with JTS games and most stuff -. I have a Windows 10 tower unit but am too lazy to navigate it when I can easily whizz around with the Windows 7.

My experience of refurbished models has been pretty good....my view is - If it works .....keep it........regardless of operating system. If I can keep the Windows 7 going for the next decade - I will be a happy bunny.........I like it so much - I might get a second one - just in case...no blue screens of death as yet.

Good Luck with your new bundle of joy !..........
Thanks! I plan on keeping Old Gertrude as she has the drive for three and a half inch floppy discs and I have a ton of photos on them.

Good luck with yours!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The computer arrived Wednesday evening and when I unpacked it the first thing I saw was it said internet was required to activate Windows 10. I haven't had a computer hooked up to the internet for years but decided to plug it in and see if it worked. It did and had an option if you didn't have internet which I selected.

After it did it's initial stuff I decided to install Civilization 4, which it did. However when I went to play this message popped up saying that I needed administrator privileges or some such to continue. I fargged around with it for awhile then said Ci Arrendiamo, unplugged it all and had a long conversation with Brigadier Bacardi.

I was planning on more attempts Thursday but life intervened. I was going to install Civilization 3 and Civilization 3 PTW to see if I needed privileges for that. Seemed like a logical step but work kicked my butt Thursday and again today so hard that it put a crack in it!

Sigh. The cold really takes it out of you. Walking an eleven acre property to fix a bunch of furnaces and hearing people running their air conditioners when it's twenty degrees Farenheit doesn't do much for the morale either. College students. The future of the world in the hands of a bunch of 6+1s. And that's the best of them.

Colonel Cuervo says I am starting to ramble on. Anyway I ordered a wifi USB device and will make further attempts tomorrow, maybe. I have to be in at 7:30 am to take delivery of more HVAC units then walk the property with the regional manager looking for external problems with the buildings.

The Colonel says I am rambling again. Further updates may follow. I'm getting some more tequila.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The OMSIP is online with Old Gertrude's replacement! Who knows where this will lead!!