So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently got HiF8 Fahrenheit 352 to the VASL table with Jack Boyle. It had been on my playlist for a while. The dr gave me the attacking Americans to storm downtown Hatten. VC requires the American to have a GO MMC in both K16/L19.

The German defense was arrayed lengthwise (blue line) on the main street with a chunk of defenders on the American left flank. The Americans took the most direct route and pushed to the two VC buildings. There is a real risk of the attackers getting shot up crossing the plowed fields. So, I created as much smoke as I could create which helped greatly. Even then, some nice German shooting broke several squads on turn 1, but they were able to rally quickly and rejoin the fight. Careful maneuver got me into the K16 VC building in turn 2 winning a CC to clear the building.

The L19 building was entered on turn 3 by a 9-1, 667, DC but was broken with extreme prejudice by two 467s/LMG. Once these shot their wad final firing, I rolled up five Shermans to exact revenge with 8+3s hoping to break them and cause FTR. No such luck. However, a few other squads with Lt. Norris (9-2) joined the fray K/4ed and broke them in AF on a 16+2. A couple hot SANs wounded a nearby 9-1 on random selection, and the follow up SAN dr broke his accompanying 247, MMG. Then yet another hot sniper on a 467 in the L19 building. A 666 advanced in to the lone 467 hex and melee ensued.

German GO personnel were dwindled. A wounded 9-1, 2 x 467, 247 and something concealed remained. The odds were the broken units wouldn’t rally – and a good chance they could be FTRed in the American turn 4. Despite the impending German reinforcements, with the number of American squads and all six tanks the defenders would be hard pressed to clear either building of Americans. At this point Jack called off the attack.

End game

We debriefed on the scenario afterward. Germans have solid defensive cover, but the weight of a concentrated American attack will be tough to withstand. Thus, keeping the main German defense around the VC buildings is key rotating concealed units forward and broken units to safety for rallying. In retrospect, Jack felt he had a few too many troops on his right flank. I concurred. These units could have been shooting on turn 1 rather than having to shift to the center. Containing American MMCs to lower TEM terrain and getting some breaks could delay them enough for their reinforcements to get to the fight.

Americans must get a decent amount of smoke and will allow them to take the most direct route. The Sherman’s Sm8 is one of the most critical assets in the game. I sustained several breaks on the first turn, but many were back in the fight by turn 2. Being thoughtful on leader placement for rally duty paid off. Losing a stack of troops for FTR could swing this scenario quickly. All in all, another great Hatten scenario. Many thanks to Jack for an enjoyable game.

Last edited:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn't anyone think to play "Ghosts in the Rubble" for Halloween?

owenedwards

Reaction score
Country
ll
I've managed a couple games in the last week - a Solitaire 105 Going to Church to learn Guns, which was fun and fairly simple. German win due to the 3-level building, however! Not terribly unbalanced though. Then FTF vs Wayne B U17 Resistance at Chabrehez, with me as the hidden Belgians. Very good fun, with Wayne winning technically on the last die roll, as my 9-1+4-6-7+MMG had held out in CC till then with potential LOS on the victory road. Almost finished a Solitaire T1 Gavin Take, too.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob did come by Wed night and we sat down too play DB158 A Stalinesque Christmas with Bob as the Russians. The game was over by turn 3 as Bob fainted an attack on the outpost to my lift and threw everything at building K17 and with Andy's harsh micro managing set up retrictions, it was tough to hold off the Russian attack. The Russians had an HMG/MMG combo in hex M22 which made getting to building K17 nigh impossible. Once K17 is taken, the russians win automatically. Ya I hade reinforcements comeing on, but it would not help very much.

I get the feeling that these stalingrad scenarios are sent out but are barely playtested if they are at all. All of them I have played thus far have been heavily pro russian. Cant do much when your defense is being dictated by the designer more or less.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bob did come by Wed night and we sat down too play DB158 A Stalinesque Christmas with Bob as the Russians. The game was over by turn 3 as Bob fainted an attack on the outpost to my lift and threw everything at building K17 and with Andy's harsh micro managing set up retrictions, it was tough to hold off the Russian attack. The Russians had an HMG/MMG combo in hex M22 which made getting to building K17 nigh impossible. Once K17 is taken, the russians win automatically. Ya I hade reinforcements comeing on, but it would not help very much.

I get the feeling that these stalingrad scenarios are sent out but are barely playtested if they are at all. All of them I have played thus far have been heavily pro russian. Cant do much when your defense is being dictated by the designer more or less.
Funny. I played this one and found it right on the screws balance wise.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Two games completed this weekend.

FT266 A Fine Mess ... Paddington Bearz - November meeting, peculiar scenario given the victory conditions, still not sure what to make of it. Lumped most of the German infantry and the ATGs in the woods on the tight of the Level 1 hill. Seemed the safest way as any sort of forward defence risked isolation and destruction in detail, handing the French easy victory points. The Somua's were almost impossible to deal with as expected. I was incredibly lucky and managed to shock one with ATG, which was then KO'ed on the subsequent Shock resolution rolls. The other ATG and the light mortar each managed to immobilise a tank . Unfortunately in positions which still allowed them to play a major part in the battle, particularly in preventing my tanks to get into his backfield.

What to do with the German tanks was the most frustrating part of this puzzle. I finally decided to drive two onto board 14 to distract his remaining mobile armour and the third went up the right to help defend the two victory buildings at the foot of the hill. This worked too well as I figured having broken up the French AFV platoons the remaining two mobile tanks would have to fail a non-platoon movement task check at some stage, Well they didn't and they eventually managed to hunt down and kill one 38t.
Final result was the German fell short by one point, taking three buildings , capturing 1 halfsquad and destroying 2 tanks (the second falling to a pointblank LMG shot through the front (snakes required). Very lucky to get away this in retrospect as at one stage I had a malfunctioned ATG which I rolled to repair several times(eventually successfully) but disabling it would have given him the seventh point he needed for victory!

As an aside this was by first Face to Face game since June, following Sydney's latest COVID lockdown, It was great to get back to Paddo RSL, roll some real dice, fumble around in counter trays, knock back a couple of pale ales and see some familiar (and new) faces.

SP80 Die Gurkha Die! Played on VASL. In defiance of conventional wisdom I launched the main board 38 attack up the left flank with only a subsidiary effort on the right (where I expected to find the Bofors). I used the second line squads to try to clear the huts on board 38. My attack miscarried from the start. I didn't find the AA gun where I anticipated so I had to be more cautious moving the troops on the left meaning I didn't get them to the positions I anticipated, putting me behind schedule. The HMG also turned up on this flank so I'd completely misread my opponents setup. But the disaster was back on board 38 where the second liners proved no match for the Gurkhas garrisoning those huts. The lucky survivors were sent reeling back and to add insult to injury the defenders launched a mini counterattack and captured the one hut hex that I'd controlled at the start of the game, I never overcame these troops, when I did manage to get a result it led to fanatic halfsquads backed up by heroes. My right hand force stubbornly pushed forward to try to hold the defenders on that flank in place and paid the price, incurring about 75% casualties for no effective gain in territory. The left hand assault did manage to get into position to link up with the reinforcements to launch a semi coordinated attack in turn 4 but the subsequent banzai charges into the face of relatively intact defence met a predictable end (a quick check of the casualty bin at about this time had Japanese CVP at 20 plus and the allied force on 4) and I conceded.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not exactly a scenario I guess, but Randy Shurtz and I are playing the Operation Turnscrew CG from Dispatches. So far it has been pretty fun. My Brits got pretty hammered by mines and snipers on day 1. There were a few leaders going down and lots of HSs with very little German casualties. Randy gave ground until he reached the 4 hex building left of the market. That was fortified as a fanatic strongpoint and the approach was mined, so I realized that wasn't falling on day 1. IN the top and middle, pretty good ground was made, nearly to the main bisecting road. Notably, the 10-2 was useless and wounded by a sniper early on. Randy got all 10 points possible for day 1. 10-2 rolled a 1 and came back unwounded! CVP: B-21, G-5.
Day 2 I planned a massive assault on the strongpoint and, while it took into turn 6, I managed to clear it, this time with fairly good luck on taking out the defenders. The 10-2 set up with MMGs to try to wreak havoc but only managed to draw tons of fire, get wounded and see every HS with him break or die in turn 1. Once again, he did nothing. But once again he rolled a 1 to come back unwounded! We traded Crits with a roof top 81* MTR taking out a Sherman then another Sherman hitting the gun directly with Area Fire. I planned on a lot of OBA to soften up the strongpoint, but two red chits ensure I will use that module later. Although this is a huge scenario, it is actually surprisingly quiet across much of the map, after I clear a few hexes up top with all the fighting around the Marketplace. As it is the second day choosing the attack, CX is a risk for the Brits every turn. It happens only a couple times, but we realize that it isn't so impactful as the SSR first read. It mainly impacts Prep fire and prevents a lot of quick moving, but this is largely impossible anyway. In the end, I push him out of the left side of the Market. Day three await. CVP: B-18, G-31. Randy gets 10 more points as CVP make up the one lost for getting pushed back. He is at the halfway point to victory after 2 of 5 days. But casualties were heavy, so there is still hope for a British breakthrough. Next up, night or idle....? Hmm.

Last edited:

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
T6 Dead of Winter

Totally misinterpreted the VC (my mind is going), thought the Russians had to exit 20 VP on the west edge but the exit zone was shifted more to the south via hexes 4AA1 to 4GG4. Realized my error by when I saw the Russian squads bunching up on the south edge "moving too slow."

On the last turn I repaired my Mk.IVE's main gun. The commissar and 5-2-7 were the last Russians headed towards 4AA1 and the dug-in German tank was the only thing that could prevent their exit. Coax MG caused an NMC but both Russian units passed. The MA barely hit them and caused another NMC; the commissar passed it but the 5-2-7 broke (I couldn't bear to look at the roll; it was such an up and down tense game with immobilized tanks and extreme winter malfunctioned equipment all over the place).

Russians exited 18 VPs but were short of the 20 they needed. Sometimes you get really really lucky!

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played S47 Not So Disposed. With my opponent, we decided to give this scenario another chance, taking into account the huge update in the second edition (-2 Italian Squad, higher CVP cap for the Americans, -1 LMG, -1 fortified hex). The Americans faced a good spread Italian defense and decided to enter in force in the center with a flanking group to the West. The Americans using smoke and WP from the mortar progressed in the center and the flanking group finally eliminated the Italian defense on the left. However, playing cat and mouse and skulking, the Italians evaded most of the firepower of the Americans and still held 5 multihex buildings after turn 4. The Rangers launched the final assault wave, eliminating a lot of Italian units through failure to rout and freed 2 other multihex buildings. The last three remained out of reach with the Americans unable to force back the Italians in a fortified building and the 10-3 leader and 2 US squads being killed in a desperate move to reach them. Only 3 Italian squad, a crew and 2 leaders remained good order at the end (12 CVP losses for the Americans and 25 CVP loss for the Italians).
Despite the major changes in this 2nd edition, the scenario still greatly favors the Italians who outnumber the Americans and have great firepower with 2 Art guns, 2 mortars, 1 HMG, 2 MMG and 5 LMG. A good Italian player should systematically win this one, through evasion but that should not provide a lot of fun.

Initial Setup

Final game

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
RPT171 - Pentecost Sunday Meeting. Played over two face to face Friday night sessions. Screwed this one up in the first session when I squandered about a thirds of my infantry on a fool's errand assault against the French defenders of the stone buildings on the right. My main assault came down the left. First blood in the armour battle also went to the French when AMD with the armour leader took out the Pz2A. The first session ended with a glimmer of hope as I managed to knock out one armoured car. Meanwhile my infantry was dispersed, both 8-0s were dead and would face a hard time exiting facing the unscathed French infantry.

I tried to be creative/aggressive with my armour in the second session, the plan being to overrun his CE armoured cars with the Panzer 1s, which would remain in their hex and allow the Pz2s to close in and shoot up the French vehicles point blank. Net result was two Pz1 blazing wrecks and and a Pz 2 stunned by an LMG shot, (my opponents low To Kill rolls were a feature of this session), The stunned Pz2 died in the next French Prep fire phase. Coming into turn 4 I had a mathematical chance of winning and the last surviving Pz2 did manage to immobilise one AC (which also malf'ed its MA) but this left it exposed to the AL led AMD. The panzer survived defensive fire but was hit and killed as it tried to move in turn 5, so at that point I conceded.

Looks like a good scenario, a more focused attack during the first session would have put me in a much better position. The sting of defeat was somewhat mollified by the excellent chicken vindaloo my opponent provided for dinner.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played two Inor scenarios last weekend.

Inor 7 Sauerei Wald: the largest scenario in the pack. Played this as the attacking Germans.

All Infantry, with some OBA and guns. The Germans must either wipe out the Algerian Tirailleurs from the Soiry Farm and Soiry woods, or "encircle" them by controlling most of a path that circles the woods to the east. The French have a solid defense in the farm and woods, with some relief forces to the south; the Germans have three setup areas, to the north, west and south (with some elite force that can choose its setup areas), all with some open ground (or grain) to cover before they get there. About 22 French squads (plus Wire, mines, a small OBA module, and 2 guns); 32 German squads (with better SWs and leaders), 3 guns, a pre-game Bombardment and a small OBA module.

The French player chose to defend the woods to the south in force, not really trying to move his relief forces north through the woods to the east. This made the southern German force difficult to use: pushing through the woods would hit fortifications (wire and mines), but trying to go through the open ground and attack the farm would be very difficult.

So, I decided I'd attack mostly from the north, and positioned most of the last German group where they could follow the edge of the woods while moving south toward the path - with the idea that they could then either follow the path, or move west through the Soiry woods.

As it turned out, the French defense had a hard time from the start: the pre-game Bombardment did little damage (defenders were in Foxholes), but then my OBA hit close by and managed to find the two 81mm mortars on the second mission; meanwhile, the French OBA got two Red chits and didn't get a single mission. With few real forces on their way, my attackers managed to reach the path with very few losses and started pushing for both victory conditions; we stopped playing after turn 4 (roughly half of the scenario), with only about 4 Algerian squads remaining in the woods and facing very nasty odds.

Inor 12 Reaction: another not-so-small scenario, this one set around the village of Inor on the southern half of the map. The Germans hold the village (14 squads, some fortifications and a single AT gun), and the French counterattack with 18 squads, a Smoke-capable OBA module and two mighty H39 tanks. Again, I was attacking - this time with the French.

The village is mostly Rowhouses, almost all Stone buildinds, with a straight main street running north to south. I chose to pre-register a hex roughly in the middle of the visible line of buildings and drowned it in smoke, effectively cutting the German defense in half. I attacked mostly from the north, and found the German AT gun hidden there; so my tanks could move very close to the defenders on the south, with just some cover from a few squads.

This was a pretty bloody and close fight: the defenders were blinded by the smoke, and were attacked in CC at very unfavorable odds. This, together with very efficient leadership from the French 9-2, resulted in heavy losses from the defenders, and they ended up being overwhelmed.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mike Stubits and I played DTF-15, Storming Lommel. I thought it was going well early as my Brits were staying alive and started taking out some German armor, but I let him strike by the shortest route to the bridge and once he was ensconced there, I had no luck trying to push him back out. I didn't appreciate the problem I had created until too late, partly as I was obsessed with protecting the abandoned vehicles rather than the victory locations. Meanwhile Mike struck clearly and directly and really set me on the back heel. It was a fun scenario and a better British player could probably make it go down to the wire.

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
BoF6 Cavalry Brigade Model. Had the defending Soviets in this one. Rally point was in 32W7. German turn 1 assault came down the Soviet right flank, which was defended by the artillery gun, MMG and one ATR. My opponent kept three squads,8-1 leader and DC back for entry on turn 3. My sniper was active early killing the German 8-0 leader and wounding the 9-2 in the first two turns. The gun when on a rate tear but was only able to shock the Pz3, which subsequently recovered. The gun crew was then broken by infantry fire, rallied immediately but then killed in a torrent of fire when trying to reman the gun. Its sacrifice did allow me to reposition the 9-1 and MMG to a less exposed position. The real hero on this flank was the ATR squad in a foxhole in 37O4. These heroes gunned down a couple of half squads and then immobilised the Pz2, but the icing on the cake came in turn 3 when the Pz 3 tried to bypass them and the ATR got a hull hit in the side at 3 hex range and I rolled a snakes on the kill.

The effective demise of the armour and the leader casualties effectively dislocated the German attack from the north and I was able to reposition most of the surviving defenders to meet the attack from the south. This attack was repelled when the DC wielding squad ate a 1KIA on a 16 -1 from the leader directed MMG. At that point my opponent conceded.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BoF6 Cavalry Brigade Model. Had the defending Soviets in this one. Rally point was in 32W7. German turn 1 assault came down the Soviet right flank, which was defended by the artillery gun, MMG and one ATR. My opponent kept three squads,8-1 leader and DC back for entry on turn 3. My sniper was active early killing the German 8-0 leader and wounding the 9-2 in the first two turns. The gun when on a rate tear but was only able to shock the Pz3, which subsequently recovered. The gun crew was then broken by infantry fire, rallied immediately but then killed in a torrent of fire when trying to reman the gun. Its sacrifice did allow me to reposition the 9-1 and MMG to a less exposed position. The real hero on this flank was the ATR squad in a foxhole in 37O4. These heroes gunned down a couple of half squads and then immobilised the Pz2, but the icing on the cake came in turn 3 when the Pz 3 tried to bypass them and the ATR got a hull hit in the side at 3 hex range and I rolled a snakes on the kill.

The effective demise of the armour and the leader casualties effectively dislocated the German attack from the north and I was able to reposition most of the surviving defenders to meet the attack from the south. This attack was repelled when the DC wielding squad ate a 1KIA on a 16 -1 from the leader directed MMG. At that point my opponent conceded.
An interesting scenario with the unknown objective. I had played this one (the FrF iteration) against my buddy Mark Harms a few years back and managed to eek out a German Win. I have considered this as one of my all time favorites for many reasons. IIRC I had a super stud cavalrymen MMC that remained mounted the entire scenario and was never really hurt by the Russians though essentially leading the assault.

Sven

'Fin(n) Fan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An interesting scenario with the unknown objective. I had played this one (the FrF iteration) against my buddy Mark Harms a few years back and managed to eek out a German Win. I have considered this as one of my all time favorites for many reasons. IIRC I had a super stud cavalrymen MMC that remained mounted the entire scenario and was never really hurt by the Russians though essentially leading the assault.
Just finished this one last night (the FrF version), with a narrow Russian win in the last CC of the game. I was the Germans and entered my tanks and one reinforced cavalry platoon on turn one, holding everyone else off board until Turn 3. At game end, the Germans had encircled and broken most of the Russians in the woods area, but there were two Russian 447's, a 9-1, and an MMG sitting in the victory hex that refused to break or budge (melee doesn't help the Germans because the VC require only that the two Russian squads next to the VC area be "unbroken").

This has to be one of my all-time favorite scenarios--exciting action with some entertaining deception tactics (especially for the Russians). Very highly recommended....

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Playing "The Grist Mill" in a couple hours, as the US. Sure wish I could move that 50. cal one hex from the wreck into that comfy...and +3 TEM stone building right beside it!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I agree that this is an interesting scenario. Played this a couple of years ago as the defending Russians. Can't remember the outcome but I do remember it was fun!

EDIT:

Reviewing the ASL Scenario Archive, I found out that I actually played it twice as the Russians, winning and losing one game each.

First playing vs. David Wallace:

This is an intersting scenario in which (for once) Cavalry can be put to good use if handled properly. This, of course, includes not being shot at while being mounted...
For the Russian the order of the day is to delay the Germans as much as possible and not to miss the right point when to fall back. While doing so, the Russian is well advised to keep the German guessing about where the Rally Point is. If the Russian can make it appear that he could move towards several "convincing" Rally Points at the same time, that can drive the German nuts where towards he should move. At the same time, the Russian has to watch out, that the Germans do not cut him off from the point he has to reach.
I would rate this pro Russian by tendency. In our game, I could not appear to hit anything while the Cavalry was still mounted. Still, the Russians won, albeit it could have gone the German way, without the German knowing, however, that he was very close at some point.
What makes this scenario interesting is the unusual tactical situation and maneuvering.

Second playing vs. Philippe Briaux:

Played this one again as the Russian against a nice guy and tough opponent. He entered only less than half of his force Around the L10 area on Turn 1 and kept the rest offboard to come in later. Avoiding the vulnerability of Cavalry, he dismounted soon and skillfully managed to overcome my gun in the area by flanking it with a tank from behind making a defensive fire hit difficult. I fell back with my western defence quickly to get closer to my rally point while in the east my first line defenders went down rather quickly. In Turn 2 more Cavalry entered from the west to try to cut off my retreat. Turn 3 saw yet more Cavalry galloping along the woods roads entering from the south. All in all, the German was quick enough to cut some of my retreat paths not forgetting to carefully keep any of my broken units under DM that he had bypassed. This left me with not enough units to make an effective stand around the rally point. Good use of Cavalry which was just used as Model would have intended it.

von Marwitz

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Really? Played DB158 A Stalinesque Christmas with my Buddy Rich. The game went 5 turns but the VC is just so tough on the Germans to defend everything. I lost as the Germans again with Rich's Russian capturing P19 and gaining 10 stone locations, the most I got in Russian CVP's was 6, so a very far cry from 13. A huge problem with the VC is I do not think you guys understand the RB locations VC requirement. Each multi hex building I17 fror example is 6 locations alone. A hex in building building K17 is worth 3 locations (celler, ground and 1st level). So the Russians just do not need to travel far afield to win. This is made worse with the Germans spread thin along the lines and thus forces them to bring on their reinforcements to either plug a gap or launch a fruitless counter attack all the while awarding the Russian two free locations due to the reinforcement entry.

It not a bad scenario, it could have been much better if the designer just did not go overboard with several multiple VC's and a very fragile defenders that would have to manage such multiple VC's. hmmmm, maybe I'll redign them and put out my own RB/RO scenario pack.

Scott

Funny. I played this one and found it right on the screws balance wise.