ASLOK final AAR

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I get to play Chad Cummings for the ASLOK final, surprised to be here and want to improve on my 0-3 record vs Chad.
We sit down to talk about what scenario to play and Chad mentions DTF3 True Grit which happens to be my favorite of the pack. We roll a dice, 1-3 we play True Grit and 4-6 something else. dr=3 so True Grit it is.
True Grit is already a classic scenario in my book and worthy for a ASLOK final. I’ve won as both Japanese and Dutch but kinda like the Dutch because I have a cool defense. Chad has also played it a couple of times so we’re on a fairly equal footing.
The reason True Grit is great is because of the options for both players. The Dutch can up front defence or try to fall back, they can hedgehog in the VC area, they can refuse right or left ( I prefer refuse right), they can counterattack later, many possibilities. The Japanese can attack right or left, broad front, bowl the defenders over or go around them, again many options. The scenario played will be the convergence of two personal styles of play, and ain’t that what ASL it’s all about,
My defense is a ploy for a trap. The defence anchors on the left board edge and extends from there. I want to force or trick the Japanese to attack to their right into the line of barbed wire and/or a 75mm gun massacre while constantly threatening and pecking at them from my main force of HIP MMGs/8-1 and the AA gun on the hill stone building in CC8, they see all and know all over most of the village.
More later

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
I get to play Chad Cummings for the ASLOK final, surprised to be here and want to improve on my 0-3 ……..
More later
Is it enough “later” now?😇
I would love to see the AAR after the analysis of the tactical set up. Thanks

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it enough “later” now?😇
I would love to see the AAR after the analysis of the tactical set up. Thanks
19254 This is my set up and plan. Certain counters are HIP, I also wrote it all down. Lots of times I like to put my ART in the same area for mutual support. If a gun breaks I got a hex blocking crew, if the crew breaks the other can man the gun. If one hex gets attacked the other can provide support. Both back guns can turn right and shoot across and down the street.

19251 The ploy works, Japanese advance to their right. Lots of half squads, you can see the victims of long range fire from the CC8 stone building. They are hiding behind the hill. The first shot removed a 1/2 Squad.
Turn three Japanese meet the MLR and are repulsed, notice the stack of 4or5 broken Japanese half squads in the jungle. If they were full squads they could have fired in the d-fire phase. The Dutch right flank falls back.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Randy !
OK, the first photo has my HIP stuff on it and overall plan. The defense looks like a refuse left but actually is a refuse right that pivots like a door on edge of the line of barbed wire and 75mm guns. It forces Japanese into and across the main stack of x2 MMGs/8-1 and the 6 FP AA gun on the hill stone building.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Game end situation, the Dutch still have a turn to counterattack but mercifully end the slaughter because they control the five buildings for success.
Sorry ‘bout the mess.

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
19253 Japanese best turn, this picture is in the middle of Japanese prep fire phase turn 4, Japanese have about 12 squads left, Dutch have about 9 total and 7 good order. When the game started Chad said he wanted the planes on turn 4, he got his wish. As knee mortars lined up on my hill kill stack I decide to spread out. Luckily no smoke went down but the very next shot was a ‘crit’ that wasted my left MMG dude, luckily the 20L and other MMG with the 8-1 missed out on the death and stood firm up there with no smoke in the way. On the other hand the one smoke mortar brought down two WP attacks on both my back guns, effectively silenced them and blew that flank wide open. The planes are on map and lurk as a reminder in the upper left.

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Where did the IJA T2 reinforcements enter, and what happened to them?

Was comparing your uitstekend defence to Sidhu's here. Both worked, although Ginnard's Japanese came close to succeeding.

Looks like a crazy fun scenario. Congrats on your win!

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where did the IJA T2 reinforcements enter, and what happened to them?

Was comparing your uitstekend defence to Sidhu's here. Both worked, although Ginnard' Japanese came close to succeeding.

Looks like a crazy fun scenario. Congrats on your win!
I start with 4 squads guarding my left flank. They have one or two hexes to watch over then the wire/75mm guns start. Chad sent two 1/2 squads to harass them and remarked “Glad I didn’t go that way” but I eventually shuffled 3 squads away toward the main threat. Most (5/6th) of the turn two Japanese reinforcements joined up with the rest of the main force. Chad deployed a lot of halfsquads which I think are better left as full squads to keep the pressure up. When 1/2 squads break they rout away, even though he used a few ‘advancing’ routs the 1/2 squads lack the stayingpower punch of full Japanese squads.
Mcgrath kinda concurs, doesn’t like the Japanese half-squad attack and says they should go around all the Guns and stuff. Chad’s last best chance was a fighterbomber sighting TC to attack the Dutch reinforcement10-2 w/2 squads, he needed a 6 but rolled a 7 so I lucked out. McGrath lectured later and said “why did you do that ? You know if he made that TC you were totally screwed. “

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have 4 squads guarding my left flank. They have one or two hexes to watch over then the wire/75mm guns start. Chad sent two 1/2 squads to harass them and remarked “Glad I didn’t go that way” but I eventually shuffled 3 squads away toward the main threat. Most (5/6th) of the turn two reinforcements joined up with the rest of the main force. Chad deployed a lot of halfsquads which I think are better off left as full squads to keep the pressure up. When 1/2 squads break they rout away, even though he used a few ‘advancing’ routs the 1/2 squads lack the stayingpower punch of full Japanese squads.
Great thanks. Your left proved rock solid.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am pretty sure the Wire may not set up HIP in Palm Trees....which is quite a lot of information given away with this setup...

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am pretty sure the Wire may not set up HIP in Palm Trees....which is quite a lot of information given away with this setup...
I thought fortifications where HIP until LOS (A12.33). That’s how it was played, the wire went on board with the first half squad that saw ‘em entered on turn two.
Any other way would ruin the fun. It looks like the easy way in but actually it’s the hardest.

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am pretty sure the Wire may not set up HIP in Palm Trees...
About those Palm trees...

SSR 1 of DTF-3 raises an interesting question. It states that Light Jungle, Palm Trees, and Kunai are in effect. No mention of PTO Terrain. A strict reading of Chapter G suggests that for these terrain types to exist, PTO Terrain must be in effect.

Whenever PTO Terrain (G.1) is in effect, all orchard hexes become palm tree hexes.
I realize that this would have led to a laundry list of exceptions, but I wonder if there is a better way to state this. (I did a cursory look at scenarios published in Rising Sun and Action Pack 9, but could find no SSR similar to that used in DTF-3. My apologies if there is an "official" precedent somewhere.)

As it stands, someone could argue that a multi-hex FG formed from units in SSR "Kunai" would not be subject to the restrictions of G.3 because PTO Terrain is not in effect (see G.3 EX). However, in that case, neither is Kunai.

Cool scenario btw.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I thought fortifications where HIP until LOS (A12.33). That’s how it was played, the wire went on board with the first half squad that saw ‘em entered on turn two.
Any other way would ruin the fun. It looks like the easy way in but actually it’s the hardest.
Hi Bob,

sure, they are HIP until LOS.....which may be only when the side force enters....

Very nice setup, by the way.

I personally really like the Wire in Jungle, where the enemy has to enter and get stuck (hopefully close/next to some serious Dutch firepower) to find out it is there.