Broken Ground Design Thread

seblick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Please forgive my ignorance, but has there been any solution to the errata on counters in the original sets contained in the Grofaz bundle?

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I miss him too. The quality and frequency of historical content and commentary on this site has been greatly diminished following his passing.
Same for me. I miss him any time I enter this forum.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
CS 2? Seriously? It seems to be manned by 1 crew. Some players could risk their luck bringing up front only to (if lucky) obtain a improbable hunt or an elite crew out of the wreck. Or perhaps you should create a note stating that in case of crew survival, this has to be represented by a 6+1 fanatical leader (fanatical because only a fanatic can be so foolish to man this vehicle; and the +1 because it's neeeded a fanatical, but stupid one to man it) :)

Last edited:

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Perhaps you are trying to made a countersheet of "German funnies" or "Deutsche Lustig". If that's so, you could try your hand on this:
Kugelpanzer - Wikipedia
;) You know I enjoy all your counters , Alan. Best wishes!

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
CS 2? Seriously? It seems to be manned by 1 crew. Some players could risk their luck bringing up front only to (if lucky) obtain a improbable hunt or an elite crew out of the wreck. Or perhaps you should create a note stating that in case of crew survival, this has to be represented by a 6+1 fanatical leader (fanatical because only a fanatic can be so foolish to man this vehicle; and the +1 because it's neeeded a fanatical, but stupid one to man it) :)
CS is used for armed vehicles, cs for unarmed. It does have one driver, but I believe (or assume/surmise) that there would be a second who would reload the PSKs, in the unlikely event that the vehicle survived its initial "shoot & scoot" attempt. Very much a close-quarters, kamikaze machine - desperate measures for desperate times.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
CS is used for armed vehicles, cs for unarmed. It does have one driver, but I believe (or assume/surmise) that there would be a second who would reload the PSKs, in the unlikely event that the vehicle survived its initial "shoot & scoot" attempt. Very much a close-quarters, kamikaze machine - desperate measures for desperate times.
Running behind the veh loaded with rockets to reload in front of a (roaring) enemy? I doubt it very much. This was a semi-kamikaze AFV. If you hit... good. If not, pull back at full speed and see (if you're lucky) if you got a second chance. Nah. Opportunity weapon, nothing operational or to be relied as a regular weapon.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Running behind the veh loaded with rockets to reload in front of a (roaring) enemy? I doubt it very much. This was a semi-kamikaze AFV. If you hit... good. If not, pull back at full speed and see (if you're lucky) if you got a second chance. Nah. Opportunity weapon, nothing operational or to be relied as a regular weapon.
The Wanze carried 18 shells for reloading. The Borgwards were designed as munitions/personnel carriers, but proved unreliable/inadequate for the tasks. That's why they were re-purposed for demo/Wanze. The area behind the driver was where all the carrying happened. So a crew loader would sit at the back, with the ammo, and reload the PSK after firing. Still high-risk, low-survival.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
The Wanze carried 18 shells for reloading. The Borgwards were designed as munitions/personnel carriers, but proved unreliable/inadequate for the tasks. That's why they were re-purposed for demo/Wanze. The area behind the driver was where all the carrying happened. So a crew loader would sit at the back, with the ammo, and reload the PSK after firing. Still high-risk, low-survival.
Ok. You've got your point. The explosives area could be reserved for reloads. I don't see the space for reloader, but it's clear that you've made your research, so, it's Ok. But even so, a CS of 2 is very high possibility of survival for this machine... Perhaps because of the combined power of the loaded and not reloaded charges. It merits the cathegory not of a burning wreck, but a pulverized wreck :)

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ok. You've got your point. The explosives area could be reserved for reloads. I don't see the space for reloader, but it's clear that you've made your reseach, so, it's Ok. But even so, a CS of 2 is very high possibility of survival for this machine... Perhaps because of the combined power of the loaded and not reloaded charges. It merits the cathegory not of a burning wreck, but a pulverized wreck :)
How about I make it red? Can't go lower than 2.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
To be frank, my thoughts are that I'd far rather see counters for vehicles that saw reasonable if limited use. Just as one example, the official counterset has a SINGLE counter representation to stand in for all horsedrawn transport used in WWII. (It's a little hilarious to me that we have TPP grinding out wildly unrepresentative examples of every aircraft used in the war but how many new wagons do we get?) As a past purchaser of BGD countersheets, there's zero chance I'd purchase a sheet of rarities like this unless there were multiples of something a lot more reasonable (captured trucks or something) also present. And even then there's pretty much zero chance the Pz.sfl.la would ever see time on my game table.

If you're just throwing this up as a tongue-in-cheek example or a theoretical exercise I apologize. (And I recognize that there may be an audience/customer base for this sort of ephemera - but you did ask for opinions, and as the saying goes "Asking for advice is a lot like inviting a vampire into your home - if you don't like the results you have only yourself to blame.")