GS up for sale again?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Why couldn’t there be a section where people can get into whatever disagreement they want to as long as they keep it civil and stay within that section.
As it was before present owner?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Removing the political stomping ground was a great move, in my opinion. This is a gaming website, there are countless other sites when politics and religion can be discussed. The site is better place without that vitriol and hot air. Life’s too short.

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As one that participated in the political forum daily, I will say that this forum is no worse off now that it is gone. It was a good move. It was best said up thread that politics divide us more than they bring us together.

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 'keep it civil' part is the one where too many failed miserably in the suspended 'Political Section' for starters.

von Marwitz
I feel some of it was due to people liking the feeling of getting under another’s skin.

Not really putting forward a valid point but just starting an issue to watch it burn.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Personally the political forum could of stayed as I never looked at it as it held no interest to me so why look ?
The point, as far as I’m concerned, is that if you are interested in swimming you go to forum that focuses on swimming. Both you and I were involved in a number of debates, with others, in PSG. Debate doesn’t stop just because there isn’t sub forum to discuss completely unrelated issues to board and computer gaming. There are places where those issues can be aired. The forum is better off without it. Fewer people getting banned as well 😎

21Z5M

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The point, as far as I’m concerned, is that if you are interested in swimming you go to forum that focuses on swimming. Both you and I were involved in a number of debates, with others, in PSG. Debate doesn’t stop just because there isn’t sub forum to discuss completely unrelated issues to board and computer gaming. There are places where those issues can be aired. The forum is better off without it. Fewer people getting banned as well 😎
What were the intentions of the original creator of the forum to include such things? Was it to create a larger sense of community? Do people speak about politics at tournaments?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
What were the intentions of the original creator of the forum to include such things? Was it to create a larger sense of community? Do people speak about politics at tournaments?
I got the impression that Don couldn't find another outlet/audience for his political views and thus often posted about them here or his gamesquad blog.

See his profile here: Dr Zaius | GameSquad Forums

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I got the impression that Don couldn't find another outlet/audience for his political views and thus often posted about them here or his gamesquad blog.

See his profile here: Dr Zaius | GameSquad Forums
Since I rarely if ever go to someone's profile, I've no idea how to find the stuff you're referring to. Clicking the top level links doesn't reveal anything political. Is there some super-secret sequence of buttons I'm supposed to click?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I rarely went to the political forums, but I remember hearing that some people were quite rude to others and then complaints would be made to the moderators; so it would make work for no useful reason.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Since I rarely if ever go to someone's profile, I've no idea how to find the stuff you're referring to. Clicking the top level links doesn't reveal anything political. Is there some super-secret sequence of buttons I'm supposed to click?
The profile link is to jog your memory, the site looked a lot different back when Don was active and there were a number of blogs which were highly profiled. The site used to have a front page and gaming articles - it actually looked a lot like grogheads.com looks today, with the forum intended to be the 'back end' where we would discuss the stuff on the front end. But over time the site kind of became an ASL forum with some other discussions thrown in and much of the marquee site content has been dispensed with.

In other words, it isn't a surprise that the political forum got dissolved, but what is surprising is just how much of the other stuff has disappeared also without anyone even noticing. :) The front page/landing site now has a short introduction and a link directly to this forum. All the blogs, articles, etc. (where you would find the political stuff) is gone. The political stuff got - at least as I recall it - very little attention paid to it, but I suppose not much of the marquee content did either. It was a lot of work, and I think just two people were providing it - Scott Tortorice and Don.

I can't even remember all the names the site has had. Strategy Zone Online was one of them. And I think, even before I registered here, the forum was linked to the Armchair General site?

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

This is from 19 years ago now. The discussions from that time indicate the site was more of a gaming club for video games complete with ladders. I guess at some point someone had the bright idea to expand the membership by including board wargame discussions.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The profile link is to jog your memory, the site looked a lot different back when Don was active and there were a number of blogs which were highly profiled. The site used to have a front page and gaming articles - it actually looked a lot like grogheads.com looks today, with the forum intended to be the 'back end' where we would discuss the stuff on the front end. But over time the site kind of became an ASL forum with some other discussions thrown in and much of the marquee site content has been dispensed with.

In other words, it isn't a surprise that the political forum got dissolved, but what is surprising is just how much of the other stuff has disappeared also without anyone even noticing. :) The front page/landing site now has a short introduction and a link directly to this forum. All the blogs, articles, etc. (where you would find the political stuff) is gone. The political stuff got - at least as I recall it - very little attention paid to it, but I suppose not much of the marquee content did either. It was a lot of work, and I think just two people were providing it - Scott Tortorice and Don.

I can't even remember all the names the site has had. Strategy Zone Online was one of them. And I think, even before I registered here, the forum was linked to the Armchair General site?
Interesting post.

von Marwitz