COVID

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hello Randy,

I do understand your concern. However, COVID is a reality and so is its importance with regard to the running of tournaments with "physical" attendance.

As such, I think it is a mistake to generally delete/disallow comments about COVID in threads about tournaments. In fact, threads about tournaments with "physical" attendance in which this question it NOT addressed would be - in the end - useless for me. If I do not know, how the COVID situation is addressed at a tournament or there is just "silence" on the matter, I will not attend.

In my opinion, this is necessary and vital information that should not be deleted/disallowed. As may be the reactions of a TD to people that post they intend to attend unvaccinated and/or untested.

Against this background, I suggest that you think about reconsidering your policy or stating it more precisely.
Derailing a thread based on COVID and providing information with regard to its handling are two very different matters in my opinion.

von Marwitz

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
I do not want to clog up the ASLOK thread with discussions about COVID. People have different opinions about COVID, which can lead to heated debates and arguments. This has lead to derailing other threads. I have to keep it zero tolerance to be as 'even handed' as 'fair' to all as I can to all opinions out of respect of those fellow ASL players.

Remember this forum is about gaming, primarily ASL.

As Brian has done, like this one, separate threads are ok.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Thank you Randy for doing your job. This post is about ASLOK. You may attend or choose not to attend. Posting fear mongering comments should not be tolerated. Well done Randy.
Who has posted any misinformation or fear mongering. There is no doubt the numbers are up in Ohio and there is no doubt that as the numbers go up the risk goes up. The Delta variant is more virulent. Break through infections are possible. These are all facts. There is nothing fear mongering about that. As I recall Mark only posted facts and his own personal decision making. As I recall, he didn't even attempt to convince anyone. He commented on it being a possible super spreader event. Guess what: that's completely within the real of possibility. Any large gathering of people is a potential super spreader event. Especially people in a closed room with little to no turnover in the air, no one wearing masks, and of unknown vaccine status. That's a recipe for a super spreader event. Sure, it may not (likely won't) turn out to be one but at this point saying it's possible is hardly fear mongering, it's the truth no matter how uncomfortable that makes you.

For the record, I wanted to attend too but I won't be. The numbers are up in Ohio. Being enclosed in a room full of people is a risk, vaccinated or not. I am completely vaccinated but vaccinated people are dying too although substantially lower rates. The likelihood of me suffering from Covid are pretty close to zero but they aren't zero. You may say to yourself "I am willing to take the risk" but I am not. Not for a game, even as much as I miss spending time with my friends. If you chose differently, that's your call. I hope everyone who attends has a safe experience. I hope no one who attends goes home asymptomatic and spreads the disease to others. But for me, this is a risk reward issue. As rewarding as it would be to go to ASLOk, the risk is too much and the potential negative repercussions are more than I am willing to bear. This isn't fear mongering as much as you may try to color it so. This is simple observation of the possibilities and making a decision. -- jim

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm watching the news out of Ohio closely but since the border is still closed to Canadians, it may be a moot point for me.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Who has posted any misinformation or fear mongering. There is no doubt the numbers are up in Ohio and there is no doubt that as the numbers go up the risk goes up. The Delta variant is more virulent. Break through infections are possible. These are all facts. There is nothing fear mongering about that. As I recall Mark only posted facts and his own personal decision making. As I recall, he didn't even attempt to convince anyone. He commented on it being a possible super spreader event. Guess what: that's completely within the real of possibility. Any large gathering of people is a potential super spreader event. Especially people in a closed room with little to no turnover in the air, no one wearing masks, and of unknown vaccine status. That's a recipe for a super spreader event. Sure, it may not (likely won't) turn out to be one but at this point saying it's possible is hardly fear mongering, it's the truth no matter how uncomfortable that makes you.

For the record, I wanted to attend too but I won't be. The numbers are up in Ohio. Being enclosed in a room full of people is a risk, vaccinated or not. I am completely vaccinated but vaccinated people are dying too although substantially lower rates. The likelihood of me suffering from Covid are pretty close to zero but they aren't zero. You may say to yourself "I am willing to take the risk" but I am not. Not for a game, even as much as I miss spending time with my friends. If you chose differently, that's your call. I hope everyone who attends has a safe experience. I hope no one who attends goes home asymptomatic and spreads the disease to others. But for me, this is a risk reward issue. As rewarding as it would be to go to ASLOk, the risk is too much and the potential negative repercussions are more than I am willing to bear. This isn't fear mongering as much as you may try to color it so. This is simple observation of the possibilities and making a decision. -- jim
I haven't attended for some years and had been planning on going this year. I intended to meet Fish's brother there to give him Fish's old Apple computer that has been in my attic for a couple decades. Now I am not so sure. We will see how things go.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I haven't attended for some years and had been planning on going this year. I intended to meet Fish's brother there to give him Fish's old Apple computer that has been in my attic for a couple decades. Now I am not so sure. We will see how things go.
I have opted out of attending a local Colorado ASL event mainly due to the fact that the organizer and others have explicitly said they will not be vaccinated or masked.

There have been a number of smaller ASL gatherings among vaccinated folks.

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The following catagories exists, except for people with poor health conditions.
  1. Non-vax people (as myself).
  2. Non-vax covid-survivors (vax NA)
  3. Non-vax people with covid.
  4. Vax people (a minority of the world).
  5. Vax people then covid survivors.
  6. vax people with covid.
I prefer to be around people of the first 2 categories (i.e., non-vax people with strong immunities instead of an artificial short term immunity), but I do not really care (EXC: catogory nr 6 I will avoid at all cost).

Since I am in nr 1. category now and hope to stay there but if I go to nr 3. and with an estimated survival rate of 99.98% I will most likely be labelled nr 2 that medical research have proven to have an immunity
superiority to any fully vax person.

In short, I rather lick corona than get the 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 needle vax dose injections.

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
In short, I rather lick corona than get the 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 needle vax dose injections.
There are two reasons that people should choose to get vaccinated.
  1. The selfish reason to avoid getting covid yourself.
  2. The socially responsible reason that it will shorten the period until a society has built up herd immunity, and thus shielding vulnerable people who for medical reasons cannot take the vaccine or for whom the vaccine does not work very well.
1.Sorry, but I do not care whether an anti-vaxxer gets COVID and/or dies, this was their personal choice.

2.I do want to see anti-vaxxer barred from attending ASL events by socially responsible Tournament Directors, such as the ones in Copenhagen, not because I personally am likely to get very sick, but because a breakthrough infection might put vulnerable people in my family at risk.

Are you and your anti-vaxxer friends in Stockholm going to Supporting Fire in Borås, Melvin?

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An addition to you #2 @The Magnus : vaccine aren't perfect, and not everyone responds the same. In addition to those who cannot be vaccinate for medical reasons, there is a small fraction of perfectly healthy people who were vaccinated, but where it didn't "take". The person you're shielding by encouraging others to vaccinate may be yourself

And get vaccinated for the infants! They are too young to be vaccinated, and their very survival depends on herd immunity.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Personally, I feel very fortunate we have extremely safe and effective vaccines available. It's made a big difference to have most folks vaccinated where I live.

Here is the data, draw your own conclusions.

My county (Morris, NJ) has ~500k folks. We were hit hit hard April/May/June of 2020 with most of our 1,248 covid deaths then.

In January 2021 my county opened a high-volume 'mega'-vaccine site and vaccinated over 400k people total (up to 4,000/day). I volunteered there one day week. The county now has 73% with at least one shot.

You can see the impact of vaccines on our county covid deaths over time here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=morris+county+nj+covid+deaths&source=hp&ei=5k8pYeeFBOSZmgfV3LaIDA&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYSld9h_fW9I4DqJwyR0Te2ptDA7k4SYL&oq=morris+county+nj+covid+deaths&gs_lcp=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&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjnkKH7idLyAhXkjOYKHVWuDcEQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

Here is the same graph for all of Florida:

Notice a difference?

Since we are sharing, I both tested positive and am vaccinated (including a third shot).

I plan to go to ASLOK for a few days. I have no problem wearing a mask upon request. I hope to see some of you there.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Remember -
No personal insults.
No political insults. (Example: No calling 'country X' or 'state X' government / people stupid because of their COVID policies. You can disagree with their policies but do not call them stupid / crazy / dumb/ etc.)

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
People have different opinions about COVID
Opinions don't matter. Reliable information and prudent public health policies do.

Remember this forum is about gaming, primarily ASL.
Pretending that these activities take place in a vacuum does not help. Responsible leadership does.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
1.Sorry, but I do not care whether an anti-vaxxer gets COVID and/or dies, this was their personal choice.
Besides the general humane concern for all of our brothers and sisters, there are other very good reasons we should care. Every new patient is another burden on our community and health care system, and a danger to everyone else they could infect. Worse, every new infection is another opportunity for further mutation.

The longer we refuse to get smart about this disease and do what needs to be done, the longer it will plague us all. If you're sick of people needlessly getting sick, by all means stand up and say so. It is long past time for common sense to prevail.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland

2.I do want to see anti-vaxxer barred from attending ASL events by socially responsible Tournament Directors, such as the ones in Copenhagen, not because I personally am likely to get very sick, but because a breakthrough infection might put vulnerable people in my family at risk.
Your claim is false yet again, I am not an anti-vaxxer. I am an anti-mad vaxxer.

If old or obese you shold take the experimental vaxx, ask your doc first.

Friends have had covid and now with a life long immunity, still mad vaxxer do not care and only propagate that all should be injected with the Corona juice.

The pandemic spread and rise of fearmongers and medical "experts" are the real pandemic without the cell phone
this rise of the above had not been possible.

Over a 30 year period in Sweden the death toll stats are the same with small variations, except for one year when the flue made the curve spike upward a bit, like most curve do. Still no mandate or propaganda to take a flue shot.

Big Gov/Tech/Biz are all for censorship if the loserthink are objected to, they are the new tyrrants.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The talk about numbers, not a fearmonger's cup of tee I have noticed.

The response to Covid is more destructive to the sociaty than the diesease itself.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Since we are sharing, I both tested positive and am vaccinated (including a third shot).
An African Politician tested a goat and a piece of fruit with the available Covid Tests...They both came back positive...
A piece of FRUIT!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The talk about numbers, not a fearmonger's cup of tee I have noticed.

The response to Covid is more destructive to the sociaty than the diesease itself.
As has always been the intent/.