Two dm 81mm mortars

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where are those vehicles in that photo? There appears to be a Mark III immediately in front of the mortar crews, but perhaps my prescription needs to be updated to make out any other vehicles.
Look at the left background at a figure between two vehicle like ‘smudges’. A battle perhaps (at least a line of smoke puffs) apparently is in the center background, just right of the tank.

Last edited:

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Look at the left background at a figure between two vehicle like ‘smudges’. A battle perhaps (at least a line of smoke puffs) apparently is in the center background, just right of the tank.
Ah, here. If you can make out a Kubelwagen from that rear smudge you really know your silhouettes!
Curious what the tall profile vehicle about to crest the ridge might me - looks like a very long barrel if this was circa 1941.
There is a lot of battle smoke wafting from center to left. The apparent firefight going on above-right of the tank seems to be at a greater distance from the camera than the vehicles that are going up the ridge on the left.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Concur. The group of men further forward on the right appear to be a heavy MG crew. Was there a date, location and source for this photo?
I saw the photo on Reddit, but can't remember the caption and I can't find the photo on there now unfortunately.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The caption on Reddit is almost certainly wrong. The picture is on the Eastern Front, probably 1941.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It seems as if the increased PP for an assembled weapon has more to do with the awkwardness of multiple individuals carrying it and not so much the ammunition. Sort of like one of those races where your leg is strapped to someone else or a potatoe sack race with three people in the potatoe sack. Just guessing.

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
“Tall profile vehicle” - might that be a building ? It looks too tall and bulky to be a vehicle.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Nice photo. If you were a sniper whom would you shoot first ? The guy with tape on his helmet ?
Good question. I would pick that guy (red arrow). No "Gerödel" (canteen, gas mask canister, Zeltbahn, bottle, etc.) no rifle/ Smg. Maybe an officer. Also interesting, the guys carrying the mortar parts have no rifle with them.
In the backround, i´m pretty sure, it´s an infantry squad (Gruppe). Clearly visible the MG-Schütze (blue arrow).
Pretty nice combined arms picture. Since they are "clustering" i think there is no immediate danger to come under fire.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Since the thread on dm mortars in foxholes is pretty active I thought I would take another look at this excellent photo.

Not to inject realism into the rules discussion on another thread but it seems as if the foxhole would be a bit crowded. It doesn't seem to me to matter if the mortar was dismantled or assembled it would be tight quarters.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
Since the thread on dm mortars in foxholes is pretty active I thought I would take another look at this excellent photo.

Not to inject realism into the rules discussion on another thread but it seems as if the foxhole would be a bit crowded. It doesn't seem to me to matter if the mortar was dismantled or assembled it would be tight quarters.
Dig a bigger hole! Kameraden 😬

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The dm Mortar stack thread brought this to mind. I actually showed the picture to a young coworker the other day and he loved it. I have to admit that for some reason it is one I find quite fascinating and am overly fond of. 🥰