New members introduce yourself here!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking about it, but I found there are plenty of ASL resources available for learning the full game already. I've found the YouTube tutorials created by Neil Ulen, Russ Gifford, and ijester especially helpful.
Well done. I think that you made the right choice. Enjoy the journey!🤗

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking about it, but I found there are plenty of ASL resources available for learning the full game already. I've found the YouTube tutorials created by Neil Ulen, Russ Gifford, and ijester especially helpful.
If you can get your hands on the old Chapter K from Paratrooper, it's a great "boot camp" for learning the basics.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
If you can get your hands on the old Chapter K from Paratrooper, it's a great "boot camp" for learning the basics.
Some people have a problem with the style of writing and I suppose the author may overdo it in spots, but it still contains very good information written in a more accessible (but less exhaustive) style than the rule book. I think it's a pity it wasn't expanded upon to include vehicles, the desert, PTO, and Chapter E rules.

In case it hasn't been mentioned already, Jim Stahler's Eight Steps to ASL is worth working through, as it takes the newcomer through the rules using the programmed instruction approach that was used with the original ASL and gamettes. I copied the steps to a spreadsheet to make it easier to track progress.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In case it hasn't been mentioned already, Jim Stahler's Eight Steps to ASL is worth working through, as it takes the newcomer through the rules using the programmed instruction approach that was used with the original ASL and gamettes. I copied the steps to a spreadsheet to make it easier to track progress.
That would be a useful item to add to the Resources area of this Game Squad.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some people have a problem with the style of writing and I suppose the author may overdo it in spots, but it still contains very good information written in a more accessible (but less exhaustive) style than the rule book. I think it's a pity it wasn't expanded upon to include vehicles, the desert, PTO, and Chapter E rules.

Agree, the comic-book "Sarge" schtick was kinda stupid, but running through the drills was a good way to learn.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Sounds interesting, are you willing to share it?
That would be a useful item to add to the Resources area of this Game Squad.
No problem. I'll tidy it up and upload it. I was going to add a sheet for the similar article for the PTO from one of the Annuals/Journals (I have it somewhere). Would it be a breach of copyright to upload that as part of it? Not the article, of course, just the rules referenced. It will look like this...

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The Jim Stahler guide is/was available as an MMP download, IIRC, so I believe it is fine to load your version of that. I ask you to leave out the PTO part to avoid any copyright issue.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
The Jim Stahler guide is/was available as an MMP download, IIRC, so I believe it is fine to load your version of that. I ask you to leave out the PTO part to avoid any copyright issue.
No problem, I'll keep that bit for myself. :)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Agree, the comic-book "Sarge" schtick was kinda stupid, but running through the drills was a good way to learn.
I liked the whole thing. It was of great help to me when I started off - especially that there were much less articles on various tactics out there at the time nor did I own most of those that were.

von Marwitz

talonite

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No problem. I'll tidy it up and upload it. I was going to add a sheet for the similar article for the PTO from one of the Annuals/Journals (I have it somewhere). Would it be a breach of copyright to upload that as part of it? Not the article, of course, just the rules referenced. It will look like this...
Really appreciate this, thanks. I'm going through Chapter K right now and I love it. I will check out Jim Stahler's guide as well. My plan of attack is to master the infantry portion of the game (the part I'm most interested in) before delving into guns and vehicles.

Also, if you find that Annual with the PTO tutorial, can you tell me that volume and issue number? I'll buy a copy since PTO is my favorite theater.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I've uploaded it to here:

Unfortunately the Resource pages don't allow .xls/.xlsx files to be loaded, so I've printed it to PDF instead, which doesn't look as good but should still be usable.

The PTO article is in Journal 1 and is called "Welcome to the Jungle". Journal 1, along with all the other Journals and Annuals can be purchased in PDF format from Wargame Vault, as can the "Classic ASL" scenario pack which contains some of the recommended scenarios. The relevant General magazines are also downloadable from the VFFT website.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I liked the whole thing. It was of great help to me when I started off - especially that there were much less articles on various tactics out there at the time nor did I own most of those that were.

von Marwitz
I remember sitting in a little alcove in a little overpriced apartment in Palo Alto, California, totally engrossed in Chapter K boot camp and my then-girlfriend asking "is it really THAT interesting?", translation: "more interesting than me?"

Broke up with her a year later.

Still playing ASL 23 years later. 😊

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I remember sitting in a little alcove in a little overpriced apartment in Palo Alto, California, totally engrossed in Chapter K boot camp and my then-girlfriend asking "is it really THAT interesting?", translation: "more interesting than me?"

Broke up with her a year later.

Still playing ASL 23 years later. 😊

Well, I am playing ASL for a longer time than I know the woman which has become my beloved wife and mother of my children. For her charms, I would drop ASL like a hot stone anytime. She knows when to let a man play. Even if it is playing ASL... ;)

von Marwitz

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just get the Starter kits and learn the game quick and accurately. The form is full of accounts of guys who thought they learned ASL from Chapter K who later had to be corrected by others when they started playing Face to face. The new Starter Kit system is the best method, period. MMP made them for a reason, and the reason is they're the quickest and most correct way to learn ASL. Don't cheat yourself, do it right from the start. ;-)

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Just get the Starter kits and learn the game quick and accurately. The forum is full of accounts of guys who thought they learned ASL from Chapter K who later had to be corrected by others when they started playing Face to face.
First time I ever heard that. I agree, though, that the starter kits are probably a better way to go if one needs to learn alone.

BillyN831

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit #1. Read twelve pages twice and would like to know if there are supplements to make my first game smoother. Thankee thankee.