Activation in APh

GerryM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello: Just curious, it seems that S? can be activated in APh. And all eligible ones too.

It just seems that it exposes a lot of the ENEMY when in an ASL game a defender might want to keep concealment?

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
Not sure when defending S? would be dropping concealment during the advance phase. Attacking ones sure, but defending S? won't move if they're in HOLD attitude. Or am I missing something?

Even when the S? are attacking (advance attitude), if they're losing concealment due to moving into the open they're likely better off doing so during the advance phase than during the movement phase, when they'd be subject to a -2 DRM.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, S? can be activated in the APh. If S? are activated because they Advanced ADJACENT to a Friendly unit, the generated units may still be concealed (S3.32 b).

GerryM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was worried when I read your reply that I was misreading the rules.

You are referring to S? in the ENEMY APh. But I was thinking about S? in the FRIENDLY APh. But it looks like they can be activated in either APh.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I thought you meant ENEMY APh. In the FRIENDLY APh, S3.31 (Hold attitude) way (b) says a S? can be activated by proximity and net IFT DRM "advancing FRIENDLY Target", and S3.32 says S? in Advance attitude can be activated in the same ways as one in Hold attitude.

I can't find a rule that says the units generated when a S? is Activated are unconcealed. The S? itself is a type of "concealment" (S3.1), and the mention of "retaining concealment" when activated in S3.32 (b) makes me think that units generated from a S? Activated in the FRIENDLY APh may be (stay) concealed.

I haven't played SASL in a long time; I can't remember how I played it.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes they can be activated in the APh, but as noted in the rules, FFMO, FFNAM do not apply when determining eligibility for activation in the APh.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I've always played that units activated from S? are concealed unless they are losing S? status due to a concealment loss activity - including if they are activated due to moving FRIENDLY forces but are unable to fire (advance phase, out of range, etc.) Like Scott said I can't find this explicitly stated in the rules but since S3 identifies S? as having a form of "concealment" it logically follows (imo) that concealment status would transfer to activated ENEMY units unless voided.

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
I've always played S? activated my Friendly APh movements are activated concealed. But not sure it really matters. In the next PrepFire phase they will either be firing, moving or entrenching and thus lose concealment.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've always played S? activated my Friendly APh movements are activated concealed. But not sure it really matters. In the next PrepFire phase they will either be firing, moving or entrenching and thus lose concealment.
Not necessarily, there are actions that would allow them to maintain concealment.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you talking about that inaction Action?
NRBH, but I was thinking of various assault move options, but now I think an automatic "self-preservation" action would kick in forcing prep fire barring panic. Panic isn't a concealment loss activity, is it? or is that what you are referring to?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NRBH, but I was thinking of various assault move options, but now I think an automatic "self-preservation" action would kick in forcing prep fire barring panic. Panic isn't a concealment loss activity, is it? or is that what you are referring to?
I don't believe PANIC in & of itself is a Concealment Loss Activity but was thinking more along the lines of "If unable to perform another activity it does nothing {or words to that effect}." :sneaky: