Declining to attack in CC

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep. Don't attack, and your opponent's attack is halved. If you survive, you retain concealment and are not held in Melee.

This gives you a number of options if its your turn next: fire in PFPh, move out of Location in MPh (and possibly advance back in and ambush oppo), etc.

EX: A Japanese crew with an HMG is concealed (or HIP) when a 6-6-8 advances into Kunai. Rather than risk MAD, the crew retains concealment, facing only a 3-2 attack instead of a 3-1. It lucks out and survives CC. In its PFPh next turn, it opens up on the 6-6-8 with a 16 flat, with possibility of ROF. Even if the attack fails, the 6-6-8 will suffer target-selection limits. The most likely outcome of USMC DF would be a striped crew, which can still advance out of the hex during the APh (provided it hasn't been pinned).

EX: A leader with a DC is concealed in a building when a CX 4-5-7 advances in hoping for an easy kill and a complimentary DC. Neither side ambushes the other, and the squad fails its 2-1 +1 CC attack. In his MPh the following turn, the leader Assault moves out of the Location and then "gifts" the DC to the interloper.
Bingo. I have used this frequently. If you are concealed and your opponent advances in on the last turn and you lose for not being good order, don't attack. He is halved and you are not held in melee, so you stay good order if he whiffs.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bingo. I have used this frequently. If you are concealed and your opponent advances in on the last turn and you lose for not being good order, don't attack. He is halved and you are not held in melee, so you stay good order if he whiffs.

Bite me. My legendary $h!t dice make any such tactics pure fantasy. My 228 would get ambushed and KIA'd. Every time and twice on Sunday.

My recent experiences for the Japanese are showing me i should switch to playing checkers.

Against 3 year old opponents.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Totally missed the point. Thanks for playing.
Mr. Crowe, our favorite New England contrarian, is aptly named. He loves to eat crow, he loves to crow and here he is crowing about his wretched dice, as well as the fact that 2 year olds are too young to play checkers.

Richard doth jest, and his comments can be taken with a vat of salt. On the bright side, he did once have a cool Lou Albano beard complete with rubber band.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Q has been A'd:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You, on the other hand, get it.
Mr. Crowe, our favorite New England contrarian, is aptly named. He loves to eat crow, he loves to crow and here he is crowing about his wretched dice, as well as the fact that 2 year olds are too young to play checkers.

Richard doth jest, and his comments can be taken with a vat of salt. On the bright side, he did once have a cool Lou Albano beard complete with rubber band.
Tonight's tale of woe and misery: cloaked Japanese 10-1 and 2x448 ambush a Burmese 237. 4 to 1 -3 DRM. WHAT DO I EFFING ROLL BUT THE OBLIGATORY 12.
Next CCph, 2x448/LMG, 9-0, cloaked, die vaingloriously while also having the LMG 'randomly' destroyed knocking down a Burmese 447. And I shall not mention the 7 shot ROF tear by the Burmese HMG that was mostly 4 and 5 IFT DRs that stripped Cloak, ELR'd and reduced one 'elite' 448(12 DR MC) and striped the other whilst pinning both.

As for the beard, its still cool but now Viking length with a pair of inherent braids. Elastic required for work purposes.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You, on the other hand, get it.

Tonight's tale of woe and misery: cloaked Japanese 10-1 and 2x448 ambush a Burmese 237. 4 to 1 -3 DRM. WHAT DO I EFFING ROLL BUT THE OBLIGATORY 12.
Next CCph, 2x448/LMG, 9-0, cloaked, die vaingloriously while also having the LMG 'randomly' destroyed knocking down a Burmese 447. And I shall not mention the 7 shot ROF tear by the Burmese HMG that was mostly 4 and 5 IFT DRs that stripped Cloak, ELR'd and reduced one 'elite' 448(12 DR MC) and striped the other whilst pinning both.

As for the beard, its still cool but now Viking length with a pair of inherent braids. Elastic required for work purposes.
4-1-3 hth, he's dead, hell even not HtH. So the 12 is irrelevant and you could leave because you ambushed him. It was a no lose regardless of your dice. Pic on the beard?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Damn! I just have noticed that I had a typo in 'Nahverteidigungswaffe' in post #2.

What an embarrassment to the Oberst...

He had to send the entire regiment to the mudgrounds for some thorough training for the week-end so that he could atone for his mistake by subjecting himself to a number of penal sprints across the barrack's parade ground unobserved.

von Marwitz

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn! I just have noticed that I had a typo in 'Nahverteidigungswaffe' in post #2.

What an embarrassment to the Oberst...

He had to send the entire regiment to the mudgrounds for some thorough training for the week-end so that he could atone for his mistake by subjecting himself to a number of penal sprints across the barrack's parade ground unobserved.

von Marwitz
Penal sprints are always preferable to penal stents. IMO. YMMV.