New program to help set up VASL scenarios

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had it set up. Ran out of time. Went to the office. When I got back, the templates had loaded the BFP module. It worked!

How long, I don't know. But it was a lesson in patience. Thanks again for a great add-on the the VASL and ASL experience.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Figured it out. Templates reads BFP_v403.vmdx but not v431 or v500. Dyslexia .. 403 431 ... confused myself by not paying attention.

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
These settings look OK. A .vmod file is actually just a ZIP file, so copy it somewhere, change the extension to .zip, then double-click on it to see what's inside. You should see a file called buildFile in there.

This is the same file you use to play games with? It's worked before?
The buildfile is in place,
yes, it worked before!
johan;

Attachments

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Templates used to approximate the turn/phase on the x-axis of the moving average chart. Was it removed, or is it bugged? Using v1.6.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Templates used to approximate the turn/phase on the x-axis of the moving average chart. Was it removed, or is it bugged? Using v1.6.
No changes were made in that respect. It's handled automatically by the charting library I'm using, resizing the window can sometimes make labels appear and disappear.

It relies on the players using the turn wheel, so you were doing that, right..?

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It relies on the players using the turn wheel, so you were doing that, right..?
There are two turn wheels now. The old one, and the new customizable one (included with 6.6.2) that displays custom nationality and the turn number in the upper left corner. I've been using the new turn wheel shown below.

It appears the new turn wheel is the problem because I loaded an old .vlog file that used the old phase wheel and the turn/phases were displayed in dice analysis.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It appears the new turn wheel is the problem
Ah, thanks for tracking this down. You can work around this by creating a file called vassal-shim.properties in the config/ directory that looks like this:
Code:
LFA_PATTERN_TURN_TRACK = ^\\* (?!Phase Wheel)(New: )?(?<side>.+?) Turn (?<turn>\\d+) - (?<phase>\\S+)
This should work for old- and new-style Phase Track wheels. A permanent fix for this will be included in the next release (at which time you should remove this work-around).

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This should work for old- and new-style Phase Track wheels. A permanent fix for this will be included in the next release (at which time you should remove this work-around).
I'll just wait for an update. It's not a huge deal, just thought I'd make you aware. Glad it looks like an easy fix.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know when the next release will be (it could be a way off), and the permanent fix will just be exactly this work-around, but hard-coded into the program, so it would be useful for it to get tested against some real-life logs before getting baked into the EXE.
Ok, I created the file with the code you provided, but no luck. No x-axis labels.

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Sorry for the late reply, I don't seem to be getting email notifications any more.

Send me the .vmod file and vasl-templates.ini (in C:\Users\YOUR-NAME) and I'll take a look at it.
Thanks for the reply, but I deinstalled everything and reinstalled, and now it works just fine!!!
I like your program, it is a real improvement!
thanks,
Johan.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have just uploaded VASL templates for the first time. I have noticed that when I save the AFVs to the clipboard and paste them onto a VASL label, their APCR depletion numbers don't appear on the screen although everything else seems to be be there. Is this normal?

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have noticed that when I save the AFVs to the clipboard and paste them onto a VASL label, their APCR depletion numbers don't appear on the screen although everything else seems to be be there. Is this normal?
That information adapts to the scenario date, so you've probably got it set to a time when APCR was not available.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The scenario is J54- Showtime. The date is 12th July 1943. The fighting takes place at Prokhorovka in Russia.
The following AFVs in the final OB have APCR (depletion numbers in brackets).

Germans
PzKpfw VIE (5)
PzKpfw IVH (4)
StuG IIIG (5)

Russians
T34 M43 (5)
KV-1 M42(5)
SU-57(a) (5)

None of them show up as having APCR in the template.

Other information does appear (eg smoke and HEAT) but does not make any adjustment for the elite status of the AFVs. I assume that this is beyond the scope of the template notwithstanding that the information comes from ASL Scenario Archive and the units are listed on the template as SS and Russian Guards respectively. Is it possible to adjust depletion numbers for elite status when setting things up?

Many thanks.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
None of them show up as having APCR in the template.
Are you getting your information from VASL? I compared what VASL is saying for each one vs. theASLRB 2nd Edition, and the recently-released eASLRB:
Code:
            VASL                    ASLRB 2nd Ed.       eASLRB
Pz VIE      A6(2)/5(3)/4(4)         A6(2)               A6(2)
Pz IVH      A5(2)/4(3)/3(4)         A5(2)               A5(2)
StuG IIIG   A6(2)/5(3)/4(4)         A6(2)               A6(2)
T34 M43     A4(2)/5(3)/6(4)/7(5)    A4(2)               A4(2)
KV-1 M42    A4(2)/5(3)              A4(2)               A4(2)
SU-57(a)    A5(3)/6(4)/7(5)         A5(3)               A5(3)
I don't know where VASL is getting its data from, but unless there's some errata floating around somewhere (and it looks like there might be), I go by what's in the RB.

Good grief. I note that both RB's show the counter backs as having the extended APCR numbers, but the tables have the abbreviated ones. Which one takes priority? One would assume the counter, but is there some reason for this discrepancy? :mad:

Is it possible to adjust depletion numbers for elite status when setting things up?
Double-click on an AFV/Gun in the vasl-templates UI, and you can edit the various values, including setting Elite status.

Last edited: