Looking for Comments, Suggestions, and Playtesting

FrankH.

Reaction score
[Prefatory Note: I wrestle with the wisdom of this post and with the process it implies, given the times in which we are living, the many concerning issues (I won't list them). However, on balance it seems positive (also, I don't want to, and see no reason to, sit on this any longer). And to the extent that this "project", and the game itself is not taken toooo seriously, here goes...]

I am looking for comments and suggestions (and, at some point?) playtesting from a few (to a maximum of 6 or so), ideally very experienced and/or top ranked ASL players, game and scenario designers, and publishers, in reference to a set of experimental/optional/supplemental/variant rules, divided in my current terminology into two groups:

1. IN-HEX FACTORS
  2. IN GREATER DETAIL
The rules are accompanied by a running commentary.

The intent of the In-hex Factors rules is to simulate more acutely, in a more nuanced environment, and with greater detail, the effects of a wide range of circumstances within each hex on unit effectiveness. This includes most especially the ability of units individually and/or in coordination with others to make and communicate tactical decisions of all kinds, in order, among other processes, to motivate, organize, move, realign, wheel around, and to identify, sight, target, and concentrate firepower on enemy units, as impacted by the particular characteristics of the terrain-, weather-, and related- specific features immediately in the hex. The quality and quantity of useable physical space, the obstructive density of any terrain features, the utility of the footing as modified by environmental circumstances, and the visibility and audibility conditions within the hex are key examples. Thusly portrayed, given the preceding, includes a unit’s ability to aptly perform such coordinated and concrete actions as Rallying, Clearance, Entrenchment, Attack/Defense, etc., and including various implied tasks and activities. Typically, existing ASL concepts and rules remain valid while being supplemented with new ones; however in some cases for certain associated rules modifications and/or revisions are suggested.

Pursued for "In Greater Detail" is a wide and varied list of topics and issues. Due to the great variety,
there should be at least one item of interest for most anyone. Here are just a few examples:

DEGREE OF UTILIZATION OF AVAILABLE TERRAIN
DUST
AIRCRAFT POSITIONING
BOAT PASSENGERS/SWIMMERS/CLIMBERS
EXTREME HUMIDITY
LOW INTENSITY COMBAT

there are many others...

In fact, these synergistic and interconnecting yet mostly independent rule options taken together may
possibly be the most notable evolutionary advance to the game since the introduction of the HASL system. (You decide.)

If interested please send me a note. Give me a week or so to respond to everyone. I will be sending out a MS Word document. My only other request would be to ask that everyone limit their responses and questions, at this time, to those who need see how to get a copy.

Somewhere in here I should mention my philosophy not specific to ASL but to all conflict simulation gaming. These games should promote the study of history and or geography, at a minimum, but in an entertaining, dramatic, visual and imaginative way. However, they should be used in conjunction with other methods of promoting study.

Thank you in advance for your interest.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[Prefatory Note: I wrestle with the wisdom of this post and with the process it implies, given the times in which we are living, the many concerning issues (I won't list them). However, on balance it seems positive (also, I don't want to, and see no reason to, sit on this any longer). And to the extent that this "project", and the game itself is not taken toooo seriously, here goes...]

I am looking for comments and suggestions (and, at some point?) playtesting from a few (to a maximum of 6 or so), ideally very experienced and/or top ranked ASL players, game and scenario designers, and publishers, in reference to a set of experimental/optional/supplemental/variant rules, divided in my current terminology into two groups:

1. IN-HEX FACTORS
  2. IN GREATER DETAIL

The intent of the In-hex Factors rules is to simulate more acutely, in a more nuanced environment, and with greater detail, the effects of a wide range of circumstances within each hex on unit effectiveness. This includes most especially the ability of units individually and/or in coordination with others to make and communicate tactical decisions of all kinds, in order, among other processes, to motivate, organize, move, realign, wheel around, and to identify, sight, target, and concentrate firepower on enemy units, as impacted by the particular characteristics of the terrain-, weather-, and related- specific features immediately in the hex. The quality and quantity of useable physical space, the obstructive density of any terrain features, the utility of the footing as modified by environmental circumstances, and the visibility and audibility conditions within the hex are key examples. Thusly portrayed, given the preceding, includes a unit’s ability to aptly perform such coordinated and concrete actions as Rallying, Clearance, Entrenchment, Attack/Defense, etc., and including various implied tasks and activities. Typically, existing ASL concepts and rules remain valid while being supplemented with new ones; however in some cases for certain associated rules modifications and/or revisions are suggested.

Pursued for "In Greater Detail" is a wide and varied list of topics and issues. Due to the great variety,
there should be at least one item of interest for most anyone. Here are just a few examples:

DUST
AIRCRAFT POSITIONING
EXTREME HUMIDITY
LOW INTENSITY COMBAT

there are many others...

In fact, these synergistic and interconnecting yet mostly independent rule options taken together may
possibly be the most notable evolutionary advance to the game since the introduction of the HASL system. (You decide.)

If interested please send me a note. Give me a week or so to respond to everyone. I will be sending out a MS Word document. My only other request would be to ask that everyone limit their responses and questions, at this time, to those who need see how to get a copy.

Somewhere in here I should mention my philosophy not specific to ASL but to all conflict simulation gaming. These games should promote the study of history and or geography, at a minimum, but in an entertaining, dramatic, visual and imaginative way. However, they should be used in conjunction with other methods of promoting study.

I’d like to help but don’t have any idea of what you are talking about.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
So, you want people to comment on your house rules, which you're implementing presumably because you don't like the regular ASL rules?

OK, here's my comment: in your own home, play by whatever rules you like (assuming that you can convince your opponent to adopt them). Of course, you want to be certain that you don't let your house rules make you lose sight of the actual rules, unless you never, ever want to play other people outside the environment of your own home.

And here's my suggestion: whatever your ideas on house rules are, they're probably dumb (because house rules are almost always poorly thought out and prove to be counter-productive) and you shouldn't bother.

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Most ASL'ers do not want total realism in their scenarios.
Reality based designs... Yes!
Too realistic rules makes the rules hard to remember and detract from the FUN part of the game.
I play for FUN... not reality... I had that in Viet Nam!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

1. IN-HEX FACTORS
  2. IN GREATER DETAIL

DUST
AIRCRAFT POSITIONING
EXTREME HUMIDITY
LOW INTENSITY COMBAT

there are many others...

I’m going to call this superlative. Are you trying to impress people with jargon and weird speak or communicate an idea? Bring it back a notch or two and try again. Talk to Matt Book maybe he can translate, lol.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I’m going to call this superlative. Are you trying to impress people with jargon and weird speak or communicate an idea? Bring it back a notch or two and try again. Talk to Matt Book maybe he can translate, lol.
Yes he should leave the jargon and weird speak to those who can't contribute anything else. Mois!!😉😉🤣🤣🤣

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We already have dust rules for 5 intensities and vehicle dust in F11.7. What more do you need?

Most items can be dealt with by applying existing SSRs from previous scenarios or re-using rules for other things. Think about the game mechanic you want to impact and make it simple. For example "Extreme humidity" you may want to prohibit A4.5 double time. Or maybe the game effects you want are the same as rain, so just write an SSR that it is raining. ASL is a Design for Effect game. Your SSRs should be too.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Most items can be dealt with by applying existing SSRs from previous scenarios or re-using rules for other things. Think about the game mechanic you want to impact and make it simple. For example "Extreme humidity" you may want to prohibit A4.5 double time. Or maybe the game effects you want are the same as rain, so just write an SSR that it is raining. ASL is a Design for Effect game. Your SSRs should be too.
A tried and true method. Don't need to re-invent the wheel, but maybe rotate the tires (or even fix the roads)

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You think I have a Rosetta Stone for this?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Frank, do you write job descriptions for Indeed, Glassdoor, etc.?

Last edited:

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, but your good at explaining things and I figured if anybody could decipher this might be you.
Nadda a chance, you, me and Stan the dog are in the dark, maybe our threader here could post an example of his in hex Extreme humidity DRM rules. Wait, I know who can save us on this, someone page Rock Sgt Dann.

Chris_Riches

Reaction score
Country
ll
Frank,

I appreciate your concern at posting here, but it is pleasing to see people being polite. I have been in similar situations where I’ve suggested some nuance and get trolled immediately.

Having played the game for over 40 years and seen the coming and going of various options, ASL-alternative systems, SASL etc, I do echo the prior comments that the community probably isn’t going to welcome your amendments with open arms. Not that they don’t like you or your ideas (and it sounds like no-one but you has seen them), but there is just too much invested in the current system, and, more to the point, it works.

A change that is minimal is effort for no real reward. A change that’s a biggie needs a huge amount of thinking through to test for unintended consequences and probably isn’t going to be universally welcomed by the vast majority who love the system. I’ve tried house rules over the years and always, always come back to playing the game ‘as written’.

So, have a great time with what works for you. Take pleasure in that. But if you’re not getting your arm bitten off by “top ranked” players willing to take up your offer then maybe there’s a message there.

FrankH.

Reaction score
We already have dust rules for 5 intensities and vehicle dust in F11.7. What more do you need?
OK good comment and good question. This dust however is mostly of a different type. It is created in specific hexes due to various events in battle. Perhaps it might be better termed as battle dust (/dirt?/flying debris?), the dust (/dirt?/flying debris?) of battle. I say "mostly" because there is a bit of overlap in that the appearance and the effects are similar, and I refer to the F11.7 dust rules. And while not the same as smoke, and not governed by the rules for smoke, it tends to disperse like smoke disperses, and therefore its rules are similar to those for smoke. In all it is affected by Environmental Conditions.