So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Won as the Chinese in ASL 217 Gloster Hill. British player gave up at the top of T3. I split the CPVA force into three, coming in all concealed w/all the MGs on the west, about 6 squads from the north and 4 squads from the east, with the T1/T2 reinforcements coming in on T1, on the eastern side of the south edge. The eastern force turned the flank vs the Walking Wounded HS, while the others approached cautiously. Dropped concealment on the 2xMMGs/9-1 on Brit T1 DFPh and got a 1MC on an 8+1 shot on the 9-2 and 1-2-7/MMG, who rolled a 6,6 and 6,5. Disaster. The rest of the game was average, but when he couldn't rally the wounded 9-2 on T3, the Brit commander threw in the towel.

I think the Brits have to fire, fire, fire and deploy, deploy, deploy. Sit in the foxholes and set up the T4 exit. Those negative mod shots, even at concealed units assault moving on Steep Hills (-1) and esp in Boresighted hexes with a leader should whittle the CPVA down.

As it was, the unfortunate dice really skewed this one.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are 3 scenarios from Backblast that have yet to see actual inclusion in a modern MMP publication.
There are 12-14 ASLUG scenarios that could be available, but Fortenberry's permission would be required.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished up on a great oldie RB1 ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO via PBEM against a good friend made over the course of CyberVasl tourneys (this was just a friendly game though). All said, given the size of the scenario and the time frame we gave to play it (quite a few holidays & family/personal matters interrupted our usual exchange of logs), it went pretty fast with only 100 logs between us. My buddy had only perused these RB scenarios before & drooled in anticipation of perhaps playing one or all of them some day; I was more than willing to oblige his wish as I had played the CG several times but few of the scenarios. It was a terse affair with my Germans making good initial headway but eventually being stuffed by a stout and admirable defense. As usual almost everything happened to include a BH & Hero created Commissar, a Russian Sniper (SAN=5) that refused to come out & play until the very last turns, A Luftwaffe that refused to fly (except a single flight of 2xStukas that both promptly failed their STC-needing a 10 for Pete's sake) and sundry happenings that seem endemic to Stalingrad. Not much else to be said for this classic that hasn't been said before except we had a great time and were rewarded with much fun, consternation, exhilaration, despondency and satisfaction but overall the joy of having played one of the greats in ASL scenarios. Congratulations to my friend on his victory and I hope it leaves you yearning for more. As always a highly recommended scenario, don't let the size deter you from its experience.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Just finished up on a great oldie RB1 ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO via PBEM against a good friend made over the course of CyberVasl tourneys (this was just a friendly game though). All said, given the size of the scenario and the time frame we gave to play it (quite a few holidays & family/personal matters interrupted our usual exchange of logs), it went pretty fast with only 100 logs between us. My buddy had only perused these RB scenarios before & drooled in anticipation of perhaps playing one or all of them some day; I was more than willing to oblige his wish as I had played the CG several times but few of the scenarios. It was a terse affair with my Germans making good initial headway but eventually being stuffed by a stout and admirable defense. As usual almost everything happened to include a BH & Hero created Commissar, a Russian Sniper (SAN=5) that refused to come out & play until the very last turns, A Luftwaffe that refused to fly (except a single flight of 2xStukas that both promptly failed their STC-needing a 10 for Pete's sake) and sundry happenings that seem endemic to Stalingrad. Not much else to be said for this classic that hasn't been said before except we had a great time and were rewarded with much fun, consternation, exhilaration, despondency and satisfaction but overall the joy of having played one of the greats in ASL scenarios. Congratulations to my friend on his victory and I hope it leaves you yearning for more. As always a highly recommended scenario, don't let the size deter you from its experience.
A classic. No doubt about it.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great one.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My mistake, there are 17 ASLUG scenarios that could be printed by MMP with Fortenberry's permission.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished AP172 Hickory Lickin’ recently with Rich Domovic. Late war Americans attacking Germans in an “alligator chomp” hammer-and-anvil. VC was for Germans to have one GO MMC in a stone building w/in a two-hex radius of BB7

Both sides have an array of infantry, weaponry and AFVs. Some of the attacking American infantry set up on board; the rest roll-in as turn 1 reinforcements and includes five Shermans. The Germans get their own turn 1 beefy reinforcements in the form of 2xPzIV, a HT and 3x548, 8-1.

As the defending German, I was fortunate to break up a platoon attack on the German left flank that left one American squad DM most of the game and another one was CR-ed. Taking the pressure off this side gave me some space to rally some guys and get them back in the fight. Throughout the game the Germans took some lumps, but were able to dole some out right back – helped by the American 6ML. A key for the German was to take every (decent) opportunity to KO any tank it could. I was concerned these guys could tie me up and smother me with those high-FP squads. The defenders had excellent success and was able to KO all five by the final turn with no AFV losses of their own. With some broken squad recycling, the Germans used the AFV to set up a screen, lay some SD smoke to allow several squads to fulfill the VCs by holing up in AA9.

End game

A very entertaining scenario. Very tight for both sides. As the German, I was constantly feeling the walls were going cave in at any moment. I got fortunate dealing with the American tanks which was huge. This one could have gone either way. A big thank you to Rich for a great game. Currently 6-5 on ROAR.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This one is on my list to play. I have already received the setup from my opponent and are overdue to do mine.

von Marwitz

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My mistake, there are 17 ASLUG scenarios that could be printed by MMP with Fortenberry's permission.
Yes, it would would be great to see "Out of the Attic 3". In addition to some of the old scenarios, I think there are a few articles that could be in there as well. One I like is "The Geometry of ASL". True, the article is available online; but it's still a great article, and maybe it could be expanded on.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Couple of games I've finished recently

J113 Maczek Fire Brigade I played this classic against Magnus Rimvall. I was the defending Poles. I managed to fake up front setup with my dummies and Magnus deployed his units into the woods area on board 17 and woods road on Hill board 50, only a couple of tanks were harassing the polish middle board. I managed to keep my defense in good co-ordination and never lost a the foothold I had in the middle of board, and Magnus gave up on turn 5. I thin the German needs to make bold first move to challenge the board 17 village -an indirect approach will run out of time.

Second time playing his one and I could be talked to play it for the third time, great mix of troops and the timing of the scenario is just genius. The twin MG turret Vickers tanks are murderous things against
German infantry and are dangerous ot the lightly armored German AFVs

FT75 Unexpected Fire an older LFT bocage offering where i played to attacking British against SS commanded by Matias Dahbäck.. Early into the game it was frustrating as the puny British firepower did not make any impression on SS squads hiding behind Bocage. However a crack developed on the British right side and I managed to out flank the defenders and deploy my reinforcemnts there. German reinforcing Panther and a pair if Fireflies dueled and I got lucky to dispatch the Panther. On the last game turn 6 I fulfilled the British VC by getting enough units on the board 11 hill. I was however one Shemar Short of the CVP cap.

Matias had one DM fanatic broken German 658 two hexes of one of my Shermans. He used his self rally to rally the squad. On prepfire he went for PFs - firs one missed by one pip, but the second one was ahit and I lost exactly 38CVP needed fot the CVP cap. An very interesting scenario and an exiting finish.

Last edited:

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Q18 Take the Crossroads Played this Normandy scenario with my good friend Rob Wirthlin. Rob's Germans set up to defend VP buildings on board 17 while my Americans entered from off board. I split my force taking my 9-1 and MMG squads up the left flank with mortar support while the rest of my force went right. Despite not getting an WP, my mortars were very productive softening the left flank defenders taking WA on the row O bocage. This allowed me to get my 9-1 and MMGs up to the bocage followed by reinforcements including my 747s and a FT. This was too much for Rob's half squad defenders. My right flank penetrated into the woods early taking two VP buildings but they ran right into the teeth of Rob's defense with fortified building in R5 and S6 and his INF gun in T6. My right flank collapsed routing back into the woods where they would be out for a few turns but I reinforced them with 3 x 666s and an 8-1. By the end of Turn 5, I was over the Bocage on the left flank and had 7/10 VPs in building hexes but I only had one more turn to get 3 VP. My only prep was the FT which managed to break up the last defenders in the fortified R5 building. I would be able to take it in the Advance Phase. I had not taken any casualties and my right flank had finally rallied up for the last dash for two more VPs. Rob laid down fire lanes and residual with his last few squads and MMG from S6 but his INF gun went cold. I just had too many squads and all my leader's were in good order. I was able to CX my way into the last 2 VPs.

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played RO1 Blood on the Tracks, over a number of evenings on VASL.

This one is given as pretty pro-Russian on ROAR. It's hard to decide how many playings were done with the scenario erratum, which is a pretty big one (VC for the Germans essentially go from "do this and that" to "do this or that"; more specifically, "this" is "leave no Good Order MMC in this area" and "that" is "control a building in that other area"), but we went with the German balance.

The Germans have to push through a densely packed area of wooden buildings ("this" area) towards the factories to the east ("that" area). They have plenty of tools to do it: good mix of 467 and 468, good leader support (10-2), MGs, 100m OBA; with more on the way (838, 9-2, DCs, FT; a pair of Stugs). The Russians have an all-elite force to try and prevent them, with some fortifications (wire, mines, fortified buildings, trenches), and less-elite reinforcements coming from the factories (but the Germans have three turns of Stukas to slow down the reinforcements).

Oh, and the Germans have to cross a Boulevard on their first impulse, with the Russians watching.

I was the Germans. I managed to push hard on the first turns, most everything going according to plan except the OBA didn't manage to drop an early FFE (with a continuous terrain of lvl 1 buildings, and no lvl 2 terrain available, the radio cannot be placed so as to see any ground level; I had to target the few lvl 1 locations or factory tops, with the possibility that the SR would land behind a factory and be out of sight). The Russians started falling back towards the second north-south road and the factories, running the risk of being unable to rout away.

The Russians had positioned Trenches on both the South and North ends of the "this" area, as possible routing and reinforcements ways. My initial push on the north side was strong enough to capture the northern Trench and place a LMG there (an MMG would have been better as it could have reached the trench on the other side).

When my 10-2 emerged from the buildings area with his MG squads (MMG+HMG), he was met by the Russian 9-2 and two squads with MMGs, HIP on a factory rooftop (and far from my OBA SRs). This kinda stopped my impulse as even the 10-2 broke.

On my 6th turn (out of 7) I managed to enter the fortified building to the south with a single Pioneer squad (and FT), thanks to a lot of smoke. On their last turn the Russians managed to cross two (LMG) Fire Lanes to reinforce the main victory area with several squads in an area where I was a bit weaker; but while doing so, they left one of the factories on the other side defended only by the 9-2 and his one remaining squad (armed with two MMGs by then) on the rooftop. My last turn Prep Fire wounded the 9-2 and broke the squad (the 10-2 had returned), and this left the path open for a quick capture of the factory.

So, German victory after all, but this was in good part because my opponent failed to see the possibility of a quick factory capture (he could have prevented it by leaving a single reinforcement squad in a corner). Also, my attack to the south was only made possible because a FFE cleared a Wire next to a fortified building that I could not have attacked otherwise.

Overall, the scenario is tough on the Germans, but it's still pretty pleasant to play - the map and Stalingrad terrain really set the mood, and the elite Russians are a tough nut to crack.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After seeing Craig's AAR of Hickory Lickin, AP172, I decided to give this a go myself with my friend Rich V. . I had the Americans and Rich the Germans. I found it a very counter dense fight, FtF. We knocked over many a stack inadvertently with our old shaky hands, but it was very well balanced. No surprise as Andy Rogers is the designer on this. I slowly constricted the Germans out of the VC area, until on the final turn's CC, I had some sleaze freezed Germans who had to roll a 1-4 snake eyes against my Americans. Nothing else would win the game, including me rolling box cars, because the only hexes he could withdraw to, would have been non-building hexes. Rich got to roll first as I had the sleaze freezing Germans, sleaze freezed and though he did not ambush me, due to an extra pip against him for having a pinned unit in the hex. Still, the presence of the AFV made it sequential. Sure enough, Snakes!!!. God I hate this game. As the AFV was in motion, he was not held in melee and therefore was good order. German win. Rich played a good game and we had a lot of fun along the way.

As for the scenario, I think it is a good one, though I would rather play it on VASL.

Last edited: