Hollow Legions reprint, Will you play the desert?

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Wait. So a desert that was not natural and was returning to its natural state was restored to its unnatural state in the name of conservation. HUH?
View attachment 18034
If you'll live in Poland a couple of years, you'll get used to it.

Seriously though, guess it's more of a conservation of man-made work (like castles, old buildings and so forth). Also mind you that most of the modern forestry is also man-made, and we fight for them growing more and more (for different reasons).

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A "Pollok joke" would seem to be appropriate here (speaking as a man with Polish ancestry, among others).
There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that Pollock's action painting technique inspired Oddball to fill artillery rounds with paint.🙄

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A "Pollok joke" would seem to be appropriate here (speaking as a man with Polish ancestry, among others).
Jackson Pollock and two dm 81mm mortars walk into a bar:

The bartender says: What'll be tonight gents?

Pollock replies: My two friends are trying to get it together and get some action. Me, I'm just out to paint the town.☹

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Jackson Pollock and two dm 81mm mortars walk into a bar:

The bartender says: What'll be tonight gents?

Pollock replies: My two friends are trying to get it together and get some action. Me, I'm just out to paint the town.☹
Pollock jokes aren't that easy!🤣

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, I'll speak for the silent majority: NO.

Signed,

Turd in Punchbowl
That's okay.

We hit the preorder number. All we need now are the boxes to be shipped (unfortunately later than sooner :( ).

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ll play anything you guys put out in another RPT ;)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One of my favorite scenarios is Khamsin. After going through a few monster sandstorms in Saudi Arabia, I can understand what a pain in the azz it is to fight in them.
Pain, in the physical sense too. Sand "storms" were a routine occurrence during the evening in some parts of Somalia. They came on like clockwork, but were generally short-lived.

However, a mercifully brief sandstorm I experienced in Egypt literally sandblasted us, so much so, that we couldn't do anything but try to cover up until it passed. It came on quickly as a towering bank of sand akin to a creeping barrage, only higher. That'd be something to model in an ASL scenario: a creeping-sandstorm, TI-inducing "barrage."

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
One of my favorite scenarios is Khamsin. After going through a few monster sandstorms in Saudi Arabia, I can understand what a pain in the azz it is to fight in them.
I here ya on that. In the years in Saudi and Bahrain I found watching a sandstorm approach was something awe inspiring.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Sandstorms in the Emerites and Saudi are no fun for sure!

MTL

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Happily play DTO - it's great, dusty fun. Sure, there's almost no cover - but vehicle dust (often with platoon movement) will help screen your approach towards the enemy when attacking. The terrain makes trucks and ACs really, really mobile as well - 1MP in open ground! You soon get used to the hamada and dust rolls. If you fancy giving it a go, I'd recommend High Danger (from VFTT: https://www.vftt.co.uk/vfttpdf_scens/v01_high_danger2010.pdf) It plays pretty quick.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been around since the original Squad Leader days (and I still suck at this game but that's another story... :))...yet I had never played a desert scenario.

Ever.

Until a month or so ago when my long-time CG opponent and I wanted to try something new...and we ended up playing the mini-CG A Line in the Sand.

Turns out it was kind of fun and a nice change of pace...plus the rules were not that difficult to wrap my old brain around.

Granted I still suck at this game...but now at least the suckage is spread around an additional theater of war...:D