#44: Point D'Appui

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Glad to see some US wins. My game was fun but not for the usual reasons.

When viewing 'Kelly's Heroes" it is important to remember it is very much an anti-war film, not surprising as it was made in 1970.

Oddball (with so many great lines) is the clearly the most appealing character.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brest-Litovsk (Sp) First day of the war I believe. Pretty sure there is a scenario on it. :)

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
To The Soldiers of the Ostfront

Ola Nygards (On Top Scenarios ID: ON13)

Brest-Litovsk, Russia 1941-06-22

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having seen Gerry's game against Dave Mareske (question - does the pronunciation end in "skee" or "sk"? My guess is the former while Dave R uses the latter), I fired off a rant to Dave and Martin about how moving the SPW 250/9 up to 3G3 (as shown below) is pert-near a scenario breaker, as far as I could tell. Assuming it can dodge a BAZ shot to get there (pretty good odds, given the moving small target with +1 LV hindrance), the SPW can get there on German turn 2, at which point they have all game to shower the victory hex with 9 FP, and there's hardly a thing the US can do about it. Maybe fire back with the 9-2 and a squad/MMG once they found some cover, but that'd be a 6+1 shot vs a ML8 CE crew, which isn't all that good, given the importance of keeping the VC hex and its environs clear of enemy fire. If you don't manage to dig a foxhole in the VC hex, good luck.

Kudos to Dave for sussing this out.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
It was an excellent move and my own DRs with MCs and CCs didn't help my cause (avg Rally 8.64 by turn 4, MC avg 8.15, no inf smoke). The best counter, besides a HS with a Baz on the right to deter the move, is to tuck the US troops out of the way in the area of the VC hex or shift some US infantry to O5 area to block a flanking ht and S/HS w/ SMC.

Last edited:

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
This was a very interesting format for a video - lots of quick replays of the same scenario really show how different strategies work - though the dice gods can always ruin a perfect plan at their whim...

Reactions: MTL