HALFTRACKS

wlee123

Reaction score
First name
Woody
Country
llUnited States
I want to learn to use halftracks in ASL and do not have any experience with them. Any recommendations for a good scenario that involves loading/unloading/firing from halftracks to force me to learn the rules? (Not to mention scrounging weapons from them) There seem to be a lot of rule subtleties with them and I would like to get some experience with them. Thanks in advance. - Woody

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
How complex are you willing to tackle? One of my favorites is AP81 Lost Highway but that's graduate level ASL. The attacker has a lot to do and must be working on all objectives at one time to have any chance. Both sides have Half-Tracks, but for the Americans, knowing when to load and unload is part of what it takes to win. This is a tough scenario though. -- jim

wlee123

Reaction score
First name
Woody
Country
llUnited States
I would prefer if it did not have a lot of other chrome hung on it (OBA, Aircraft, Barrages, etc...) just so I can focus on the HT's. But thanks for the recommendation. I will take a look at it Jim!

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I seem to recall, many years back, Shoot N Scoot being such a scenario. I could be totally wrong. But worth checking it out. Seem to recall significant numbers of halftracks for both sides.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
There aren't too many scenarios where both sides have halftracks, or where they are a major component.

* the CG of Hatten in Flames has a lot of halftracks in the German purchase tables, and they're rather efficient. But of course a CG may not be where you want to use halftracks for "training" :)

* one scenario that I played recently, and liked, and that has several halftracks on the German side if FrF87 Mormal Forest. Early war, with nimble German haltracks against heavier French R-35. It does have a single turn of Air support though.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If you can find a copy, Recon by Fire Issue 2 has an article in it on how to use halftracks. Several of the scenarios in the issue also include halftracks.
I was trying to sort out what issue that was from. -- jim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Most of the time, the best tactic is to unload from the bl***y thing before it comes under enemy fire.
"Purple heart box" was a well deserved nickname for halftracks.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
First thing to know is that in ASL halftrack = ht. HT = Heavy Tank. :)

Wintergewitter (forget the ID) has some German hts (or is it just one?) - that could be an option.
I couldn't remember which is which so I just spelled it out ;) I knew you would be lurking here just to catch me with the wrong abbreviation. :D -- jim

wlee123

Reaction score
First name
Woody
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for all the feedback. I will check these out. I think I have a copy of the ht (proper abbreviation noted, thanks!) article somewhere and will dig it out again. Cheers! - Woody

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
I want to learn to use halftracks in ASL and do not have any experience with them. Any recommendations for a good scenario that involves loading/unloading/firing from halftracks to force me to learn the rules?
If it's about learning the rules, you don't necessarily have to play a scenario. I used to set up little mini-scenarios if I wanted to learn and practice some new rules e.g. 3 half-tracks, 3 squads vs. 3 squads and a MMG defending a building, you have to capture the building. That lets you focus on just the rules, without getting caught up with all the other stuff going on in a scenario.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unlike others, I prefer to couch my advice in terms of Lyrics From The George Michael Wham! Era:

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

You put the Halftracks into my OB
I send them out in front
to satisfy the VC

Enemy gunners take aim
They go a bang-bang-bang
and I skitter away

ATR's bug me
So does Street Fight
My Armor Leader
makes my DR's alright

Brew me up? That's a no-no
My VBM needs rolling low-low
You don't wanna miss me when I pull aside
Taking chances tonight....

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try Scenario U5 Point D'Appui from A GI Dozen. Small scenario with US infantry defending against a German ht mounted attack. Give the US balance
I'll respectfully disagree. IMO there's a way for the Germans to use the SPW 250/9 that the US really can't counter, as Dave Mareske did against you in your IR Tourney game. We'll hash that out in the comments of an upcoming Illuminating Rounds thread, I'm sure, when Dave and Martin review all the playings of this scenario in the tournament.

For my own HT Scenario Recommendation, I like A70 Wintergewitter, but the HTs play a secondary role to the tanks. On the bright side, if you play JR Tracy in this one, you have a chance ;-)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, now that the Jitterbug EarBug has left my system (and probably entered yours, sorry), I can focus on good HT tactics. Sorry Tuomo, I like "HT" for Halftrack better than ht.

They're great for throwing Crew Smoke, zooming around the flanks and cutting rout paths, getting Encircling shots, and keeping brokies DM. Yes, in a pinch they're also great for VBM or TPBF Freezing enemy units, but as always, you need to be OK with losing the HT to a CCRF roll - they're Open Topped so they get a -2 DRM to the roll, so make sure you keep them in Motion to counterbalance that with a +2.

One thing I've rarely done with them is use them as mobile platforms for squads, but that's just because I haven't played the right scenarios. That lovely +2 CE DRM amounts to the Passengers getting the benefit of a Wooden Building that comes along wherever they go. Toss in an infantry or even armor leader to direct the fire and that's some Style Points right there. I'd be interested in hearing about scenarios that feature THIS, because it sounds like great fun.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I want to learn to use halftracks in ASL and do not have any experience with them. Any recommendations for a good scenario that involves loading/unloading/firing from halftracks to force me to learn the rules? (Not to mention scrounging weapons from them) There seem to be a lot of rule subtleties with them and I would like to get some experience with them. Thanks in advance. - Woody
Here’s a few ideas:
  1. They can firegroup with infantry
  2. Lots of times it’s best to drive into bypass then unload into a nice building hex.
  3. Read the special rules on every halftrack before you play. Some get free 1/2 squads (inherent in vehicle) or an ATR or a BAZ or a PSK or a HMG ect...
  4. I like to use them aggressively and send them off on some mission behind enemy lines.

Last edited:

Gamer72

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
DftB 31 Roadside Assistance has a lot of halftracks in it, worth a play.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Unlike others, I prefer to couch my advice in terms of Lyrics From The George Michael Wham! Era:

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

Huh-HUH-huh Halftracks

You put the Halftracks into my OB
I send them out in front
to satisfy the VC

Enemy gunners take aim
They go a bang-bang-bang
and I skitter away

ATR's bug me
So does Street Fight
My Armor Leader
makes my DR's alright

My VBM needs rolling low-low
You don't wanna miss me when I pull aside
Taking chances tonight....
This isn't up to your usual standards. Perhaps we are just spoiled by your normal. -- jim