DTW Map respray?

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I was browsing some of the HASL maps and came across the CH DTW board. I was wondering how hard it would be to give that map a fresh lick of paint and tried some colour ideas out on a sample area. The screenshot has before and after colours in it. The smashed roof is just a bit of artistic licence on my part based on the debris placement. I don't have access to the physical version of this map.

Is this map even in use these days? If it was and enough people were interested, I might finish the job.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Wow. I had no idea that version of the map was so ancient. Postscript-generated!

I would assume that to get the map redone (i.e., get a scan of the original and then adapt it for VASL) would first require someone actually enthusiastic about the DTW scenarios/CG, which (from what I've heard) would be a rarity indeed.

Colouring in the current version of the map might make it slightly more attractive to look at, but still pretty useless to actually play on. If you've got that much enthusiasm, you should at least use the actual map graphics.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
As I said, I don't have access to the original map graphics. In addition, although the possibility of making maps interests me, have no experience with the process and I doubt that a map that size would be the place to start. All was was doing here was slapping a bit of lipstick on the pig to make it look less eye-jarringly awful. I won't waste any more time on it.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
would first require someone actually enthusiastic about the DTW scenarios/CG, which (from what I've heard) would be a rarity indeed.
Is it that bad? I have a copy sitting unplayed and if it's a dog eBay bekcons...........

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Is it that bad? I have a copy sitting unplayed and if it's a dog eBay bekcons...........
Absolutely dreadful. Get rid of it asap. Forget about eBay; I'll give you a fiver for it. ;)

Seriously though, I've no idea. A quick skim of DM's review suggests it's not highly thought of although the map seems to keep appearing in other products. I checked two of the scenarios as a sample and none appears in ROAR, if that's anything to go by.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well - he likes the map:

"It features a large, very attractive hand-painted historical map of the Tractor Works area."

But as for a review of the ASL bit:

"Opinion on this game is sharply divided between detractors and fans; in the end, it may come down to subjective and individual preferences."

I'll keep it Paul until I am old (well older) and frail and then you can have it for free :)

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have played several of the DTW scenarios (most have two different versions that I am aware of) and found them every bit as good as the original Red Barricades scenarios.

There are problems. My one map had smaller than nomal hexsides. A second map had normal hexsides, but cut off original hexes on the borders (which affected some scenarios). The artwork is primitive by today's standards.

These are the scenarios that I played. They have two versions ala Critical Hit.

Dzerhezinsky is also incorrectly spelled, the correct name is Dzerzhinsky.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I was browsing some of the HASL maps and came across the CH DTW board. I was wondering how hard it would be to give that map a fresh lick of paint and tried some colour ideas out on a sample area. The screenshot has before and after colours in it. The smashed roof is just a bit of artistic licence on my part based on the debris placement. I don't have access to the physical version of this map.

View attachment 17714

Is this map even in use these days? If it was and enough people were interested, I might finish the job.

Hm, don't know anything about these ancient CH maps, however...

Some time ago there was a guy from the UK, Perry Pender, who did some nice Stalingrad maps. I think he made it his mission to create pretty much all of the riverfront that wasn't covered yet by MMP's Red Barricades, Red October, and Valor of the Guards maps.

Right here and here you can find some of his maps that I believe could be linked to those of MMP. More precisely, one of these maps is Perry Pender's 'Grain Elevator' map, the other one links it to MMP's VotG map.

I cannot remember, if other maps exist somewhere, nor am I even sure if he worked on a 'Tractor Works' map or planned to do so. But maybe someone else does. Perry Pender himself, while quite active for a while, has gone silent in this forum for more than a year, though.

von Marwitz

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Perry Pender himself, while quite active for a while, has gone silent in this forum for more than a year, though.
Von Marwitz - Perry has given up the hobby. I bought all his kit from eBay and am currently sorting through it keeping the stuff that I want and selling on the rest. In fact Paul (holdit) has just bought some of it from me. Hence his joke about giving me a fiver for DTW..........

I tried to persuade Perry to keep the stuff but the quote was "I've lost me mojo mate" :) He was playing someone on VASL who disappeared - turned out that he had died. It put him off the game.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well it's not like VASL killed him.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Von Marwitz - Perry has given up the hobby. I bought all his kit from eBay and am currently sorting through it keeping the stuff that I want and selling on the rest. In fact Paul (holdit) has just bought some of it from me. Hence his joke about giving me a fiver for DTW..........
Joe, Shuri arived today, by the way .

👍👍👍

Chris_Riches

Reaction score
Country
ll
I had the original and binned it, but I got tempted back and like the new version (To the Volga! 1). I have posted my thoughts on BGG. I haven’t played enough times to say whether the scenarios are wonderfully balanced, but I certainly have enjoyed them, and the new map is way better than the old one...and has decent size hexes. I know there used to be some smaller scenarios that featured the German attack in the SW corner of the map, which aren’t in this version, so I may just do a smaller slice of the big whole-map scenario. Each to their own, but I play the game for enjoyment and this module hit the spot for me.

Last edited:

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Paul - meant to ask, how was the packaging? I was worried that putting it in just an envelope with a card back might be too flimsy...........
Absolutely fine - I've also had a lot of other stuff e.g. scenarios & chapter H pages delivered in similar packages with no problems.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Paul - meant to ask, how was the packaging? I was worried that putting it in just an envelope with a card back might be too flimsy...........
As an ex shipping clerk I find your concern about the package's condition upon arrival very commendable. Good for the consumer also. Well done.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hm, don't know anything about these ancient CH maps, however...

Some time ago there was a guy from the UK, Perry Pender, who did some nice Stalingrad maps. I think he made it his mission to create pretty much all of the riverfront that wasn't covered yet by MMP's Red Barricades, Red October, and Valor of the Guards maps.

Right here and here you can find some of his maps that I believe could be linked to those of MMP. More precisely, one of these maps is Perry Pender's 'Grain Elevator' map, the other one links it to MMP's VotG map.

I cannot remember, if other maps exist somewhere, nor am I even sure if he worked on a 'Tractor Works' map or planned to do so. But maybe someone else does. Perry Pender himself, while quite active for a while, has gone silent in this forum for more than a year, though.

von Marwitz
Yes he gave up on ASL for the monster eastern front games , he was redoing a PTO historical map for me when he gave up and still has the original map that he was redoing and all the original scenarios and background too, still not got it back.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes he gave up on ASL for the monster eastern front games , he was redoing a PTO historical map for me when he gave up and still has the original map that he was redoing and all the original scenarios and background too, still not got it back.
I regret that you have not received back your material. This is quite unpleasant and hard to understand even if he decided to switch hobbies.

Out of interest:
What particular game do you mean with 'eastern front games'? Did a quick search, but expectedly, with that search query I did not get any precise results.

von Marwitz

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Whats really needed is someone with the 'To The Volga 1' map to scan it and nicely ask one of the map elves to wrestle it onto a VASL map grid