AP128 - Flight of Fancy - is there a trick or is it permanently Broken?

THE GOOD
novel idea of broken reinforcements
THE BAD
Too easy for a German win if the look at the VCs firstly
BALANCE
1.00 star(s)
ORIGINALITY
3.00 star(s)
FUN
1.00 star(s)
REPLAYABILITY
1.00 star(s)
COMPLEXITY
Average
PLAYER'S VERDICT

1 'Abysmal'

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Parent Module
Action Pack 13
Hi all

After the fantastic youtube of Dave Ramsey and Martin I dived into AP13 and one of their top recommends was this flight pf fancy
The appeal was the fact that reos enter broken (a new idea) and the new river board in play

Duncan and I launced into it but it seems a problem for British Victory from the Outset!

As quoted by Duncan (The German Victor)

"Actually I'll say now what I suspected from the outset. I think the scenario as published is broken. I couldn't say earlier as I wanted to prove it and to do so couldn't let you in on the plan. But having worked out that the British VP max is 16, and in reality 12 is more feasible (4 S of the river, very tough) the German tactic is obviously to get 17 or more VP S of the river, and it really isn't too hard. If the German plays for this I really don't know what the Brit can do about it - hence broken scenario. I know I got silly dice, (addition here by macrobo: the on board German delaying force rolled lethal and broke the entire company attacking up the edge of the river) but even so I don't reckon you could have done it. The sacrificial force doesn't have to be large to really slow down the Brits. The solution seems to me to be earlier entry of the Brit reos."

So Out there in ROAR 19 German wins to 7 British - how they won I do not know - now 20 German wins when I add it

Comments from the masses would be helpful!

Cheers

Rob

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't played the scenario, so this is just uninformed opinion. :)

The German initial force totals 19 non-crew Infantry Exit VP, so moving 17 south of the river leaves only one squad behind to aid the two Guns, right? The British can bring the Q4-Q6 bridge under fire from AA2; a MMG and two squads attack with 8FP, and would leave 2FP (+1 "hexside" bridge TEM) and FFMO/FFNAM would apply to any German units moving through that RFP. That should slow down any rush across that bridge. The British would also have to move a couple squads to cover the I4-I6 bridge; a 1FP firelane is a good deterrent.

I think the British would have to use 4 HS to hunt down the broken reinforcements. If all six 447s were in woods/building with leaders, on average less than one will rally in RPh3a. The British need to keep them DM.

One problem is the armor. Smoke from German tanks (sD5, sN9, and s8) will make it easier for German Infantry to cross the bridges. I'd not want to try to attack those PzIV with Shermans at 2:2 odds.

I can see that this would be hard on the British if the German player runs significant forces south of the river, but I'm not sure I'd use "impossible", mainly because I've only spent 15 minutes studying the scenario.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The British MUST bring MG fire onto the bridge locations early. So hexes 79 AA2 and BB2 are crucial MMG spots (and both are accessible on turn 1.)
British have smoke as well, and should be thinking about crossing the Row Q bridge if the Germans make an early run for the row I bridge.

On the design side, I will say the timing of these reinforcements was particularly challenging-- but I wanted to do something different. Not sure I got it right, but it was playtested by some very good players who felt it was 'in range'.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The British MUST bring MG fire onto the bridge locations early. So hexes 79 AA2 and BB2 are crucial MMG spots (and both are accessible on turn 1.)
British have smoke as well, and should be thinking about crossing the Row Q bridge if the the Germans make an early run for the row I bridge.

On the design side, I will say the timing of these reinforcements was particularly challenging-- but I wanted to do something different. Not sure I got it right, but it was playtested by some very good players who felt it was 'in range'.
It will be interesting to hear the AAR if your advice is followed.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
British have smoke as well, and should be thinking about crossing the Row Q bridge if the the Germans make an early run for the row I bridge.

The Archive had seven playings with three British wins so doesn't seem that broken from those playings.

One of the Archive players was Tom Kearney. Is this Sgt. Kearney from bitd?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
probably - he is playing a lot these days.
I've related this story before. Fish brought Sgt. Kearney down to Ravenna when I lived there. Sarge chewed tobacco and had his spit cup on the table where we were playing. The whole scenario all I could think of was that spit cup being knocked over onto the boards!🤮

Nice guy but I am not into the chewing tobacco.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
An important thing to remember - The Germans must be good order at GAME END. So the Brits should keep after them.
Twenty three German wins to ten British wins doesn't sound anywhere close to a broken scenario to me. Thirty German to three British more of a broken scenario.

It may be challenging for the British but that is part of the fun, figuring out how to win.

Aside from that this scenario looks interesting and the broken units add an entirely different element to it. Pete I would have taken the British in a New York minute. Fish too most likely!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
You wouldn't by any chance have a VASL file for your game???