Would you rather be lucky or good?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You missed the rest: "Attack generated SAN, SAN activates, lands on the 30 FP kill stack, RS hits the 9-2, 9-2 dies to wound severity check, rest of the kill stack breaks due to LLMC". And yes, this has happened to me more than once. -- jim
And you're not bitter because you just play the game for the camaraderie..

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You missed the rest: "Attack generated SAN, SAN activates, lands on the 30 FP kill stack, RS hits the 9-2, 9-2 dies to wound severity check, rest of the kill stack breaks due to LLMC". And yes, this has happened to me more than once. -- jim
Well at least you are used to it.😉

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
And you're not bitter because you just play the game for the camaraderie..
Fuck camaraderie. ;)

There aren't many things I truly dislike in ASL, but top of the list is stuff I can't control. I don't mind losing when I make a mistake. I don't mind losing when I get out played. I can learn from those. But BS I can't control makes me want to burn the whole fucking kit. I give it to SK on this. They got one thing right. -- jim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Isn't the narrative power of ASL linked to some randomness and loss of control?
Isn't it what makes it so close to real life, where good and bad things happen?
If tactics are centered on adapting to a constantly changing situation, I would say that ASL works well.
Losing control is a reality which will augment along life.
I do find that simultaneously annoying and an occasion to grow some "philosophical indifference".
I prefer laugh with disdain at bad luck and chuckle when good luck knocks on my door.
It makes me look at the game I am playing as if it were a movie - and, admittedly, the movie can be mediocre at times, but so awesome at other occasions...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Fuck camaraderie. ;)

There aren't many things I truly dislike in ASL, but top of the list is stuff I can't control. I don't mind losing when I make a mistake. I don't mind losing when I get out played. I can learn from those. But BS I can't control makes me want to burn the whole fucking kit. I give it to SK on this. They got one thing right. -- jim
I suggest keeping some unwanted boards at hand to be ripped in half, mangled, mutilated and incinerated whenever these feelings overwhelm you. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤔🤔🤔😉😉😉🥰

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Is there a way to take luck out of ASL? Would it still be ASL? Would you want to play it no matter what it was called? Can you have randomness without luck?

Questions to be pondered with Captain Bacchus tonight. 🤔

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I suggest keeping some unwanted boards at hand to be ripped in half, mangled, mutilated and incinerated whenever these feelings overwhelm you. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤔🤔🤔😉😉😉🥰
It's really too bad. I just can't take ASL serious anymore. ASL is to gaming what figure skating is to sports (Hint: any activity which is judged is hardly a sport. No one has to guess who wins a real skill-based competition). -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I just can't take ASL serious anymore.
Hm, this may be one thing in where I started where you arrived. For me ASL has always been a game and I do not tend to take games too seriously (though admittedly they can rouse my temper in a given situation...).

ASL is to gaming what figure skating is to sports. -- jim
Really!? I bet you'd raise a murmur when you arrive at the next tournament with heavy make-up, a welded-on smile, and in a glitter suit. 🤣

von Marwitz

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh no. The agony was much longer drawn out--at least a couple of days. VOTG, Russians desperately clinging to every building they can, clustered into just a handful of buildings in the northeastern and southeastern parts of this board.

This group, in the NE corner--or, the survivors from this group (are there any, or are these reinforcements?), all 5-4-8 guards, clustered together, ready for the last desperate defense. My opponent lands a 150 OBA on them. Dead.

The funny thing is I had considered doing the exact same to him, but didn't. I wanted the damned buildings he occupied intact!

But, right before my 30 attack I learned what a flame thrower followed up by a 30 attack (my guys were going to be stealthy concealed Russians at night in close combat--that's how I found out the building contained engineers) can do.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, that didn't happen in this one.

But, when I played Russians in Onslaught to Orsha, I put my best Russian leader, a 9-2, in the most inaccessible location I could think of--somewhere he would be "safe," but still close enough to the front to rally and send back troops.

Yes, sniper finds him, he's dead. Lesson--never put a 9-2 leader in a hex by himself, and preferably in a location with a better TEM that the guy(s) he's with!

That's why the game's so much fun.

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Really!? I bet you'd raise a murmur when you arrive at the next tournament with heavy make-up, a welded-on smile, and in a glitter suit. 🤣
I think you missed the point. ASL isn't a game you can take seriously any more than skating is a sport you can take seriously. ASL is a time-sink, something you do when you have nothing better to do. Given the choice, I would rather wash my hair than play ASL. There is skill in ASL, I have no doubt of this, but you can't take it seriously like you can Go or Chess. Skill doesn't always determine the outcome and for that, ASL sucks balls. It feels like it should but it doesn't. If I want narrative, I'll read a book. -- jim

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think you missed the point. ASL isn't a game you can take seriously any more than skating is a sport you can take seriously. ASL is a time-sink, something you do when you have nothing better to do. Given the choice, I would rather wash my hair than play ASL. There is skill in ASL, I have no doubt of this, but you can't take it seriously like you can Go or Chess. Skill doesn't always determine the outcome and for that, ASL sucks balls. It feels like it should but it doesn't. If I want narrative, I'll read a book. -- jim
You still have hair??!!!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Enough hair to make a big deal out of washing it?🤔🤔

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All right. I'll take your kit. ;)

von Marwitz