So what scenarios have you played Recently?

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
AP 80 A Bloody Waste. First turn, the American attacker shoots WP at my HS+HMG+9-1 leader on the water tower in the back. Heat of Battle, Berserk. Now my 9-1 charges down the stairs and towards the Americans that have just appeared at the horizon. At least the HS failed their TC and decided to remain behind and keep shooting the MG...

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished up J152 Messenger Boys last night. Neat little scenario that has a German “Commissar” so it obviously must be played. John’s Elite Brits only brought one round of smoke which made it a doubly hard job. Came down to the last round of close combat. He needed to win 2 of 3 CC’s to get the last two needed victory buildings. I only needed to survive. He won one of the three and I squeaked out the win. Can’t ask much more from a scenario than that. Highly recommend this one.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Finished up J152 Messenger Boys last night. Neat little scenario that has a German “Commissar” so it obviously must be played. John’s Elite Brits only brought one round of smoke which made it a doubly hard job. Came down to the last round of close combat. He needed to win 2 of 3 CC’s to get the last two needed victory buildings. I only needed to survive. He won one of the three and I squeaked out the win. Can’t ask much more from a scenario than that. Highly recommend this one.
Interesting scenario. The German reinforcements are tough. Played this a while ago. Here is a link to the AAR of my playing.

von Marwitz

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I once sat next to a playing of J152 where the Brits had no less than 6 heroes. IiRC, they start with one.

Despite a two squads of Brit infantry stacked with three heroes and a minus leader wiping out Germans in the big building like a thresher mowing wheat, the Germans won the scenario.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played Roma2 Second Hand News against Rich Domovic in the VASL League tournament a few weeks ago. I had the defending Italian/Partisans and Rich the fleeing Germans. The Germans are a strong force with plenty of EVP potential including 2 x StuGs. The Partisans depended on their ability to delay the Germans who have to scoot to get off the board.

The Germans had little trouble shaking off attacks for about the first three turns. The Italian hammer posted on the hill included the 9-1, 2x447, MMG, Mtr. They did absolutely nothing other than break to the barrel-melting MMG and manning 548. I had at least figured some CVP help from them, but "lo zero." My best hope was to break and surround and capture the German rearguard, which it did. Though, a few were eliminated for FTR which cost me valuable CVP. Helping me stay in the game was the partisan leader that lit and then pitched a bottle of hooch onto one of the passing StuGs. In the end, it came down to a 6-1 CC capture attempt (+1) to "tie" the VP count which would give the Allies the victory. Unfortunately for the Allies, a "10" (net 11) meant a whiff and a win for the Germans.

Missed it by that much...

An interesting, quick playing scenario that was enjoyable. The Allies must stall the Germans and channel their exit. Personally, the Molotovs are totally overrated with street fighting at the choke points the better odds option. Too, take note that kindling is not NA and could prove useful. I tried a couple times on turn 1, but couldn't find my lighter. Further the Italians had no real chance to capture building VPs, for me anyway. They were a disaster on the hill, but redeemed themselves somewhat with the capture of some of the rearguard. All in all, a fun scenario. Thanks to Rich for an enjoyable and well-played game!

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Catching up on posting another outcome... Curtis Brooks and I recently wrapped up FT259 Alcazar! This was a swirling German vs. Polish three-boarder with the Germans needing to control two multi-hex buildings on board 12. If you like early war / tin cans, this one is worth a look.

The Germans and all their reinforcements come in on various board edges. They have one variable entry reinforcement group that can come in between turn 2 – 5. The Poles also get reinforcements on turns 3 and 4. Key to the Polish defense are two 40L AA Bofors that can punch a hole in any German AFV and with a ROF of 3. They are required they set up within a few hexes of four hexes leading into the village.

The German must seek out where these guns are while not becoming a smoking hulk of steel. I found one, but it wasn't a great shot for the Pole. On turn 2, I lost a PzI as I swarmed it. This was required as my turn infantry (in trucks) had to make it into the village outskirts. I was fortunate to have them arrive intact and break the gun crew. I edged through the village and captured one building as the Poles withdrew to the marketplace "block". By this time three reinforcing Polish tanks arrived. This made the prospect of crossing the street to assault the marketplace more of a challenge. In the meantime, the Germans were fortunate to eliminate one tank in CC.

My variable turn reinforcements arrived in turn 4. After a sleazing PzI was lost to the 10-2, 437, MMG in the church, this put the AFV ratio at 6:2. The Poles brought in 4x457s, 8-1 by two truck in turn 4. Unfortunately, I didn't have much to interdict them. One was a 4-1 shot which immobilized truck and broke one squad. While repositioning one of the Polish Vickers it received a stun. The straw that broke the Poles’ back was an advancing fire shot on a motorcycled 468 that HOBed to fanatic and created a hero. By this time, the one remining GO Polish 437 squad was looking at a whole lotta love via multiple tanks and infantry sent to roll up the building. At this point, the Poles had enough.

The Final Positions (Q8 is a known dummy stack)

We talked about this game a bit afterwards and we both really liked it. It is a madcap, free-flowing scenario with all of the action focused in the village. It’s made even better with poor-quality tanks on both sides. At the start, the Poles suffer with green troops. Though, the 4x457s could have made things more challenging had they made it to the village. Being able to interdict oncoming reinforcements could play a huge part of this scenario. However, any assets devoted to interdiction of reinforcements that show up on the opposite board could mean it isn't doing something else useful.

The Bofors could have really influenced the game with some better luck against tanks – and more importantly, trucks filled with precious infantry. As it was, losing only one tank (and creating smoke in its own hex) to the Bofors on its first shot was huge. The Germans also had an unlikely VIP: the 81 mtr that repeatedly smoked in the 10-2, 437, MMG along with a 237/ATR and another 437 in the church. An entertaining and challenging scenario. Another great effort from the LFT crew. Finally, a thank you to Curtis for another fine game.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played Roma2 Second Hand News against Rich Domovic in the VASL League tournament a few weeks ago. I had the defending Italian/Partisans and Rich the fleeing Germans. The Germans are a strong force with plenty of EVP potential including 2 x StuGs. The Partisans depended on their ability to delay the Germans who have to scoot to get off the board.

The Germans had little trouble shaking off attacks for about the first three turns. The Italian hammer posted on the hill included the 9-1, 2x447, MMG, Mtr. They did absolutely nothing other than break to the barrel-melting MMG and manning 548. I had at least figured some CVP help from them, but "lo zero." My best hope was to break and surround and capture the German rearguard, which it did. Though, a few were eliminated for FTR which cost me valuable CVP. Helping me stay in the game was the partisan leader that lit and then pitched a bottle of hooch onto one of the passing StuGs. In the end, it came down to a 6-1 CC capture attempt (+1) to "tie" the VP count which would give the Allies the victory. Unfortunately for the Allies, a "10" (net 11) meant a whiff and a win for the Germans.

Missed it by that much...
View attachment 17597

An interesting, quick playing scenario that was enjoyable. The Allies must stall the Germans and channel their exit. Personally, the Molotovs are totally overrated with street fighting at the choke points the better odds option. Too, take note that kindling is not NA and could prove useful. I tried a couple times on turn 1, but couldn't find my lighter. Further the Italians had no real chance to capture building VPs, for me anyway. They were a disaster on the hill, but redeemed themselves somewhat with the capture of some of the rearguard. All in all, a fun scenario. Thanks to Rich for an enjoyable and well-played game!
So the Germans lost a Stug and still managed to pull it off?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I failed to defend more stoutly in the village which allowed the German to slip through. Having one more squad there on the partisan right flank may well have prevented this.
The reason I ask is - we had a lot of discussion during playtest about the high value of the Stugs. Some said 'lose one and you're done'. But it looks like the risk/reward equation is fairly well balanced.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enjoyed a playing of AP162 The Governor from the latest AP16 with Curtis Brooks. Vichy French defending on board 60 which was nice – only recall one other scenario I played on it. VCs were Australians must control the I6 building and/or control ≥ 9 multi-hex buildings in 4.5 turns. Notable OB: 15 squads for the Aussies + 9-2; 12 squads for the Vichy plus two R-35s. I liked the looks of this scenario right away as the attacker has leeway on where to enter. This requires the defender to set up in a manner that provides the ability to shift quickly to meet the threat. This was certainly required as the Vichy expected the brunt of the attack from “top” edge of the board. In fact, most everything came in on the “lower-right”.

The Aussies entered as depicted in the image further below. The Vichy were willing to trade undefendable buildings to preserve forces. We both remarked how few casualties we had in this game – considering the close-in nature of the battle. It was an “artful” game in that it required solid infantry tactics and ASL gaming tricks to tilt improve a side’s odds.

It was a grinding yet persistent push for the Aussies, but time is not their friend. The Vichy were able to execute a fighting withdrawal and were able to rally up a few previously broken squads that made an impact in the game end. The Aussies used some nifty tricks to penetrate the ring around one of the VC buildings (2 x SMC OVR in O4), but strong defensive fire in the final turn pinned or broke a number of squads desperately needed in CC. As a result, gaining the final two buildings for the win was not possible. A narrow Vichy win.

End game

We both liked and recommend this scenario. It’s one that could go either way as the current record shows (6-5 Vichy favor). The wide entry area for the Aussies is a challenge for the Vichy, but the terrain favors the defenders. In retrospect, some Aussie forces -- even a few -- pressing from the top of the board edge may have cased the Vichy to pull some defenders away from the main defensive force thereby weakening their ability to handle the main Allied juggernaut. I suspect this scenario will see lots of play for its ability to pack in a lot of action and challenge in a relatively short, tight, highly-playable package. Thanks once again to Curtis for a great game!

Last edited:

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Enjoyed a playing of AP162 The Governor from the latest AP16 with Curtis Brooks. Vichy French defending on board 60 which was nice – only recall one other scenario I played on it. VCs were Australians must control the I6 building and/or control ≥ 9 multi-hex buildings in 4.5 turns. Notable OB: 12 squads for the Aussies + 9-2; 9 squads for the Vichy plus two R-35s. I liked the looks of this scenario right away as the attacker has leeway on where to enter. This requires the defender to set up in a manner that provides the ability to shift quickly to meet the threat. This was certainly required as the Vichy expected the brunt of the attack from “top” edge of the board. In fact, most everything came in on the “lower-right”.

The Aussies entered as depicted in the image further below. The Vichy were willing to trade undefendable buildings to preserve forces. We both remarked how few casualties we had in this game – considering the close-in nature of the battle. It was an “artful” game in that it required solid infantry tactics and ASL gaming tricks to tilt improve a side’s odds.

It was a grinding yet persistent push for the Aussies, but time is not their friend. The Vichy were able to execute a fighting withdrawal and were able to rally up a few previously broken squads that made an impact in the game end. The Aussies used some nifty tricks to penetrate the ring around one of the VC buildings (2 x SMC OVR in O4), but strong defensive fire in the final turn pinned or broke a number of squads desperately needed in CC. As a result, gaining the final two buildings for the win was not possible. A narrow Vichy win.

End game
View attachment 17727

We both liked and recommend this scenario. It’s one that could go either way as the current record shows (6-5 Vichy favor). The wide entry area for the Aussies is a challenge for the Vichy, but the terrain favors the defenders. In retrospect, some Aussie forces -- even a few -- pressing from the top of the board edge may have cased the Vichy to pull some defenders away from the main defensive force thereby weakening their ability to handle the main Allied juggernaut. I suspect this scenario will see lots of play for its ability to pack in a lot of action and challenge in a relatively short, tight, highly-playable package. Thanks once again to Curtis for a great game!
How long did it take?

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this one last week. Our playing was a blood bath with 70+% casualties on each side. Also, the squad count was 15 vs 12. My Aussies attacked along the same axis and were able to sneak around the back and grab I6. Fun scenario that should see a lot of tourney play.

Rob
Enjoyed a playing of AP162 The Governor from the latest AP16 with Curtis Brooks. Vichy French defending on board 60 which was nice – only recall one other scenario I played on it. VCs were Australians must control the I6 building and/or control ≥ 9 multi-hex buildings in 4.5 turns. Notable OB: 12 squads for the Aussies + 9-2; 9 squads for the Vichy plus two R-35s. I liked the looks of this scenario right away as the attacker has leeway on where to enter. This requires the defender to set up in a manner that provides the ability to shift quickly to meet the threat. This was certainly required as the Vichy expected the brunt of the attack from “top” edge of the board. In fact, most everything came in on the “lower-right”.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Decided to get better on posting notes on games I have finished for general amusement.

This week I wrapped up a PBEM game of BFP-90 Early Morning Action. I played Russians and Matias Dahlbäck was the German.

The tremendous firepower and high firepower SS made me think I had no chance. On the other hand I only need to have that one good order MMC left in the end. So -maximum confusion by the use of dummies and putting the high ROF 50mm mortar's and 37L Gun in the flanks to disrupt movement and also I was hoping to get a side/rear at one of the StuGs - there is a CVP cap and if the two German StuGs are destroyed it will make it pretty difficult for the German as they cannot afford too many additional losses.

Matias attacked heavy on the German right/Russian left Flank - I was expecting more direct approach but with hindsight this helped me as his fist two moves were not directly toward the back end of the victory area. On the other hand my gun was hiding on my right flank so it was not going to take out any StuGs in the early turns.

So - It tried to fool him with my dummies as much I could, taking shots only if I felt there was a real chance inflict damage and otherwise just slowly pulled back. By turn 4 of 6 Matias realized he was a bit behind and made a push, this resulted in me revealing the gun and breaking key SS squad. Other wise I rolled high and the last two turns were high tension drama as I tried to hang onto the last corner I had some semblance of defense in the Back Russian right/ German Left corner. One of the StuGs was killed in CC as he VBM freezed my units, the other survived bot cc and one single shot I had with the gun at him from the side (the gun saw side armor of a StuG for total of one MP through out the game!). On the last turn I had two and half squads remaining. I decided to defend one of he locations and all the other were firing in ever opportunity. I scored an ATR shock on the remining StuG, so it was out of the game as well but not CVP unfortunately.

I managed to break or PIN all the Germans coming to the last location I had, but he still had enough to muster a 24+3 AfPh shot against my last unit - Matias rolled boxcars and that was the game.

This one really takes strong nerves from the Russian player, you have to super patient and careful as you pull back. My game was helped by the indirect approach Matias chose to use. Great playing a new board for me BFP L- there were a couple of nasty LOS surprise for both of us.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played this one last week. Our playing was a blood bath with 70+% casualties on each side. Also, the squad count was 15 vs 12. My Aussies attacked along the same axis and were able to sneak around the back and grab I6. Fun scenario that should see a lot of tourney play.

Rob
Yes, 15-12 squads - my goof.

Indeed, the Aussies slipping a squad around the bottom was a real concern and I had a squad poised to advance into a blocking position until it was clear the unit wouldn't have the MFs to get to I6 -- or one of the back VC buildings behind the wall of Vichy troops.

Del

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I played an incredible game of BoF17 No Time to Bleed as the SS against the formidable Bo Siemsen. By Russian Turn 6 the exit option was not possible, but only two AFVs (of 13!) remained in play, a T-34 with Malf’ed MA, and an Immobilized Tiger, with the turret side on to the recently repaired ART 76L. I fired the MA of the Tiger to change TCA, and of course rolled Boxcars, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! 😩
Still, any game that close against Bo counts as a half victory. 😀

lt_steiner

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played BWC-10 Wrong Position from the LCP Blitzkrieg in the West Central Campaign as the Germans. Reinforced by armored cars, the German hit hard the British eliminating a gun and 2 squads. But the British reinforcements, 6 carriers, arrived too quickly at the end of turn 2, preventing easy exit for the Germans. And with the help of efficient fire, the British prevent my infantry to exit (3 infantry EVP required). An unexpected and painful (for me) British victory 😩. I am still barely ahead in the campaign game (six scenarios of the pack played as a campaigne) with 2 victories from both sides with 14 to 13 VP.

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Couple of scenarios I have finished this week:

BFP143 Gun Show played as the attacking Russian against Rami Saarinen who was playing the Polish. Rami set up heavily on middle board BFB O. Russian OB in this one has air support, OBA with plentiful ammo, assault engineers, bunch of of mortars and assortment of tanks so felt like playing late war western allies OB. There was a heavy battle on board BFP O where by turn 4 I got the upper hand and I entered board BPF L and started to go after victory buildings, and it quickly became apparent that he did not have enough to cover all of the buildings and he conceded at beginning on turn 6. Really different feel from the usual Russian early war OB.

FB14 At the Narrow Passage as the Hungarian. My Brother Teemu was German and my Cousin Mikko was Russian. I did not have the chance to prepare for this and just played it out. I was a statist in this one - but I learned a lot what is going o happen and will play this again for sure as I now have way better idea what to do. My brother won as the German in the end. A truly unique scenario and highly recommended. I am surprised that this one has not seen more play and discussion.