Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've decided my criteria for
hidden gems are scenarios we played a lot that I don't see many others playing on the Archive or ROAR.
Once again not really familiar with either of those sites so could be way off on my interpretation of how often they were played. Two more then.

Operation Varsity
This is listed frequently in my notebooks.

Standfast
Small scenario we played several times in a row.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ci Arrendiamo! The best rousing good Italian DTO scenario in the world. Italians are not fond of the name, it is not well balanced, but it is a real fun game with tin cans in the desert.

Mentioned in another thread - Red Star, Red Sun. DTO and PTO meet in a 1939 creeping barrage scenario with nearly everything going on that can go on when the Russians meet the Japanese.

Tac 19 Christmas Fields. Excellent scenario. German attack and American counterattack.

Tac 35 In Spite of All Opposition. The only scenario until Festung Budapest came along with four different nationalities in play at the same time. Another DTO fun run. Germans, Italians, French, and British - duking it out around Gazala.

LN 12 Nightmare at Naha- PTO in a DASL fight. The Leatherneck packs never got the love they deserved for quite a few good scenarios in them.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Ci Arrendiamo! The best rousing good Italian DTO scenario in the world. Italians are not fond of the name, it is not well balanced, but it is a real fun game with tin cans in the desert.

Mentioned in another thread - Red Star, Red Sun. DTO and PTO meet in a 1939 creeping barrage scenario with nearly everything going on that can go on when the Russians meet the Japanese.

Tac 19 Christmas Fields. Excellent scenario. German attack and American counterattack.

Tac 35 In Spite of All Opposition. The only scenario until Festung Budapest came along with four different nationalities in play at the same time. Another DTO fun run. Germans, Italians, French, and British - duking it out around Gazala.

LN 12 Nightmare at Naha- PTO in a DASL fight. The Leatherneck packs never got the love they deserved for quite a few good scenarios in them.
Enjoyed playing Ci Arrendiamo!

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Ci Arrendiamo many years ago, as the British. The trick (for me) was build a "fire sack" with the guns and portees and let the Italians enter it.
Then cut loose. I was killing the L3-lf with the Boys ATR.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've decided my criteria for
hidden gems are scenarios we played a lot that I don't see many others playing on the Archive or ROAR.
Once again not really familiar with either of those sites so could be way off on my interpretation of how often they were played. Two more then.

Operation Varsity
This is listed frequently in my notebooks.

Standfast
Small scenario we played several times in a row.
Not having played in over twenty five years I've decided my offerings are not quite hidden gems but more gems covered by the dust of the ages.🙄

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Still works. There's a lot of new guys. They have never even heard of them.
Thanks! Seems that way.

Since I'm on a Star Trek Next Generation kick today I'll put out another one.

A musician who was cryogenically frozen in the early 20th century is rescued by Data from a spaceship on the verge of disintegrating. Two others also frozen and rescued are having trouble adjusting to the 25th century.

Data observes that the musician is adapting very well. To which the musician replies that he is and that all his old songs will be new to the 25th century audience so his future looks good.

That sounded relevant in my head, not so much now. In my defense Actiondebbie and I had a couple shots of tequila earlier with Colonel Cuervo in honor of the ANZACS. 🤪🤪🤪

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Counterstroke at Stonne A66

The first scenario I remember Fish and I playing. February 28th, 1982. Fish won that scenario and the next thirteen. That of course in it's SL version. I have it listed as me vs Bill Conner, not Fish. Most likely the first time we played as I never called him Bill after our first meeting. Lots of names but never Bill.😉😉

Not many plays on the Archive and I didn't check ROAR.

Strange occurence when I did a search on the Archive. I typed in the scenario name and punched search and it said no results. Looking at what I had typed in it was Connerstrok at Stonne. I suck at typing but that was weird.

So if you feel like playing an early war oldie give this one a shot in memory of the great friendship it help spawn.😘

I do have us playing it as ASL.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Celles Melee IC 8/ OA 7

A handful of squads for both the Germans and Americans. Each side has more AFVs than squads.

The only time I ever beat Fish in a tournament. Michicon, June 17th 1989. The final round. I was the Americans and through ROF and timely Critical Hits took Fish down.

Not too many playings on the Archive although I did notice that von Marwitz had one of the recorded games.

Another scenario that we played quite a bit as it was published in In Contact.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Counterstroke at Stonne A66

The first scenario I remember Fish and I playing. February 28th, 1982. Fish won that scenario and the next thirteen. That of course in it's SL version. I have it listed as me vs Bill Conner, not Fish. Most likely the first time we played as I never called him Bill after our first meeting. Lots of names but never Bill.😉😉

Not many plays on the Archive and I didn't check ROAR.

Strange occurence when I did a search on the Archive. I typed in the scenario name and punched search and it said no results. Looking at what I had typed in it was Connerstrok at Stonne. I suck at typing but that was weird.

So if you feel like playing an early war oldie give this one a shot in memory of the great friendship it help spawn.😘

I do have us playing it as ASL.
Loved this scenario as well but have to tip my hat to Pedro Ramis' Stonne Heights HASL that still is, in my opinion, one of CH's better products. Hard to use Board 6 when you have the actual map.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Loved this scenario as well but have to tip my hat to Pedro Ramis' Stonne Heights HASL that still is, in my opinion, one of CH's better products. Hard to use Board 6 when you have the actual map.
Ah yes but CH wasn't even a glint in somebody's eye when Counterstroke came out.😉

Really good stuff wbitd for what was available to work with. When SL was more of a game than the accurate historical simulation ASL strives for. IMHO.

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Great thread. Here are a few Offbeat scenarios i enoyed:

HB 7 High Tide - a second vote on this great swirling din of burning tanks around the Kursk salient
ESG 60 Groupement Molinie's Honor French falling back against a German combined arms attack
DB084 Pot of Stew with variable reinforcements based on losses is quite an interesting scenario
BFP-83 The Second Belt - another East front slugfest that features great units and tactical options - this is up there in terms of monster quality...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Celles Melee IC 8/ OA 7

A handful of squads for both the Germans and Americans. Each side has more AFVs than squads.

The only time I ever beat Fish in a tournament. Michicon, June 17th 1989. The final round. I was the Americans and through ROF and timely Critical Hits took Fish down.

Not too many playings on the Archive although I did notice that von Marwitz had one of the recorded games.

Another scenario that we played quite a bit as it was published in In Contact.
The Jacksons were deadly against Fish's armor.