Fire Lane. Has there been a change?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I can see the (at least) morale effect of having a machine gun firing in one's direction - even when only a fraction of the bullets may reach one's exact "area". Just noticing bullets rip into the ground 20-30 meters close to you could be enough to have an effect.
Klas raises a great point.

IFT results other than actual casualty reduction (KIA, K/, boxcars) are more about the target's perception of being exposed and reacting to fire than that fire actually hitting anything.

atomic

Reaction score
First name
Asad
Country
llSweden
Personally I've never seen a Fire Lane just a constant (more-or-less) firing of the machine gun at a fixed angle/direction/etc.

I've more seen it as representing a machine gun crew that is concentrated on firing along a specific avenue/"area", constantly lowering/raising the barrel as needed depending on where in the "area" the targets are, etc.
So this is no firelane?

Jwil2020

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
So this is no firelane?
I think the answer to that is intuitively obvious to the casual observer?

Last edited:

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I can see the (at least) morale effect of having a machine gun firing in one's direction - even when only a fraction of the bullets may reach one's exact "area". Just noticing bullets rip into the ground 20-30 meters close to you could be enough to have an effect.
Agreed. I think that a lot of players forget that if ASL is modelling anything, it is the effect, not the cause.

indy

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
A machine gun has a a 'beaten zone', as it was called in my day. That is an area of dispersal caused by barrel wear, vibration, recoil and so on. A gunner can quickly adjust this beaten zone with the use of sights and following the tracer rounds ('walking' the fire onto the target). The use of, and switching to/from, 'ranging bursts' and 'killing bursts' is far quicker than one might think.

Gravity works. A tank's main gun, a machine gun or a rifle all need to adjust their aiming point to hit targets at various ranges but with high velocity rounds the adjustment need not be extreme if the sites are properly adjusted. I don't think gravity has had a rules update since my day. 🤔

Last edited:

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Fire Lane in ASL is more of what FPF is (in reality) to some degree, or what guys are referring to with the T&E locked and creating a wall of lead.
There are necessary game mechanics to represent certain things in ASL and I dont have a problem with them.

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I still have a problem with un-warranted FL attack rolls deriving from vehicles moving back and forth or along the FL and attempting to break the B11 MG. The FL owner should have discretion on whether he wants to roll or not in such a situation. Should have been fixed a long time ago.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I still have a problem with un-warranted FL attack rolls deriving from vehicles moving back and forth or along the FL and attempting to break the B11 MG. The FL owner should have discretion on whether he wants to roll or not in such a situation. Should have been fixed a long time ago.
<shrug> We all have problems.