Electronic ASL Rulebook Now on Sale!!

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Some prefer if without "inherited zoom" and some prefer with?
And some might prefer the hot links be in blue, not in red, so they don't distract you as you read.
And some might prefer the introduction and index to be in back, not in front where you have to paw past them every time to get to the rules.
And some might prefer the text to be seamless as opposed to being in two-column format, so you don't have to worry about zoom at all.

It's up to MMP, of course, but in my experience options are rabbits.*

Best of course would be selectable options, but I don't know if .pdf supports that.

-------------

* rabbit + rabbit = rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit. . . .

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
And some might prefer the hot links be in blue, not in red, so they don't distract you as you read.
And some might prefer the introduction and index to be in back, not in front where you have to paw past them every time to get to the rules.
And some might prefer the text to be seamless as opposed to being in two-column format, so you don't have to worry about zoom at all.

Best of course would be selectable options, but I don't know if .pdf supports that.

-------------

* - rabbit + rabbit = rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit. . . .
You didn't use copy and paste did you? You sat there and typed out all those "rabbit" didn't you? Poor man ..

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
You didn't use copy and paste did you? You sat there and typed out all those "rabbit" didn't you? Poor man ..
Neither. I simply typed "rabbit + rabbit" and the rest happened as if by magic!

Okay, okay, yes I did copy and paste--but it still was a lot of fun. (And, yes, Covid has really lowered the bar for what I consider fun.)

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden

-------------

* rabbit + rabbit = rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit, rabbit. . . .
Not sure I understand what you are saying here - you'd prefer just a single version?

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Not sure I understand what you are saying here - you'd prefer just a single version?
I'm saying that, yes of course I'd like more than one version to choose from among--but personally I don't care about zoom/no zoom: I'd much rather have the option of having hot links be in blue and the index be in the back. A player then might ask, "Well, why aren't my preferred options among the limited choices that MMP offers?"

The answer to that is you can't please everybody--it'd take too much effort and there'd still be unhappy people.

But in truth, I don't care about what options are/aren't offered. I'm concerned about something else: I know from personal experience of trying to maintain two or more versions of something that they don't always jibe with each other--something often seems to get forgotten in one or the other.

MMP can do what it wants, but I'd hate to see them expend effort maintaining two parallel versions of the eASLRB. It wouldn't bother me if they decided which was better--zoom/no zoom--and simply went with that.

Last edited:

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed, one version that the user can customize is best, but I don't know what the limitations of the PDF format are in that regards.

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some prefer if without "inherited zoom" and some prefer with?
OK, but to me that's like saying "some prefer the new version without the corrections, and some with..." I don't see any advantage to not having inherited zoom, so am asking why some people prefer it, for which use cases? Want to make sure I'm not missing something! :unsure:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
OK, but to me that's like saying "some prefer the new version without the corrections, and some with..." I don't see any advantage to not having inherited zoom, so am asking why some people prefer it, for which use cases? Want to make sure I'm not missing something! :unsure:
Aha! - then I understand - I read it as if your question was more directed at MMP - not the people who have the eASLRB. I don't have a copy so I can't say which version I prefer. :)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Klas, the only man on earth besides Perry who carries the ASLRB in their head for instant reference. 🆒
I think that's better said "Klas, the only man on earth besides Perry who carries an accurate ASLRB in their head for instant reference". I have seen a lot of people post rules here. -- jim

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
That would be the role of the PDF reading software to allow the user to override the document's settings. Which from what I can tell so far, the Adobe reader is pretty bad at actually doing. :)

Phillip

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So that when you move to a new page, you get the full page view and can orientate yourself.

It's not a good reason (for me at least) and not one that I buy into, but it's one that I've heard.

Last edited:

76mm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So that when you move to a new page, you get the full page view and can orientate yourself.
LOL, that's exactly what I don't want... I've tried reading lengthy pdfs on my iPad without inherited zoom and it's just not worth the effort IMHO.

Meanwhile inherited zoom has been working great for me since v1.04 on GoodReader (iPad).

Von Kar

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
What are the other improvements in the new version (v1.05) ?

malorum

Reaction score
First name
Howard
Country
llAustralia
The inherited zoom issue is not fixed with 1.05 inherited zoom version and Adobe viewer.
I found a solution, and it's confirmed working for others, when inherit zoom isn't working for them.
You need to use a text editor or a hex editor for this. Not a PDF editor.
Make a copy of your eASLRB "inherit zoom" copy.
Now search and replace every instance of /Fit with /XYZ
there are over 20,000 replacements to be done so it might take a while.
... and save the file.

I've had reports of Notepad++ working for this.

Those of us who use command line/unix stuff, will prefer
sed -i 's/\/Fit/\/XYZ/g' eASLRB_v1.05-INHERIT_ZOOM.pdf

or if you're editing in vi
:%s/\/Fit/\/XYZ/g

cheers

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I found a solution, and it's confirmed working for others, when inherit zoom isn't working for them.
You need to use a text editor or a hex editor for this. Not a PDF editor.
Make a copy of your eASLRB "inherit zoom" copy.
Now search and replace every instance of /Fit with /XYZ
there are over 20,000 replacements to be done so it might take a while.
... and save the file.

I've had reports of Notepad++ working for this.

Those of us who use command line/unix stuff, will prefer
sed -i 's/\/Fit/\/XYZ/g' eASLRB_v1.05-INHERIT_ZOOM.pdf

or if you're editing in vi
:%s/\/Fit/\/XYZ/g

cheers
Not that I am understanding too much of what you say. But I like it... :giggle:

von Marwitz